Weekend of Excessive Indulgence? 10 Pound Gain? Please Help!?!

Options
I'm not going to sugar coat it, so I'll say it how it is.
I was with the family whom I hadn't seen in ages. I ended up eating chocolates, a Burger and fries, little cake things all sorts of sh***y foods. I'm pretty sure I would have had to eaten 1-1500 calories over maintenance. Anyway so it lasted for 3 days. Naturally I wanted to see how much the damage was and the scale said I was up 8-10 pounds. I know most of it is water weight, so it's been slowly coming down...not to where I was before I screwed up but is coming down.

I can't do any exercise this week as I will be extremely busy so I'm fully depending on being in a large deficit and drinking heaps of water to help the weight come down to where it was.

I'd love to hear your input, Have any of you experienced something similar? Also do you think it will come down by just being in a deficit (No exercise)?

Thank you all :)

Replies

• tracer888
    tracer888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Much of it is probably the mass of what you ate, there can be 5 lbs stuck in the intestines alone for instance. You probably won't absorb most of that long term if you're back to normal (as in deficit) going forward. Eat a bunch of fiber with the water and see how it goes :smiley:
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You absolutely did NOT gain 8-10 lbs from those 3 days alone. It's not scientifically possible. If 3500 calories over maintenance results in gaining 1 lb, then to gain 8 lbs in 3 days, you would have needed to consume an average of 9,333 calories/day OVER your maintenance. I HIGHLY doubt you ate that much.

Most likely you gained 1-2 lbs at most from those 3 days and the rest of it is due to normal body weight fluctuations, the clothes/shoes you were wearing, or the particular scale you used. Also, if the last time you stepped on the scale before just recently was a few weeks ago, you may have gained some extra lbs during the last few weeks if you've been overeating.
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    I've definitely had this happen - and it's shocking!!

I think you'll be ok if you just get back to your solid eating habits. You've got this....drink water, and don't forget to rest!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is definitely mostly water. You'd have to literally eat 35,000 calories ABOVE MAINTENANCE to gain 10 lbs.

If you want to get rid of water weight, cutting carbs temporarily can help. That's what a lot of athletes do to cut weight who participate in sports with weight classes. Or you can just get back to your regular eating habits, at your regular deficit, and don't stress it. It will come off eventually.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had an awesome weekend.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't go from one extreme to the other, don't go from 1000+ over maintenace to as you put it a large deficit. I would just chalk it up as a good time and get back to MFP suggested deficit.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Yep, what they said: enjoy the memory of the party, but get back on the horse & clean up your act again starting today. Don't go overboard the other direction, that's not healthy either. Just eat at a moderate deficit.

And yes, that's what accounts for most weight loss.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Yep, what they said: enjoy the memory of the party, but get back on the horse & clean up your act again starting today. Don't go overboard the other direction, that's not healthy either. Just eat at a moderate deficit.

And yes, that's what accounts for most weight loss.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

The only way to maintain weight loss is to eat the same amount of calories you burn.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep, water. I did the same thing this weekend and I gained about four pounds (granted, I also have TOM coming, but that's usually a 2-pound gain).
  • JenBerkey23
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice :smile: