Elliptical Trainer: Accurate Calorie Counter?

Options
MoRPCV
MoRPCV Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
29/F/5'9/273 pounds

I just bought an elliptical and plan on using it 30 mins a day/5 days a week to help with my weight loss and fitness. The problem I have is finding an accurate calorie counter. The elliptical I have doesn't count calories so I can't depend on that. When I go online and search "elliptical calorie counter," the amount of calories burned for a 30 min, moderate workout range between 320 calories-770 calories. MFP's calorie calculation is 557 calories for 30 min workout.

Any of you use a counter that you believe is most accurate? I want to be strict with counting calories and don't want a discrepancy in burned calories to slow my weight loss.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How far can you run in 30 minutes?
  • MoRPCV
    Options
    I haven't tried running yet so I have no idea. I figured losing some pounds on a elliptical first may help transitioning into running a bit easier.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    In that case you're most likely looking at a 30 minute burn of around 100 calories. When you get fit enough to run for half an hour, that can double.
  • MoRPCV
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OK thanks for the info! I know in a 30 min period on the elliptical it says I "run" 2.5-3 miles on average. But I'm assuming you mean actually running outside or on a treadmill and not on a elliptical.

Thanks again!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    MoRPCV wrote: »
    OK thanks for the info! I know in a 30min period on the elliptical it says i "run" 2.5-3 miles on average. But I'm assuming you mean actually running outside or on a treadmill and not on a elliptical.

Thanks again.

Right, I meant running "for real". Good luck! :drinker: