What to eat if...

Options
What are some ideas you guys have if I am in College, I don't have a stove, I have a microwave, a mini fridge and the drive to lose weight,...... I need nutiritional ideas for when I go shopping again, since my choices cannot be TOP RAMEN and HOT POCKETS lol... tooo much sodium... Can't wait to see your ideas... =) Thanks

Replies

• Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Well for breakfast I would suggest plain oatmeal with sugar free syrup and splenda brown sugar blend added in. You could add other things to the oatmeal but it is low in cals, keeps you full and you can make it in the microwave.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't really have any ideas for a microwave, but maybe you can find someone that has a stove that will let you go over and make something (in large quantity) and then put it in single serving containers, then use the microwave to warm them up.

Wow, that's one heck of a run-on sentence.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Can you get a toaster oven? You can make pizzas and stuff in there, just on a smaller scale.

Peanut butter on apples is tasty. I also like eating sliced avacado and tomato on toast. Yum!
  • deannar417
    deannar417 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    microwave meals like Smart one and ect. They are for weight loss. And they are gooooddddd. There are several brands and several types you can heat up. I eat them for lunch almost everyday. Good luck.
  • wildkiger
    wildkiger Posts: 25
    Options
    Personally, I would avoid oatmeal. It's low cal, but very high carb. I am following an 80% primal diet as is my mom who has been having huge success. Go for lots of fresh veggies (you don't have to cook!) and eggs. You can find lots of ways to cook them in the microwave, though they may not taste the best. Cheese is another good protein source.

Good luck and hope this helps.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i love love looooove the microwave steamer bags for veggies. 2 mins and you have nice fesh steamed veggies. do you have an electric kettle? cause oatmeal is yummy, filling and good for you. snacky things like almonds, cheese, dried fruit...those are really good. as for real meal stuff..that' a toughy. potatoes and sweet potatoes work well cooked in a microwave. do a search online for microwaveable meals...i am sure there has to be some sites dedicated to that.
  • pinkcess22
    pinkcess22 Posts: 60
    Options
    soup , patatoes you can place them in the microwave they can cook maybe healthy microwave foods try an cheack the calories of them tuna chicken lamb, you can go to a kebab place if you have one just buy the meat make salad next to it
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Can you get a toaster oven? You can make pizzas and stuff in there, just on a smaller scale.

Peanut butter on apples is tasty. I also like eating sliced avacado and tomato on toast. Yum!

Toaster oven would be a great idea. You can make lots of stuff in them.
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    NO NOT RAMEN!!! lol i was in your shoes a few years back and wish i was on mfp then! fridge staples... deli turkey, string cheese, chobani yogurt- quick protein meal anytime, milk/almond milk, pantry/closet staples.... oatmeal, cereal (kashi is really yummy and healthy), dried fruit, nuts. Good luck shopping, friend me if you need any more advice =)
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you can get a hot plate (make sure it's a good one) if they allow it where you live you can cook some things. Another terrific item is a crockpot. I use mine all the time. They come in a lot of different sizes and you can prepare things in the morning or evening, turn on the crock pot, and let it cook. You'll have a delicious and nutritious meal. If it makes too much food, you can freeze a few small containers and have them at other meals.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You can also buy little portable element things that just sit on your counter, I had one of them when I was in college so at least I could cook stirfrys and stuff.

Like this:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JeAAoAOhL.jpg

Lean Cuisines are alright for the microwave, but I would really look into the element thing and then you can make a ton of stuff :D
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What are some ideas you guys have if I am in College, I don't have a stove, I have a microwave, a mini fridge and the drive to lose weight,...... I need nutiritional ideas for when I go shopping again, since my choices cannot be TOP RAMEN and HOT POCKETS lol... tooo much sodium... Can't wait to see your ideas... =) Thanks

There are a TON of frozen veggies that are microwaveable. You can also nuke sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I like getting frozen organic burritos too (Amy's is a good brand). It'll be tough to cook meats without a stove but you can always buy the whole cooked chickens they have at the grocery store. A toaster is a good idea (as someone above me suggested) since you can make a lot of stuff with that. Since I assume you live in the dorm if you don't have a stove, you also have access to the dining hall so just be sure to make good choices there. Don't overdo the frozen microwave meals - they have a TON of preservatives and tend to have a lot of sodium too. Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender, a mixer bottle, or a toaster?

One of my very favorite meals is a slice of bread (45 cal), a piece or two of salame (70 cal for 5 pieces), and as much fresh baby spinach as I can stuff into that little folded over bread bit (usually 20grams - less than 6 calories) So this lunch sandwich is only 120 calories (less if you use less salame) and it is my mainstay for foodage. Sometimes I slab a little butter on it (about 30-50 cals depending on how much)

I also suggest a blender or mixer bottle to mix a bit of milk with a protein powder. They are pretty great.

It sounds like you would benefit from fruits, they can sit on the counter and don't require refridgeration. Strawberries, bananas, apples. Do be aware of how quickly they rot, though. You don't want to buy a whole bunch then have to toss them because you didn't eat fast enough.

Do you have a hot plate if not a stove? If you have a pot you can get some leggumes, lentils, beans of any kind to make some protein rich dinners. Just boil in water and drain :smile: I love them.

Also, a crock pot you can purchase rather cheap (20-30 dollars) and you can build a meal, go to class, come home and it's ready :happy:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    oatmeal for breakfast :)

Salads for lunch

You could make microwave chicken... Delicous!!!

You could buy canned beans and eat them, frozen veggies...

try buyin a small crock pot. Them things are pretty cheap :) and you can make alot of different meals in them

Stick with unsweetened almond milk it's really good and low in calories.

idk, I am all outta ideas :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    CallMeMamaBoo Posts: 295
    Options
    Plain oatmeal (mom's natural is my favorite brand) with sugar free maple syrup is YUM!
    Frozen veggies that you can steam in the bag. YUM!
    Potatoes are the best in the microwave.
    And look up English Muffin Pizza recipes. SO YUM!
  • hillaryt22
    hillaryt22 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am also in college and I live in the dorms (with a microwave and mini fridge.) one thing I use is a microwavable egg poacher (from walmart for like $3) and I cook 2 eggs in the morning then microwave a piece of 50 cal sunflower bread and put a little spray butter on it. Also, at my school they have all of the nutritional information for the food served in the dining hall online which is really helpful when making healthy choices. Another thing that I found is that they do not always serve cooked veggies (my favorite) but a trick I learned is that if I just get my meal to go, I can steam veggies in my microwave. Hope this helps!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I make eggs in the microwave all the top. I'm talking omelet like eggs. I chop up onion, add 1/2 tsp of oil to that and microwave for 1 min. next I chop of tomato and mushrooms and add that to the onions and microwave for another min. remove from microwave, stir together. I next crack and scramble 2 eggs, top with a 1/4 cup of daiya shreds and microwave for 1.30. remove, stir, check for doneness, add veg, microwave for anywhere from 30 - 50 sec. You have to keep checking initially until you get a feel for how your microwave cooks. Also remember it keeps cooking a bit after you remove it so you want to undercook slightly in order to get nice, fluffy eggs Once you get the hang of it, you can add any topping you choose. or you can make toppings and microwave a potato, ~4 mins on each side for a medium potato Both are good hearty meals.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the dorms, we used to "steal" milk and cereal from the cafeterias (we weren't supposed to carry food out, but did anyways!) Also, one of the cafeterias had a deli-like stand, so you could get sandwiches to order. Plus the salad bar was always good.

Good luck to you- I know college can be hard eating wise. I feel like I survived on grilled cheese in those days :).
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Mini grill! I have a small george foreman that I got from walmart for less than 15 dollars and use it daily! If not, aside from the sodium the healthy choice, smart ones are designed to be portion controlled. They are also relatively cheap!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great go-to food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and dessert. Top with fresh fruit, low-sugar jam, a little honey, nuts, dried fruits. Use as a dip for veggies. Use as sour cream for quesadillas and baked potatoes (cooked in microwave). I like keeping rice cakes (Rice Thins by Real Foods are amazing if you can find them) and topping them with nut butters Laughing Cow cheese, or even topping them with lean meats and some tomato and mustard.