ugh why do i do this?!

Options
I logged my exercise (even though i havent done it yet- but i plan to) and my food, and i submitted my food diary. within an hour of that, i junked out!

WHYYYY? do I do this???!!!!!

I do well all day long but as soon as I submit the food diary, i feel like....idk. kind of like "phew thats over! lets eat!"! And I wasn't even hungry!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    Oh and the whole "drink a glass or two of water- it will make you feel full"...that doesnt work! I have been drinking three 12oz bottles of water every hour...peeing non stop...and i still ran to the pantry as if i havent seen food in months!

*so ashamed of myself*
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't submit until you're ready to go to bed. Play the head game. Then you don't have any "free" time.
  • meechellebelle
    Options
    Have you tried not finalizing your day until right before bed? Maybe after you brush your teeth? That way, MFP is still "holding you accountable" until you've taken an action (like brushing your teeth and going to bed) that discourages you from eating more? I used to do the same thing. Hope this helps!
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    That's a good question it reverts back to a mind game with yourself, "you are your own worst enemy".
  • dekarlo08
    dekarlo08 Posts: 102
    Options
    I've done that too but I always make myself go back and add whatever I eat and take off whatever exercise I didn't do. If not I'd only be lying to myself. I think it might just be easier to wait till right before bed.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No shame, no shame! Guilt it often a useless and destructive force!!

Instead, just look at it as objectively as possible. So if you weren't hungry, what were you? Bored? Stressed? Sad? Happy? Mindless?

The idea of not closing your diary as previously posted is a good one. Log it ALL.

I'm an evening eater myself. Be sure you're eating enough during the day so you don't freak out at night. Try to fill up your time if you're bored.

We all slip. It's just one night. This is a new minute, right now. You can get back on track starting NOW!
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    Well I'm a night owl and I tend to not go to bed until around 3am. When I submit that late at night I tend to not get any feedback...and i love feed back. so i started submitting after i finish dinner, and i tell myself "nothing more to eat after dinner"...but it just doesnt work! !
    i know its a big head game that ive got to figure out! it just makes me feel crummy when i crumble and fail!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    how about not having bad things in the house??
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't fill it out until the next morning? Or, get rid of all the junk in your house that you can?

Either way - don't be ashamed of yourself! You're trying to make a major lifestyle change which, by the sounds of it, includes loving yourself enough to move forward with your eating. Little by little you'll get there :)
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    how about not having bad things in the house??
    I dont nec. have "junk food" in the house.
    it doesnt matter if its fruit, bread, left overs from dinner, etc....i just stuff my face at night with whatever i can find!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ever tried drinking peppermint tea at night?......Its a figure competetor secret, it curbs carb cravings, settles the stomach and helps with digestion!
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Drink something warm. Coffee will curb your appetite, but I wouldn't suggest that if coffee keeps you up at night.
    Tea will help though.

I drink coffee and tea after dinner to keep me satisfied through the night.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I work in the evenings (at home) until 1 a.m. This used to be my worst time as far as binges and emotional eating (bored, stressed, etc.). The thing that has worked the best for me is knowing that I need to eat something later in the evening and then planning for it. So I'll try to have 400 calories left after dinner and allow myself two snacks up until about midnight. If I tell myself I can't have anything, I know I'll want more!

So my advice would be to plan an evening snack, log it and complete your diary before you even eat it, then look forward to it and enjoy it!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    Ever tried drinking peppermint tea at night?......Its a figure competetor secret, it curbs carb cravings, settles the stomach and helps with digestion!

yum!!! i never even thought of that? i'm guessing it's hot tea?
  • shekaiser
    shekaiser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are you feeling when you are eating? You said you weren't hungry. Are your anxious? Worried about the next day? Bored? Try to figure out why you are eating and then tackle those emotions. Easy to say, isn't it? Hard to do. I find that the moment I step into my mother's house, I want to eat. I have some dragons to slay!
  • MrsJazi
    MrsJazi Posts: 17
    Options
    It sounds like it's more than mind games. Find out what triggers you wanting to eat. Is it the same time daily? I found out I am a "party" eater. Meaning, as soon as the kids go to bed, if I'm alone and it's "me" time. I grab something just because....I can and because the kids aren't around to say "Moma can I". LOL

In short, find the source.......
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    What are you feeling when you are eating? You said you weren't hungry. Are your anxious? Worried about the next day? Bored? Try to figure out why you are eating and then tackle those emotions. Easy to say, isn't it? Hard to do. I find that the moment I step into my mother's house, I want to eat. I have some dragons to slay!

I know this is a serious topic but your last 2 sentences made me laugh. I am the same way at my parents' house. I just seem to go on a food rampage when I get there and eat and drink things I dont normally have at my home...lol.

And I also have cravings after dinner too and most times I just have to resort to eating sugar free gum.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I always get snacky at night. Recently a solution I had was to make myself a cup of hot broth, chicken or beef... it's very salty though so if you're watching sodium is less awesome. but it's HOT so I would drink it slowly, plus it had the salt (obviously) that I tend to crave, PLUS it made me kinda sleepy from being warm... but best of all... it's only 5 calories a cup.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After dinner is my worst time too. I started to crochet and knit to keep my hands busy so they can't put things into my mouth. I also have a low calorie icecream after dinner so I don't feel deprived.

A lot of the time it isn't about the food, but by changing your habit you can go on to deal with the issues as you go along.

GG
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I can't see your Food Diary, but I'm thinking it's at least an even bet that you aren't eating enough calories during the day. Binging and craving are typical for people who are not eating enough overall.

Just a thought...