How does my fitness routine look?

Options
HangoverSquare
HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I am 6'0'', 228lbs. I'm aiming to lose belly fat and build muscle, and hopefully reach 185 within the next year.

I was wondering if some of you could offer your thoughts on my fitness plan. On top of this, I'm taking in 1480 calories/day.

Is it too much? Too redundant? Too little? Thanks in advance!

Monday:
Squats, 5reps/5sets w/barbell
30 pushups
30 minute walk

Tuesday:
60 minute walk

Wednesday:
10 Box Jumps x3
10 Ball Slams x3
1 minute shadow boxing x3
30 Pushups
30 minute walk

Thursday:
60 minute walk

Friday:
Squats, 5reps/5sets w/barbell
30 pushups
30 minute walk

Saturday:
60 minute walk

Sunday:
30 minute walk

Replies

• Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No rest day at all?

I'm definitely no expert, but from my own experience I know that I will almost certainly drop any programme that doesn't have any rest days. I'm the kind of person that really doesn't enjoy working out a whole lot (not yet at least), and I really need that one day of not having to do anything to just relax, get my head together and get back in the game.

Other than that, I can't really give any tips 'cause like I said, I'm no expert :smile:
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    So why not a beginners strength routine interspersed with running?

Can't run until I get a bone spur taken care of in my knee in February.
    Wondertje wrote: »
    No rest day at all?

I thought about it, but I usually walk about 60 minutes a day after dinner, anyway. Figured it wouldn't hurt to keep it up every other day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I think some people take the concept of "rest day" too literally. It doesn't mean stay in bed all day. ;) 30-60 minutes of walking isn't a workout for many people.

OP - Pushing and pulling sets should be about equal in number. Pushups are pushing of course, so add some pulling sets, like the barbell row.

Deadlifts & lunges are good basics too, as are shoulder presses.

Calories seem too low.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hangover, I'm a 64 y/o 5'7" woman who exercises pretty hard five days a week and I'm losing weight averaging 1600 calories a day. I don't think you're eating enough if you're logging accurately.

Sorry about the pic, it's for TBT and about 30 years old.............LOL
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I can easily eat 1500 calories/day and still lose weight.

Are you currently doing full pushups with proper form? If so, figure out something more challenging, put your feet on an elevated surface, for example.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    For a male your size, you should be taking in WAY more calories. I highly recommend you re-think your approach on that front.

Also, rest days are important to take, both mentally and physically. You're walking isn't really anything too strenuous, so you can probably get away without taking a rest day... BUT... I would encourage taking a rest day at least every once in a while. Maybe take a Every other Sunday off or something. Just to give your body a little TLC.
  • Wondertje
    Options
    Are the calories you say to take in with the exercise loss included, or is it the MFP NET/NEAT approach where you'll eat back your exercise calories?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Calories seem too low.

This.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm 6'2 208, and if you want to build muscle you should do lifting. You're not doing anything for your chest/arms/back/core. 30 pushups is a waste of time and 25 total reps for legs isn't a leg day. You're doing far too minimum.

Also at what speed are you walking? It should be something like a 4+ mph at a 2+% incline, something atleast mildly challenging like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No rest day at all?

I'm definitely no expert, but from my own experience I know that I will almost certainly drop any programme that doesn't have any rest days. I'm the kind of person that really doesn't enjoy working out a whole lot (not yet at least), and I really need that one day of not having to do anything to just relax, get my head together and get back in the game.

Other than that, I can't really give any tips 'cause like I said, I'm no expert :smile:

He has a couple of days of just walking....I've never known walking to interfere with recovery. You only need rest from vigorous/strenuous activity...and a rest day can still be generally active.

OP...personally I'd pick up a beginner strength program. I started with Starting Strength when I got back into things...very good program. I prefer the 3x5 programming to the 5x5 programming of StrongLifts when in a calorie deficit...less recovery issues in my personal experience...but then again, I'm oldish. I really like the New Rules Supercharged as well...more of a general fitness type of format than a pure strength program.

With your stats and activity level, I'd also recommend eating more than that. I'm 5'10" and I lose pretty easily and steadily at around 2200 calories...about a pound per week at that intake. Even when I didn't exercise I was eating around 1800 calories or so to lose about 1 Lb per week. I personally couldn't and wouldn't want to eat 1500 calories...you could have some recovery issues eating that little as well.
  • Wondertje
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No rest day at all?

He has a couple of days of just walking....I've never known walking to interfere with recovery. You only need rest from vigorous/strenuous activity...and a rest day can still be generally active.

Yeah, that's why I tried to explain how I felt about things personally, didn't seem to come across so well. I'm not the kind of person to enjoy working out really, though I try to do my best of it at least 3 times a week. But even just taking a 30 minute PW or a 60 minute slow walk is a chore for me, something I don't enjoy. And if I do it 6 times a week I'd quite at the end of week 1, no doubt. I need full rest days, where I can do nothing but play games, sing, play the guitar and sit around with friends all day in order to live a life where my mental health is in a good place. It was just personal opinion, really.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    First off your calories are low as mentioned but more to the point I don't understand your goals so I have no idea of that is helping you get to where you want to be. You are also neglecting your back.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Add some pullups, plank rows, etc. When your pushups get easy, you can intensify with different angles, elevations, hand position, vertical, etc.

Walking everyday is fine. You can increase the intensity when it gets easy, by adding a backpack with weight, or finding some hills.

If you enjoy the shadowboxing... maybe add a heavy bag workout, or other boxing/fighting training.

As far as calories goes... you are going to have to experiment and find what works for you and your goals. If you've got energy and are losing at a healthy rate, you are probably okay. But if you don't have any strength or energy to work out, or are losing too fast, or not fast enough, you will have to adjust in a healthy manner.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Eat more