First Powerlifting Meet! (AND losing 12 pounds with 0 cardio!)

Options
Hi Everyone,

So I'll get right into it. I decided in July to sign up for my first powerlifting meet. I had just really gotten into powerlifting and wanted to sign up so that I had a goal in mind and couldn't back out of it.

I was literally so nervous this weekend leading up to the meet. First of all, I cut 12 pounds over a 3 month period to get into my weight class (went from 133 to 121). They say never to cut for your first meet, but I was already cutting anyway to lose weight so I figured I'd make the best of it and cut to make a weight class. I was so nervous about making weight though, that it's all I thought about for like 4 days leading up to weigh ins! I weighed in on Friday morning and the meet wasn't until Saturday, so after I made weight (woo hoo!) I was able to go stuff myself with pancakes and pasta the rest of the day.

On Saturday, I was so stinking nervous I was shaking. I woke up at 4 in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. I was just ready! It was a long day but yet everything went so fast at the same time.

Well, without going into it too deep and making this super long, I got first place in my class! (not hard to do, as there were only a few girls in my class) but I also achieved my goal of getting a 605 lb total (was aiming for 600!) I got a 220lb squat (PR), 95lb bench, and 290lb dead lift (PR) at 121 pounds body weight. I also went 8/9 on my lifts, which was another huge achievement for me.

I was lucky that the federation I competed in (Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate) was very friendly and welcoming to new competitors. Everyone was super nice and helpful in warming up, getting ready, and helping select 2nd and 3rd attempts. There was a huge crowd and everyone got excited and yelled when someone was really struggling on an attempt, they really wanted them to succeed! I was also really lucky that a friend I met on MFP was there and helped me through everything! I have to say, going with a seasoned competitor is a great idea since they know everything that will go on.

Here are some videos of my lifts from Saturday (didn't happen without proof!):

220 lb squat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkrgBI338A&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

95 lb bench (not impressive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qgO4cY3HY&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww&index=2

290 lb dead lift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIT2apDaFk&index=3&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

Also wanted to share some pictures:

Here with my first place trophy :)

2cwwi0l.jpg

Here is how powerlifting has completely destroyed my body and made me bulky. Also, just an FYI for women out there who are so concerned about doing hours of cardio and no weights- For the last 3 or so months I did 1 day of cardio a week (I'm a Zumba instructor so I had to do my Zumba class) and THAT WAS IT. Plus 4-5 days of heavy lifting per week.

33wl1jp.jpg

j60aia.jpg

This just makes me even more motivated for my next meet! I think I'm hooked now.
I am going to make a post eventually about tips for first time competitors. I'm absolutely no expert, but I know that reading blogs/ forums/ articles etc. really helped me before I went to my first meet. If anyone is into powerlifting and nervous for a first meet, feel free to friend me!

TL;DR: If you are thinking of competing in a powerlifting competition, DO IT.

If you are worried that doing 0 cardio and only lifting heavy will make you bulky and manly and whatever, STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAT.

:)

Replies

• Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! That is very inspiring. Congratulations on your win!
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME! I'm just excited about eventually getting to the big girl plates (45s). CONGRATS on first place!!! Nice to know that you don't have to kill yourself on cardio. I'm not lifting as much as you (only 3 days), but then again I'm not training to compete. You rock!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome! Congratulations!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, congratulations!!! You made that squat look like it was nothin'!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I want to do this.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, congratulations!!! You made that squat look like it was nothin'!

Dem legs!!!!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Congrats on your meet! My goal is to have nice strong legs like yours.
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Girl! This is awesome. I have a serious lady crush! Great job! :blush:
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    that's awesome for 121 lbs! Wilks score of 328...That's about equivalent to me lifting 1100 lbs at 190. How long were you lifting before you decided to try the competition?
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Excellent job. Your legs look strong. no wonder you can squat 220!!!!! keep the good job
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Damn those legs! And your back for that matter!!! Great job girl! I jsut started weight lifting a couple months ago and LOVE it! I'm only at about 110 on squats and 150 on deadlift but getting there! thanks for the inspiration. :)
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    this is awesome. i'm looking to do my first comp this year!! 605!! you rock!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I might have a new girl crush!

Awesome job!
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    like woah. you are my hero!!!
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • carolinamombo
    carolinamombo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That's great! Very inspirational :) And you are so stinking cute with that trophy! Way to go!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate all the good vibes! Since the competition I have lost a few more pounds. Still eating the same and little to no cardio (walking at an incline once or twice a week for 20 minutes at 2.5 speed... basically just gives me alone time on the treadmill to catch up on How I Met Your Mother lol).

Also since the competition I took two weeks off of lifting/ exercise over the holidays, ate whatever I wanted, and still continued to lose. Benefit of having lean body mass :)

28bw6qh.jpg

1z33zo9.jpg

300xt6t.jpg
    First time I've ever had quads! Also first time I've fit into these shorts since 2010.

Right now I'm working on perfecting my form with lower to moderate weights before I dive back into prep for my next powerlifting meet in April. I'm looking for that 300lb deadlift at my next meet and a raw total of 650. I have high dreams, I know haha.

If you would've told me 5 years ago that I'd be fitting into jeans I haven't fit into in years and would be the fittest I've been in my life by NOT doing hours upon hours of cardio a day, I wouldn't have believed you. But it's true, and it happened :)

If anyone needs some help or inspiration, feel free to friend me. I'm not very inspirational but I can be funny at times......
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!