Weight lifting

Options
Hey weight lifters, when I was young, lifting weights made me feel sore in a good kind of way, but now that I am older, it just hurts in a bad way:( Any hope for me?

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1. 44 is not old. Trust me. You have many years of lifting and good gains and excellent results ahead of you.

2. I am much older than 44 and lifting weights still makes me sore in a good way.

3. You just need to learn to lift smarter and find the exercises that are not hurting you in a bad way and make sure you are getting adequate rest and recovery in between your lifting days.

4. There a lots of very knowledgeable weightlifters here who can point you to some great age appropriate routines. I am rather old school in my approach and know what works for me. I think getting in shape, getting strong and eating right is a rather simple uncomplicated process. I just think people make it hard because they don't like the discipline and sacrifice it demands. I may not be the kind of adviser you are looking for. :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what your program is but it might be that you are doing to much too quickly.

How long has this been going on?
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You may want to have your form checked for all your lifts by a personal trainer/professional. I'm 52 and just started a free-weight lifting program. I know I couldn't do what I'm doing now, on my own, if I didn't have a trainer.

In the past, I've herniated 4 discs in my back, had arthroscopic surgery on one knee to remove its cartilage, and have sciatic nerve damage in one foot from the herniated discs which as resulted in muscle atrophy--and I have no pain whatsoever from lifting (well, other than the general muscle soreness from lifting progressively heavier weights, which in a sick way makes me feel really good :wink: ). It's all about the correct form, and lifting the appropriate amount of weight for the state you are currently in. A trainer can help you figure all that out, and it's worth the investment.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56 yo Nana, and I'm doing Beach Body's Body Beast Program. I have completed 7 weeks of the program so far, and I'm of the belief that age is a number not a deturent!!!! Find a program that you enjoy and you will be more likely to stick with it. As we age bone health and muscle strength are so very important. I'm seeing small gains but I feel so good weight training again! You can do it and your never "too old" to start. There are bodybuilders and people who are serious weight competitors who are well over 50. So go for it! Much success in your journey!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The soreness will pass as you get used to it. As long as it's DOMS you're feeling and not actual pain, you'll be fine :)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As you get older it is more important to do a good warmup routine. Foam roller is also helpful. I am 60 and only have the "good" soreness.
    Mike
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Pain is sharp and ugly. Sore makes you feel alive.

As an older lifter (and especially new to it) you'll learn the difference pretty quickly.
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I would recommend having your form checked by a personal trainer or other fitness professional. Do you have any muscle or joint pain when you're not exercising? And of course, there is always hope. I have clients who are in their 70's and 80's that participate in weight lifting programs completely pain free.