Calorie counting and other

Options
I get so frustrated with calorie counting. I read once that calorie counting is a form of an eating disorder. I already fought through anorexia and bulimia, not pretty. Now, at my heaviest and most miserable, I feel like calorie counting is the only way. Yet the small voice in the back of my mind reminds me that counting vegetable calories and fruit calories seems ridiculous to track. But then again, I think about a banana at 100 calories, and nuts at 300 keeps me fuller longer, while all those low-fat foods keep me cranky, bloated, yet happy. Does anyone know what I mean? Does anyone understand? I am tired of this body, it’s humiliating, disgusting and shameful, yet I can’t stop eating. Am I not supposed to eat whole foods without guilt?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand what you're saying. Except I think weighing every morsel you eat is way obsessive! I've never weighed food and I'm losing just fine
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    are you burning more calories than you're taking in? That is the most important thing to consider ;)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Anything can become a disorder if one obsesses enough about it.
    I'm sorry you feel so badly about your body. But you are not your fat. That is just a symptom of eating more than you are burning.
    If you have medical insurance, I'm going to suggest you meet with a nutritionist. He/she can easily show you how preparing healthy, delicious and filling meals will leave you very satisfied.
    I've been logging in daily here for 267 days. Not once have I felt like it is obsessive. It makes me mindful of what I eat, and it motivates me to get exercise.
    I feel NO guilt about eating. As long as I'm not overeating, I'm happy.
    Best of luck to you. Stick around and connect with some more members.
  • MistybytheSun
    Options
    I don’t weigh my food, I weigh myself. And that feels like a red flag. Is it not wrong to step on a scale everyday? When did loosing weight become so hard? 2 years ago I was fine (sorta) at eating 1,200 calories, the recommended. Now, I cannot bear to eat that little, even with clean eating. I feel out of control.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Frustrating is stating on these forums that you will always count calories .. that is when you have to start to worry. While you are in your journey .. you are still good, and yes count everything, that way you do not have to make the dreaded "I am not losing thread". But weighing your food is just fine .. at least now, but if you think this is hard .. wait til maintenance, that will tell you if you really did learn anything.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don’t weigh my food, I weigh myself. And that feels like a red flag. Is it not wrong to step on a scale everyday? When did loosing weight become so hard? 2 years ago I was fine (sorta) at eating 1,200 calories, the recommended. Now, I cannot bear to eat that little, even with clean eating. I feel out of control.

1,200 is the MINIMUM recommended - not the universal recommended - that depends on many different factors.

Only you can set your limits - you don't have to do what anyone else does. Play around with numbers, get to a place where you feel comfortable and you're eating foods you enjoy.

You say you've fought through anorexia and bulimia in the past - with a medical professionals assistance?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Lots of people weigh themselves everyday. Just don't get disheartened when your weight fluctuates up then down, then up again.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Worrying about whether counting calories is healthy or not is a strange topic to post...on a website dedicated primarily to, ya know...counting calories. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Personally, it's fast, simple, easy, FREE way of guaranteeing I never get back to the monstrous weight I used to be three years ago. It's part of my daily routine, and I don't "obsess" over it any more than I obsess over brushing my teeth twice a day.