How do you find motivation when its cold outside to go Gym?

Options
I find myself having to go after work because the thought of going out into the cold at 4:30 am makes me want to just lay in bed.

Replies

• DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    All of my exercise is swimming, so this time of year is VERY tough to go to the gym. The pool is going to be colder (even though it's an indoor pool) and I know I'm going to be cold when I leave the gym. My daily trip to the gym has just become habit and I know that I won't make my ultimate goal if I don't get my exercise in. I want to see that scale move every Saturday when I weigh in so I force myself to go and just deal with the cold!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I joined a gym that was a half block from my apartment because I knew I wouldn't go if I had to travel. After a year and a half, I had developed a habit and joined the Y, which is about a half mile from my apartment. I was doing well until I broke my leg.

Today is my first day being able to go back to classes and I'm planning to leave at 5 for a 7 o'clock class. I'm going to shop nearby until it's time to go rather than wait until the last minute.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home. Hate the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    kristab325 wrote: »
    I find myself having to go after work because the thought of going out into the cold at 4:30 am makes me want to just lay in bed.

Good luck...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yeah, i went out for my run this morning. i don't know where you live, but it was 30 here in new york city. my alarm went off at 4:30am, and i hit snooze. i contemplated not going. but for the entire ten minutes my snooze was on, i was wide awake. so i went.

fortunately, i had left my clothes out on the table the night before. three layers for the top; a pair of compression underwear, warm snowboarding socks, and warm track pants for my legs; gloves, and a balaclava.

i made myself coffee and was out the door by 5:10. home by 6. it was a good run.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Easy - I know that while I'm at the gym, I'm going to be WARM for a while, lol. And a remote car starter helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What Capt_Apollo does - I dress for it. Here in northern Canada I've run at -20C (-4F) and lived to tell the tale. Thermal first layer. In my running class a cold weather runner says it is key to have a warm change of clothes ready right after.

IMG_2151.JPG

I am new to this whole fitness thing but I find my body craves it's daily run. If I skip I'm "off" for the day. It also helps that my running class keeps upping the ante every week and I want to be darned sure my body is up for the challenge.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This has been very hard for me as well. I missed swimming all of November as a result. But I did not miss working out. I have lots of work out equipment at home. Its very easy for me to get up and work out. I'm also able to force myself to go run. But the swimming...yeah, I'm having a block on that one. Gotta just do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    You don't "find" the motivation. You either have it or you don't. People who are committed to their goal, do it. They don't procrastinate, or find a reason NOT to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CoachD34
    CoachD34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I workout at home as well! I've always found going to the gym hard. I did it for a while and found it was too strenuous to get to and from the gym. I have lost over 100lbs just working out from home and been able to keep it off. At home workouts have been my life saver.
  • TrishP1961
    TrishP1961 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish I could exercise at home...But I procrastinate and before I know it the evening is over and I never did get to it. So I go to the pool to swim on my way home. I teach and when I have a snow day or am home in the summer, I will use the elliptical I have or the Pilates and Yoga DVDs I own...But during the regular school year, I rarely do. I really need the gym on the way home. Wish I had your discipline CoachD
  • glamgrljess22
    glamgrljess22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My livingroom is my gym. I search youtube for videos and own a few dvds.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't "find" the motivation. You either have it or you don't. People who are committed to their goal, do it. They don't procrastinate, or find a reason NOT to do it.

This. You won't always be motivated to work out. It becomes a commitment and you have to remind yourself why your doing it. I didn't want to go to the gym today, almost just wanted to stay home but I knew if I didn't go I would really beat myself up over it and the idea of quitting might set in. I've failed too many times and I'm tired of failure so that's why I do it. Plus it makes me feel better in the end so it's always worth going.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I hate cold weather! I base all my workouts from home. I run, bike, or walk when the weather is good. I have DVDs and dumbells from 2-20 lbs. so there is no excuse for me. I also have a Y membership which I rarely use because I don't like to waste time driving there.

The best thing about the cold is it forces me to do my weight training, since I don't enjoy running in the cold. So when it is warm I will sometimes run even on a day I am supposed to do weights, just because is rather run! But the cold weather makes the run unappealing so I grab the weights!

I plan on capitalizing on this during the winter and having a hot body by summer!
  • sweetest_potato
    sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You wont be cold once you start working out. :open_mouth:
  • zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cup of black coffee or a pwo.
  • HarleyAngel36
    Options
    Knowing that being cold is temporary and being fit is forever is my motivation... Prepare, and like Nike says.. Just do it.. I never regret it once I am done BUT I do regret if I do not.. Good Luck
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Pics of myself when I was 240 lbs, and the desire to NEVER end up that way again. I don't always make it. However, it does cut down on the off days.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the thought of my trainer's scathing look
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No way I could do it at 4am. I have to go after work... Honestly, it's been freezing here in Montreal for the past 2 weeks and everytime I get in my car after work, I tell myself there is no WAY I can hit the gym... Then I put on some very loud motivating music and 10 minutes later I'm at the gym. It works almost everytime :)