Planter Fasciitis exercises

Options
Hey,

Can anyone advise what I should be doing to maintain exercise whilst suffering from Planters Fasciitis? I got it a couple of weeks ago and its quite mild so the pain in my heel only comes when I exercise but I'm really on a mission just now and the thought of having to stop exercise to let it heal isn't something I want to entertain. It takes me forever to get into the swing and I really don't want this to effect me. Can anyone advise if there are alternative exercises which burn high calories but wont aggravate the condition or if there are treatments I could do before my jogging to reduce the damage. I'm not a gym member and I'm already doing swimming.

Thanks
John

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    first, stretch the heck out of it, especially earlier in the day after it's warmed up some.

second, i find holding a pencil with my toes (between the ends of my toes and the ends of my metatarsals) helps to strengthen the muscles in the area.

ice it if it flares up badly.

do an exhausting low-impact exercise such as an elliptical. pounding the foot on the ground makes it worse. cross country skiing, biking also good (if you're using a stationary bike, pump your arms with or without dumbbells to increase the number of muscles being used.

also do some walking - easy walking - to further stretch the fascia and return the foot to normal.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had the same condition and my podiatrist said it was ok to ride a bike, but not stand up in the saddle. I joined a dragon boat club to give me that hard aerobic workout I was looking for and I could keep my feet flat to allow the tendon to not pull at the heel.

In my case the podiatrist advised me to stretch my calves.

I wear orthotics and visit the podiatrist every six months.

If you have a podiatrist I would ask what will be beneficial for you.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I had Plantar Fascitis in both feet at the same time. I started swimming. Burns a load of calories and is very easy on the feet. Even after my feet healed I kept up the swimming.
    Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ice, fix what caused it, do a good amount of myofascial, stretch the bejeezus out of it. Sleep in a boot.
  • hazmat1212
    hazmat1212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    went to my chiro and did moist heat + TENS machine ... it definitely helped.

can you do a rowing machine without pressure on the heel?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I found the elliptical to hurt when I had it. When it was bad, even the bike was painful. So I would say swimming, bicycling if it doesn't hurt, elliptical if it doesn't hurt, but no treadmill, running, jumping rope etc.
    Mike
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I found I could bike. It would aggravate my PF sometimes. But not usually. Burns tons of calories too.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! According to my podiatrist, riding a bike is a good thing, but do not stand up in the saddle. Also, he advised me, to stretch my calves, to warmed it up.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't have plantar fasciitis, but I do have another foot injury (chronic sesamoiditis). Apart from swimming, I have found rowing and cycling to be the only cardio exercises I can do without exacerbating it. Swinging (in the playground) can also be a good workout.
  • AgnesXNitt
    Options
    Seek advice from a podatrist - I have PF in my left foot and though I was diagnosed before my 4stone loss, I still use the shoe inserts and haven't had pain since.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Having the right shoes is essential. You can tell right away because the right support lessens the pain. I do foot stretches first thing in the morning--every morning because I don't want it back. Rolling a tennis ball or frozen water bottle under your foot can help. Not everything works the same for all. You have to try a few and see what works for you. :)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Type "plantar fasciitis exercises" into Google. Then click on "images." It brings up tons of pictures of exercises that physical therapists use to treat plantar fasciitis.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks every body, appreciate the help :smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    Non weight bearing cardio to burn cals while you still have symptoms would be bike (stationary or actual), rowing (machine or actual), swimming

When I had PF, my podiatrist prescribed calf stretches and gave me over the counter arch supports. My symptoms were gone within a few weeks.