Looking for derby girls...

Options
frompster
frompster Posts: 27 Member
I'm a big girl. Surely a prize in any pack.

Looking for other roller derby girls that have lost or trying to loose 50+ pounds in conjunction with derby.

I'm definitely a blocker and have had some major success in a lot of areas including scrimmaging.

I was recently declined my basic skills test because of my endurance. That is my goal... i could care less if I loose weight (been a fatty forever), but I want/need better health to survive the endurance portion of my skills test.

Also lots of work to do in developing my quick footwork laterally.

Currently hanging around 19-20 laps in 5 minutes instead of the required 25 in 5. Doesn't sound like a lot, but if you knew how I almost die getting that far, it would...

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jaceface12
    Jaceface12 Posts: 1
    Options
    As a fellow derby girl... I'd say use an ipod during your laps to keep you motivated. As far as endurance... try going to open skates and skating as fast as you can until you can't skate anymore then take a breather for a while and then repeat. It helped me a lot. This helps build endurance rather than forcing yourself to go, go, go all at once. Also, how hard are your wheels? softer wheels will do wonders for you lap time. Hope this helps :)
  • frompster
    frompster Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm trying with the iPod this week some. We do pyramid of pain at least once a week to help develop the endurance. But that is laps incremented from 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and back down. its not all 25 at one time.

my wheels are flat outs (88a). we skate on polished concrete and as a beginner I needed lots of grip because I was uncomfortable sliding around. Just wanted more control. The other girls in our league tell me that my wheels are like skating in quick sand and that I appear to be working really hard and not getting the full value of each step.

It has been recommended that I change to metal hub wheels (due to my weight and height) and increase durometer to a 92 or 93. I'm looking at some hyper cannibals.

We only bid/test 3 times per year. I have until the end of August to pull this off.