First marathon

Options
Hey all - looking for any advice to start training for my first marathon and what to expect or join up with others considering or already training for a full!!! I've ran a few halfs, relays and shorter races but this is a big deal :smile:

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give, without knowing much about you, is grab a plan off the Hal Higdon site and follow it as best you can. His plans are great for getting people through their first marathon.

Expect a LOT of running. 500-1000 miles in preparation. A few pairs of shoes, and towards the end, a lot of planning around the training, some good ole' fashioned race anxiety and jitters, then on race day it will be epic, it will be painful, but it will be worth it.

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i have no experience, but i have enjoyed hal higdon and jeff galloway for books on the topic. make sure you have at least 2 pairs of shoes. i have done a short-distance run in an event that included marathoners and the experience was incredible. good luck to you!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey all - looking for any advice to start training for my first marathon and what to expect or join up with others considering or already training for a full!!! I've ran a few halfs, relays and shorter races but this is a big deal :smile:
    Expect to understand that 13.1 is a pretty short run.

I'm loosely following a plan by Jeff Gaudette off RunKeeper.

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-marathon/10?menuSelection=TRAINER&sponsorId=6&trainerSlug=jeff-gaudette
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Expect to understand that 13.1 is a pretty short run.

I'm loosely following a plan by Jeff Gaudette off RunKeeper.

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-marathon/10?menuSelection=TRAINER&sponsorId=6&trainerSlug=jeff-gaudette

Yeah - I just finished half marathon training. 6 mi is now a 'short' run, so I can see how this can be.

OP, prepare to spend a lot of time per day on your training. Somehow, even though I could calculate how much time my long runs would take out of my day, I always failed to consider how much slower I would be moving for the rest of that day. Especially when your shoes start getting worn down. #legfatigue #achyfeet
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Best advice I can give, without knowing much about you, is grab a plan off the Hal Higdon site and follow it as best you can. His plans are great for getting people through their first marathon.

I agree with this suggestion.
    When you are training, you need to work with your nutrition. For a half-marathon, you can almost get by with little food and water. You can't for the marathon. During training, work out what works for you. Some people use electrolyte drinks. Some use gels. Some gels have caffeine or added salt. Some use water and salt/electrolyte tablets. Make sure you get enough nutrition and liquid.

Also, running a marathon is very challenging mentally. After you finish the first 10K, you still have 20 miles to go! A good mental outlook can make or break your race. Some people use mantras or music or both to get them through the toughest miles. Something else to practice on the longest runs.

Finally, on the long runs, figure out what you are going to wear. Its amazing how a piece of clothing that is fine for 6 - 10 miles, but for 20 will create a very painful raw spot. I get chafing on my stomach from a running belt and use a product called Body Glide to prevent it. Body Glide is also good under running bras. Train in what you will wear in the race. Don't wear anything new in the race.

Hope this helps. Have fun in the process.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In. I'm training for my first as well and this inquiring mind wants to know...