Any mom breastfeeding exclusively?

Options
I think my milk supply maybe going down? How many calories are you eating and is your milk supply still good? I have a four month old and im eating 1500 or less sometimes more,and I tryed to pump the other day and only a lil came out

Replies

• DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    BUMP:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OKAY, just kidding.. Please proceed.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    If you notice a drop, put baby on breast more (supply and demand)... try to drink ya some skim milk too.

Remember, log your breast-feeding calories.

No longer breast-feeding my baby- she weaned in Feb. after 15 months.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I have heard you do not want to go lower than 1500 calories, or it will effect your milk supply. As it is, I'll be delivering and nursing in about a month, so will find out.
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Im a breastfeeding mom, I've heard oatmeal is supposed to help increase milk supply. After I typed in my goals, it told me to only eat 1,200 calories a day, so I changed my goal so I could consume more calories to make up for the breastfeeding. So now my limit it 1,440. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water! Hope this helps :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding moms need more calories! If you lower your calorie intake to weight loss levels, your supply will probably decrease or stop all together. Maybe try increasing calories 100 or 200? I agree with PPs who said drink lots of water and increase frequency of feedings.
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    I am and also have a 4 month old. I enter "breastfeeding" into my food diary so its -500 calories. I am usually at 1200 calories at the end of the day but its really 1700 (adding in the 500 calories that you initially subtract). So its 1200 net. I haven't noticed a drop in supply but I've always had plenty of milk. Make sure you are eating and drinking enough. I know its hard to do but try to focus on your nutrition for baby and yourself before thinking about weightloss. Your baby will only be nursing for so long. (I can't believe that in 2 months mine will be starting solids.... her babyhood is going by waaay too fast!). I also heard eating oatmeal helps with supply.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ive been only breastfeeding for 19 months now, its supply and demand, he eats like every 2 hours... Sometimes its hard to be away because I get full and its uncomfortable and I dont have a pump.
    Drinking hot stuff helps a lot and taking extra calcium in
    I can cut calories but never affects milk supply
    If u need help gnc sells a tea to help milk flow...
    Good luck
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thank you all!! He seems to be gaining weight very well hes 15lbs, but I used to be able to pump alot now its nothing..and I definetly want to breastfeed for as long as I can
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    It's been a long time since I had a babe at the breast...but I did it for 6 years! I seemed to get a drop in milk supply around the 4-6 month time frame and trust me...I was eating plenty then!! My first one was always latched on too, I was his pacifier. I was told to take fenugreek supplements and when I did, my supply came back with a vengeance within a few days. You can find them in the health food store. Mothers Milk tea has fenugreek in it as well.

Good Luck and happy nursing!
  • danielsmommy10
    Options
    i go with 1,800 plus my breastfeeding calories i use the daytime and nighttime. i don't usually use my breastfeeding calories, but only because i have my calories set so high, it gives me room in case daniel has a growth spurt or starts nursing more and i need to eat more. make sure what you're eating is healthy and that you're drinking tons of water. if that's not enough to get your milk where it needs to be, you can try fenegreek. it's a herbal supplement to help increase your supply. also try mother's milk or nursing mother's tea, you can find it with the other teas at the store. the oatmeal idea from above also will help, not just the quaker instant stuff, get good whole grain oatmeal. you can check out more helpful ideas at kellymom.com. if none of that helps let me know, my mom's a lactation consultant of the state of texas and she can give me more ideas.