whey powder

Options
eleanoreb
eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
What are people's views on whey powder? i bought some for the first time recently and have yet to try it..

Also does anyone know how many tablespoons/scopp ( I bought mine at bulk barn and it didnt come with one..)

thanks!!

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I like mine - gives me a boost of protein without a lot of other stuff and tastes okay too. My scoop is 34g....not sure how that translates to TBspoons.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think for the one I use the scoop is 4 tbsp. The side of the container probably says how much weight per scoop, so you can potentially just weigh it out. And I'll bet the scoop is in there, just buried :)

My view on whey protein powder is that it's a very useful tool.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use it regularly -- I add it to yogurt to beef it up a bit and stick to my ribs.

The scoop size varies because each container is different. I've got three different containers, and three different size scoops for them.

Are you sure it isn't just buried?
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    1/8c is typical scoop size. 2oz, 4T. whichever.
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Nutrition information is legally required for bulk items, so the serving size should probably have been on the bulk container itself. You'll need to return to where you bought it (or call) and find out how much of the powder provides a single serving.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I bet it's in there. They sometimes make their way to the bottom. Fish around with a pair of tongs if you don't want to stick your whole hand to the bottom.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    sorry, but I'd rather eat a steak than powder.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's a quick and easy way (whey) to get additional protein in your diet in a convenient format. Depending on the brand, a serving contains anywhere from 20-40g of simple Protein....even more so if you mix it with Milk.

Tastes and soluability vary by brand so it's a matter of personal preference with what you're mixing it with.

Despite several claims you'll see in bodybuilding mags....it's not a magic powder....you still have to do all the work...but nutritionally speaking, it's an aid to increase your protein intake (likely in lieu of carbs/fats).

I've personally been enjoying the GNC Max Whey Pro Performance French Vanilla as it tastes just as good mixed with water as with milk. I've tried a couple other cheap ones (5 star from Walmart was one) and when mixed with water...it clumped up and was the texture of curdled milk...not pleasant at all.....in my opinion.

Cheers!
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Why do you feel it necessary to make snide comments on other people's threads?

It doesn't reflect well upon you.

Edited to add: I think it is a great way to get protein in your diet in a cost effective and less filling way. Personally I've had luck with Optimum Nutrition. I get it at GNC for a decent price.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel it necessary to make snide comments on other people's threads?

It wasn't snide. It was an honest response. She asked, I answered. She asked how everyone felt about whey powder. I answered. My response is just as important as yours.
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    there is no container..i got it from a bin..you know those stores where you measure however much into a bag and the weigh it at the cash.. but thanks. im guessing 31g is about 4T ?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I find it very useful and usually just add it to my green smoothies. Mine has the serving size in grams as well as the scoop so I usually just weigh it on my kitchen scale. For mine it's 24 grams per serving.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    the only reason you'd need extra protein in your diet is if you are a weight lifter/body builder. Even at that, most of us get plenty of protein in our normal diets..if we are meat eaters. we only need 40-60 grams a day of protein (american heart association). so you dont need any whey
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies (1 scoop with 2 TBSP fat free vanilla yogurt, 1 cup milk, 2 TBSP liquid smoothie flavoring and ice). Very yummy. My kids often have one of these for breakfast as well. I get mine at Costco. Muscle Milk's whey protein - 6 lb bag of vanilla flavored for approx. $32.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

Me too but I can't always afford that and the calories are a LOT less in the protein powder. :cry: :wink:
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    i lift weights, but to tone down..not to bulk up. haha last thing id want is to get bulky and gain weight. Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    theres probably a scoop buried in there.

if not read the nutritional info and see what a serving size is, then we can help you estimate.