Bring on the hot toddy's

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
I'm still sick.

I want options.

My go to boring- but it's my standby...
plain black tea (no earl gray for this one!)
Bourbon/whiskey
honey
orange

I know there are buttered rum- and ice cream versions.

lay it on me- what's your favorite!!!- liquor me up and give me sweet promises of a wonderful after work sleeping party at my house.

Replies

• buggzero
    buggzero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hot Toddy w/ Ginger Tea, you can switch up the burbon for rum. With a thick slice of lemon.

There's a place in town that makes it with ginger tea from scratch, and it's amazing -- probably something close to this: mindbodygreen.com/0-12468/the-best-homemade-ginger-tea-ever.html
  • JoRocka
    Options
    herrrrrrrrrm- I have some of that- I'll try it.

Thank you.. I've been wanting to experiment with the ginger teas- I won't drink them out and out usually.

thanks!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm adding this one- NSFW- because well- it's NSFW... which makes me automatically like it.

http://www.saltyseattle.com/2010/11/molecular-gastronomy-hot-ice-cream-true-hot-toddy/
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hot spiced/mulled cider with Apple Pie moonshine. Mmmmmmm.

If it doesn't cure what's ailing you, then drink a little more and you'll have recovered by the time you wake up.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I make a tea with 1 lemon, 2 tsp honey and a couple slices of ginger... then I drink it as hot as my mouth can stand.

I know, it's not a Hot toddy per say. .. oh! I've heard a shot of tequila also does the trick.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Nah- it's okay- all comfort "food" hot drinks are welcome.

one of my childhood remedy's which I still drink today is straight up apple cider vinegar and lemon- about 2 tablespoons of each- add water- adjust taste as needed.

it's a bit pungent- but you get used to it and I wound up liking it. It sounds very much like a more aggressive version of what you've posted. So I'm game. And yes- as hot as you can take it- that's the only way to drink such drinks. I concur (my weird coworker lets his drinks cool for at least 10 minutes- I don't trust him at all!)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    This is an overly simple one: Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple hot tea with Captain Morgan's spice rum; a packet of sweetener, a dash of lemon juice and a cinnamon stick to stir. I love it!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    A whole bucket of Margaritas. They're not hot, but you'll be so wasted that it won't even matter ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    A whole bucket of Margaritas. They're not hot, but you'll be so wasted that it won't even matter ;)
    I love that you think that way.

perhaps on Wednesday- my day off. I have dance tonight and tomorrow- no time to get schwasted. LOL
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've also been sick so I started making these: Chai tea + 1 oz bourbon + 2 cubes sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer) + 3 oz milk (almond, cow, whatever). Perfect night cap.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I need to start using my spicy chai's- I have some- I never use them. I shall add it to the mix!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So a hot toddy is the spirit with tea or hot water.

However, I do make a good hot buttered bourbon/rum.
    Unsalted, fresh butter
    Vanilla sugar or brown sugar
    cinnamon for days
    a dress shoe full of fresh shaved nutmeg
    pinch of salt for you, and one for the devil
    one egg yolk, because egg
    bonus flavorant - add whatever you like, I like using this as an excuse for mixing in angostura bitters

Cream butter and sugar (sugar to taste, seriously.), then beat in the rest of the ingredients, it should have a texture reminiscent of honey butter. Keep chilled.

Heat your mug, because we're not cavemen. Add in a measure of butter mix, based on preference, and add about two fingers of boiling water, and beat to set the temper on the eggs and get the butter melted. Add more boiling water, until the spirit of the water speaks a hymn to the heavenly theater. Add in your whisky or rum in a measure that would make a politician smile. Add a small knob of butter to float on top prior to serving, and sprinkle with a faery's pinch of salt.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

so much yes.