Thermos brand recommendations for hot meals/bev in COLD weather

Options
Hi all. I live and play in very cold weather. I like to bring homemade food with me on day trips like skiing or working on the road. I have a small Thermos brand stainless steel thermos and today at 20 degrees F my piping hot coffee was lukewarm in 2 hours. Anyone have a brand/model they use for these circumstances ? Appreciate and tips, thanks !

Replies

• jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    *any* tips, sorry
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Do you prep your thermos by filling it with boiling hot water before you fill it with your food or beverage? My son uses one daily and he said once he started doing that his food stayed very hot. He fills it and lets it sit for at least 5 minutes closed up before emptying it and putting his food into it.
    He uses the Thermos brand also.
  • jim_just_jim
    Options
    I'll try that tomorrow @oldmomma, thank you !
  • bswith22
    bswith22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hydroflask, they're a company based out of a town in oregon, but you can get them online, they are amazing! I had one filled with tea, when skiing for 3 hours and left in in a cold van, and when I came back I had to take the lid off to let it cool for a while so I wouldn't burn myself. They are also amazing for keeping water cold in the summer, after hours in 85 degree weather, my ice hadn't even melted
  • jim_just_jim
    Options
    bswith22 wrote: »
    Hydroflask, they're a company based out of a town in oregon, but you can get them online, they are amazing! I had one filled with tea, when skiing for 3 hours and left in in a cold van, and when I came back I had to take the lid off to let it cool for a while so I wouldn't burn myself. They are also amazing for keeping water cold in the summer, after hours in 85 degree weather, my ice hadn't even melted

Thanks ! They sell them on Amazon. That sounds exactly like what I want.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hydroflask stuff will keep cold stuff cold for at least 24 hours and stuff hot for 12.

I've put ice water in those things and had them not just be cold, but still have ice in there 27 hours later...even after being left in a hot car for a while. Never went over 12 for hot stuff, so don't know about that. It kept stuff hot for six hours. :)

They're a beeyatch to wash and are not dishwasher safe, but they are good for insulation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    Do you prep your thermos by filling it with boiling hot water before you fill it with your food or beverage? My son uses one daily and he said once he started doing that his food stayed very hot. He fills it and lets it sit for at least 5 minutes closed up before emptying it and putting his food into it.
    He uses the Thermos brand also.

GREAT advice. I do this to cool things, but hadn't thought about it to keep things warm.
  • jim_just_jim
    Options
    Tried the warming prep, didn't work with my stainless tell Thermos brand. Maybe just too darn cold ? Just below freezing outside, not terrible, boiling water is lukewarm in 2 hours :( Hydroflask here I come.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The brand isn't as important as the rating (I mean, it sounds like hydroflask only makes super, so I don't mean to knock brands). I went around to the camping stores comparing ratings (basically, how long it is supposed to keep your food above ambient temperature) and I believe I ended up with a highly rated Stanley. Even Thermos sells some that are meant to keep your soup warm when it is in the 60s and some that are meant to take out on the job site in the freezing rain.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The ones I use are Bubba brand. There are a bunch of different styles and sizes, but the ones I have are supposed to keep liquids hot for 8 hours or cold for 12. They are also dishwasher safe.