Need advice on my HRM troubles...

Options
from my blog:

So, I bought a HRM and it didn't display calories burned. So I bought another one and it DOES show calories burned, but I think it's wrong. I can't tell if this little plus sign is a symbol for next (because that does happen when I click it) or if it acts as a decimal. Today, I walked two just over 2 miles in under 50 minutes and it said I either burned 138.0 calories, or 1380 calories.

Next thing: My cardio trainer app said my avg mph was 3.0. and I burned 413 calories. I looked up on mfp and it said 380 something and another website said 350 something. Any ideas on what could be happening here? I mean, I'm confident I burned off those damn cookies...but I'd still like to know where to find the accuracy so I can use this thing like it's intended to be used.

Heeellllppp!!!

Replies

• TheNewDanielle
    Options
    what type of hrm are you using? the polar's are accurate, as I finally became a follower lol. Walmart ones are less accurate. Those that have the chest strap are much more accurate than just the wrist watch ones.
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    do you monitor the changes in your heart rate?? I think it needs to be updated as your intensity changes....with mine, when I start the timer I check my hr, about every couple minutes I check it again...I dont have one with the chest strap so I think its important that you do that...but I could be wrong, maybe someone else has some better idea or explanation....
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    The more parameters (height, weight, age, fitness level) you're asked to input into the HRM, the more accurate it is. Though each different software program (like your app or MFP) and heart rate monitors will calculate calories differently. If your HRM has a chest strap, then it'll be more accurate than one without a chest strap.

I think 138 calories for 2 miles in 50 minutes is pretty accurate. You did a very easy pace and your heart probably didn't go very high during the walk. The plus sign is probably the next button.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The first one was a polar but it didnt show burned calories so I got a timex with a chest strap (yes I wet the sensor things) and it asked for weight and age when setting it up. The number seeeemed okay, but I thought being over 300 pounds I might burn a little more than that :(