Need to lose 20 lbs, strength or cardio?

Options
I'm just starting to work out again. I am 5' 6 and weigh around 160. I would love to lose around 20-25 pounds. I don't mind doing strength training, but I hate cardio. What would you recommend for a weekly routine. What is the minimal amount of cardio I should do?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to work out at all, just eat less calories.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love cardio personally :smile: There are lots of options to choose from, honestly it can be fun! But if you really hate it, I think an hour a week would probably be good, with the strength training. Or maybe 20-30 minutes for 3 to 4 days a week.
    Cardio is a really great way to burn calories, and relatively quickly too, but you can eat fewer calories than your maintenance calories to also be at a deficit.
  • Cook_27
    Cook_27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do like Zumba, and that is an hour long class. I'm just terrible at running which is one of the only other cardio things at the gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So why not run outside? That's the great thing about cardio... It's doesn't require any special equipment other than your own two feet.

I'm a reformed run-hater who completed Couch to 5K, ran a 5K, and decided I love running. I lost 17 lbs. just from cutting calories, but running/strength training has helped accelerate the process. Nothing is as efficient at zapping calories as running.
  • Cook_27
    Options
    I don't have stamina and my heart hurts when I run. I'm guessing that is just from me being out of shape. When it is warmer, I like to hike. However, my options are more limited in the winter. That is awesome loratiff that you love running now! How often should cardio be incorporated in one's weekly workout routine. I try to do a leg day, core day, and arm day with strength training.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    If you added some interval training (cardio with strength training), it is normally more effective in getting the metabolism boosted. Also, strength training is needed to build you muscles which helps to increase your metabolism too. Especially as you get closer to your goal weight, exercise can help get you there in my experience.

I purchased the T25 program on Amazon which was developed by Shawn T and it was an excellent program. Each workout is 25 minutes. Also, I purchased P90X3 which was a series of 30 minute workouts. Both these programs include a combination of cardio, strength training and stretching. They both include a calendar with a 60-90 time period and also include tips on healthy eating.

They do cost money but my experience has been that if I make an investment/put some skin into the game, I'm more likely to do it. Also, it's nice to be able to do the workouts on your schedule (early morning, after work, etc).

Good luck.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Why not both? I do a program that involves 5 min cardio, and then 5 min weights, etc. The weights give your heart/lungs a break, and the cardio gives your muscles a break and stretches them.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Cook_27 wrote: »
    I don't have stamina and my heart hurts when I run. I'm guessing that is just from me being out of shape. When it is warmer, I like to hike. However, my options are more limited in the winter. That is awesome loratiff that you love running now! How often should cardio be incorporated in one's weekly workout routine. I try to do a leg day, core day, and arm day with strength training.

If you like hiking, have you consider snowshoeing for winter? It's quite the workout, and is so much fun.

As far as "how" much cardio, well that's up to you. Twice or thrice a week is somewhat moderate I think, maybe not on or after leg day (let those muscles repair). Or do none. Cardio is for heart health (and eating more food, if that's your thing--I personally like that perk).
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Both.
    But weight loss is mostly eating at calorie deficit. (80% calorie deficit, 20% exercise. I have a co-worker that runs marathons and tri's every few weeks, he says that calorie deficit is an even higher percent than 80 for weight loss.)
  • Cook_27
    Options

If you like hiking, have you consider snowshoeing for winter? It's quite the workout, and is so much fun.

As far as "how" much cardio, well that's up to you. Twice or thrice a week is somewhat moderate I think, maybe not on or after leg day (let those muscles repair). Or do none. Cardio is for heart health (and eating more food, if that's your thing--I personally like that perk).

Haha, yes eating more food is my thing. I may try to do a little bit of cardio after core and arm day. Even it is only 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. Thanks!
  • I used to not be able to run at all without my chest hurting, but I started with walking (got up to a base of at least 30 minutes of brisk walking) and then used C25K to progress to running. I am currently on week 5 of the 9 week program and was able to run for 5 minutes at a time. When I started, the thought of running for five minutes was laughable to me. So it was a huge accomplishment in my fitness journey. So it could happen for you if you decide that is a form of cardio you are interested in. :smile: But with so many options, you could find something else that you like more. My niece and sister-in-law both love zumba and would rather do an hour of that than 30 minutes of running.

In addition to my C25k training, I am working through New Rules of Lifting for Women and You Are Your Own Gym. Both of these books were available at my library, so I didn't have to pay anything until I knew I was interested. With You Are Your Own Gym--there is an iphone app that I think is fantastic. I was glad I read the book to better understand his principles but I only bought the app. It has videos and keeps track of progress.

I also read Body By You, but since there was not an app for it (and because I loved the app for the other one so much) I decided to work on You Are Your Own Gym. But since Body By You is geared towards women, I'd recommend looking it over before deciding.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Phoenix, great job with C25K! I just ran 4 miles today without stopping and I owe it all to that program. Stick with it!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Zumba. You won't realize you're working out. Cardio for weight loss, strength for stability.
  • Cook_27
    Options
    I used to not be able to run at all without my chest hurting, but I started with walking (got up to a base of at least 30 minutes of brisk walking) and then used C25K to progress to running. I am currently on week 5 of the 9 week program and was able to run for 5 minutes at a time. When I started, the thought of running for five minutes was laughable to me. So it was a huge accomplishment in my fitness journey. So it could happen for you if you decide that is a form of cardio you are interested in. :smile: But with so many options, you could find something else that you like more. My niece and sister-in-law both love zumba and would rather do an hour of that than 30 minutes of running.

In addition to my C25k training, I am working through New Rules of Lifting for Women and You Are Your Own Gym. Both of these books were available at my library, so I didn't have to pay anything until I knew I was interested. With You Are Your Own Gym--there is an iphone app that I think is fantastic. I was glad I read the book to better understand his principles but I only bought the app. It has videos and keeps track of progress.

I also read Body By You, but since there was not an app for it (and because I loved the app for the other one so much) I decided to work on You Are Your Own Gym. But since Body By You is geared towards women, I'd recommend looking it over before deciding.

I'll have to check those out. It is encouraging to hear that you had trouble running as well. How many times a week do you work out?
  • DarkAngel_95
    Options
    I'm also on week 5 of C25K and had completed back in May was a great accomplishment to be able to run 30 min non stop.. But did not eat clean as I hoped and didn't lose the weight. This time around I'm eating clean and started running again. I run 3-4 times a week and until I am more fit then I will add in more strength and Pilates/Yoga to tone up. Currently sitting at 10 lbs loss since Nov 10!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Strength- you will build muscle which will in turn raise your metabolism, making it easier to burn off calories. And yes- calorie deficit. Hopefully you'll find some sort of cardio that you like to do so it will be fun- for me it's cycling, but there is so much to choose from. I really hate stationary bikes or the treadmill, so in the winter I walk an indoor track.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone else is saying. However, if you say "your heart hurts" I think I would get that checked out. It may not be just because you're out of shape. Just my 2 cents. Never hurts to be sure.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to work out again. I am 5' 6 and weigh around 160. I would love to lose around 20-25 pounds. I don't mind doing strength training, but I hate cardio. What would you recommend for a weekly routine. What is the minimal amount of cardio I should do?

I started doing Zumba in my house with YouTube on the TV. If you have a TV that can stream YouTube and a good amount of space in front for you to move, you can exercise with the videos on there.

• shelbyfit72
    shelbyfit72 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do strength training-you can do circuit training which is keeping heart rate up-I have done insanity-p90x-i do run -so try to get cardio in I use to hate cardio-but now I include it in my strength training-so good luck on your journey