Advice Please: GPS watches

Options
I've been thinking that I'd like a GPS watch for christmas. Nothing too fancy - I really just want it to do the things the Mapmyrun app does, without having to cart my big, stupid phone along with me (don't get me started!!)

given i only want it to be basic, and I'm asking for it for christmas, I'd like to keep cost down to under $150, though I'd be willing to chip in some money towards it if a little bit of extra cost would get me a much better product.

some preliminary searches have come up with six options:
Garmin Forerunner 10
Garmin Forerunner 15 (this is one that i'd need to chip in a little for, but don't really know if the extra money is worth it)
Nike + Sportswatch GPS
TomTom Runner GPS
TomTom Multi-Sport GPS (again, are the extra features worth the extra $$)
Magellan Switch Up

I try to compare the features, but i get so jumbled reading all the fancy tech talk that i just end up more uncertain instead of less!

I'm hoping that this post will get some replies from people like me who have/have researched these products and have some advice for me.

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    This won't help you so much on the technical side of things, but to compare them try using DC Rainmakers tool.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator
    You can then read the in depth reviews as well if you want.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Look for deals on the 610.....it's been replaced by the 620 and I've seen them around $200 including the HRM strap. It's a little more than you were budgeting for but you won't fond yourself going "I wish it did [insert feature here]" next year.

But definitely check out the reviews on dcrainmaker.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    that's a great website, thanks! it's very helpful having an actual written review of the features, rather than just reading a table.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The Timex Global Trainer w/ chest strap can be had on eBay for less than $150.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    A guide of mine has the Nike+ and hates it...good as an overall watch for time, etv but for running she didn't find it satisfactory. As I'm into running/swimming I use the Garmin 910, but agree the 610 would be a good investment
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I loved the 610. Great device, used it as my everyday watch. Most of these devices aren't as suitable as a regular watch. The 620 also is "watchable". :) 620 has cooler features, can swim with 620, and bluetooth can be neat to use with your phone ... 610 only has ant+, some phones (galaxy s4 and up) have ant+ also.

So others mentioning a 610 is a good recommendation for a solid runners watch.

I think the fenix 1 is a great deal right now, refurbished (with waranty) can be had for $150 if you look, pretty regularly $185. Garmin has updated the firmware, so that its almost identical to the fenix 2 now, only slightly less features. Its more than a runners watch, is a great trail / hiking tool also.

I know I know, don't get you started on the phone .... but I've stopped using HRM / GPS watches. I'm now totally on the phone. I usually listen to music when I work out, I can get timers for tabata intervals and such, and with a bluetooth chest strap, I've got a bunch of apps that do HRM, endomondo, runkeeper, etc..

Don't want a big, expensive phone? ZTE Zinger is a small 3.5 inch 3g prepaid (no contract) phone for T-mobile, available right now from Best Buy for $29. Small, low resolution, slow, 3g. Low end phone for sure, but, its $29, and should have enough power for HRM + music player.

good luck!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »

I'd agree with this.

I've seen observations that the TomTom whilst being very capable on the surface actually doesn't allow parallel functionality to operate, so it's of much less value than it appears.

The FR 15 has a pretty good functionality range, an alternative might be the 310XT, which is what I use. As with the 610 it's being superceded by other devices so you should be able to get it for a good price.

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike + Sportswatch and I think its fine for my runs and bike rides. Overall its easy to set up and use but if you have any questions the Nike support staff is really helpful.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have the 610 that people are recommending, and it's ok. If you can get it on blowout deal because the 620s are out, then it's worth going for. But if it's $250+, I'd pass.

Battery life is a nuisance if you wear it as a watch, ant+ is annoying, but the overall functionality is great. Being able to customize the training screens is fantastic. I've never lost sat signal in the woods, which impressed me from the start.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I've got the forerunner 305. It's pretty old, so not sure how it compares. I really like it though and will probably go farming again when this one goes!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would look at the new Polar M400. It is around $200 and it got great reviews. It is dcrainmaker's choice for this price segment.
    Stef.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    MissSusieQ wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 10
    Garmin Forerunner 15 (this is one that i'd need to chip in a little for, but don't really know if the extra money is worth it)

I have the Forerunner 15. It has a built in pedometer, which I love. It's the Forerunner 10 + Vivofit in one. I definitely recommend it.

• Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use my Samsung Gear live, when I run along with the Endomondo app. Works great for continuous heart monitoring, and then is an awesome watch outside of working out as well.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would second the M400. Its is the best of all worlds, GPS, Acitivity Tracking, HRM. You can create custom sport profile for just HRM while doing weights, treadmill running etc pair it with the H7 Bluetooth strap and it kicks *kitten*!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ok, stop throwing other watches into the mix! In fact, stop all together!

A tomtom runner has been purchased, and if you've heard awful things about them then please keep them to yourself because I'm a really indecisive shopper and it was very hard for me to choose. having somebody say something to make me doubt my decision may actually kill me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Defensive much?

Not feeling confident about your decision then?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

A tomtom runner has been purchased, and if you've heard awful things about them then please keep them to yourself because I'm a really indecisive shopper and it was very hard for me to choose. having somebody say something to make me doubt my decision may actually kill me.

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think she's half joking, people. Sheesh.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Creates a forum post asking for advice.. Goes full drama queen when she receives advice.

Seems legit.