Easy exercises that don't require equipment?

Options
So, I want to start exercising a little more. I don't have access to a gym or equipment or even a wii or anything. I'm also embarrassingly out-of-shape and I have really bad asthma (doesn't have to do with size/health, has to do with being born 4 months prematurely.) Anyway, basically the only exercise I can do is walking, which is nice but it's very cold out now, and yoga. Are there any other basic things I can start off with that don't require equipment and aren't terribly strenuous?
Thanks!

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try the Leslie Sansone walk at home videos, any of the Denise Austin low-impact workouts, look for bodyweight exercises, and try pilates videos too. None of them require any special equipment, although you could add some small hand weights and some resistance bands if you wanted. No need to buy any special programs, either. There are LOADS of videos for free on YouTube so just do some searches and find what you like. :)
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking out fitnessblender.com they have workouts for all abilities and have a "search workout" where you can set intensity, workout type, duration etc.. Pretty sure you will find something for your level there. Plus as you improve fitness you get up the intensity of your workouts
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do you have steps in your house or something a couple inches high you could SAFELY use as a step-up platform. Doing step ups can be aerobic and muscle building without being to difficult, all depends on how fast you go which depends on you!

You can also do push-up against the wall until your arms are strong enough to do them on your knees. You start close to the wall and then move your feet further away to make it more difficult as you get stronger.

Lunges and squats are also free and require no equipment. But! I would recommend using a chair until your balance improves. I always use a chair or wall for lunges because my ankles are not the best.

Slow jumping jacks can be aerobic and easy to increase as you increase.

Crunches. Wall sits. Very short bursts of faster walking during a walk until you can increase your speed overall. You would be amazed how good of a work out you can do by going into a semi-squat position and doing air punches! That's a move they did on Biggest Loser for people with lower body injuries.

Is your goal strength, aerobic, or both. For weight loss, both is usually best as an increase in muscle will increase your metabolism and a bit more muscle helps everyone :)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend. There are thousands of exercises on there including walking at home videos and yoga videos
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Get a yoga mat and like others have said, watch youtube videos. You can do things like:
    - Lunges
    - Squats
    - Planks
    - Push Ups
    - Bridging
    - Star Jumps

Anything like that really.