My protein powder came with a scoop that is the wrong size. How to measure?

Options
Hey, all.

I just started using Vega Sport Performance Protein. The serving is 1.3 ounces, presumably fluid ounces, right? The scoop, however, is very large and is marked "94cc", presumably "94 cubic centimeters", which is the equivalent of 3.18 fluid ounces. What gives? Does this happen a lot with protein powders?

I thought something was up when I started thinking that there's no way I can get 23 big scoops out of this 29oz container.

How can I precisely measure the servings? I already e-mailed Vega to see what they suggest. I guess I can take the total mass of the powder in the container (822g) and then divide by the number of servings (23) and come up with the mass per serving (35.7g), but then I'd have to have a scale at work.

-Ali

Replies

• en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale. Weight is the most accurate way to measure. If 1 serving is 1.3oz according to the package then measure to that.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use a digital scale to weigh my powder. I weigh the powder, put it in a mason jar and close it tight and pack it around where ever I need to go. I throw a mason jar in the gym back or lunch bag and I am good to go. I don't mix water or milk or anything in the mason jar when I pack it to go. I add water when I am ready to drink it. Those scoops are not 100% accurate. Best to weigh it on a digital scale, anyway.

If I were you, I would convert 1.3oz to grams. Weigh 3.85 grams. Put 3.85 grams of powder in my mason jar, and bring the mason jar to work. Add water or milk and shake up the mason jar at work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    food scale.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    food scale.

Agreed. My protein powder says a serving is one scoop, and the only other qualifier is the gram serving. One scoop is never actually the correct grams (too much or too little depending on different brands with different scoop sizes), so I just go by the scale.

Also, I pre-measure a serving and bring it in.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    TrimRocker wrote: »
    Hey, all.

I just started using Vega Sport Performance Protein. The serving is 1.3 ounces, presumably fluid ounces, right? The scoop, however, is very large and is marked "94cc", presumably "94 cubic centimeters", which is the equivalent of 3.18 fluid ounces. What gives? Does this happen a lot with protein powders?

I thought something was up when I started thinking that there's no way I can get 23 big scoops out of this 29oz container.

How can I precisely measure the servings? I already e-mailed Vega to see what they suggest. I guess I can take the total mass of the powder in the container (822g) and then divide by the number of servings (23) and come up with the mass per serving (35.7g), but then I'd have to have a scale at work.

-Ali

Bolded is where your train of logic took a wrong turn. If the weight is fluid ounces, it'll say 1.3 fl. oz. If it's dry ounces, it'll say 1.3 oz.

Dollar to a dozen donuts it's dry weight. Never seen a powder with servings given in fluid ounces.
  • Scottb4857
    Scottb4857 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No - not fluid oz, regular mass weight in ounces.

94cc liquid would weigh a lot more than 94 cc of a dry powder. I know on my brand the scoop if just slightly rounded is equal to the 34g serving size.

As said- if you really want it accurate have to get a good little digital scale. Online or at walmart around $10-$15. Just make sure it toggles between oz and grams. A little correction for the previous post: 1.3 oz dry = 36.85 (or 37) grams.

Last thing - I'm sure the manufacturer wouldn't mind you using more than the serving size written on the package - just gets to sell you more powder then.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    food scale.

This
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    food scale.

Agreed. My protein powder says a serving is one scoop, and the only other qualifier is the gram serving. One scoop is never actually the correct grams (too much or too little depending on different brands with different scoop sizes), so I just go by the scale.

Also, I pre-measure a serving and bring it in.

Mine is like "one heaping" scoop... so I figured out what that looked like- now I just level it- so I know calorie wise I'm under.

If I'm bulking I might do a heap- or two scoops of 3/4 full. But as long as it's level- for my purposes- and I know I'm under the actual #'s- I'm okay.

But I do use my food scale when I'm at home- down side is I mostly use my protein powder at work with my yogurt LOL
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Powders are measured in dry ounces, not liquid ounces. I am usually happier when they are measured in grams, though, since grams are more precise for such a light weight item. I could do the math myself, sure, but I already have difficulty doing it in my head and it would be a disaster first thing in the morning. :unamused:

I put my shaker bottle on the scale, turn on the scale, measure 36 grams of powder into the shaker bottle, close the bottle and take it with me. I then add water when I'm ready to drink it. You could also portion the powder out into Ziploc baggies or small, reusable plastic containers and then take it to work already pre-measured.
  • TrimRocker
    TrimRocker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Great advice. Will go home and use my kitchen scale to see exactly what 1.3oz of my powder looks like and go from there.