Help! I need advice from good cooks!

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
I'm planing to cook tonight. It's a made up recipe, somehow and being a terrible cook I'm afraid the combination might not work. Please give me an honest opinion.

4 Bell pepper in various colors
1 onion diced
1 stalk celery diced
1/2 lbs crimini mushrooms
5 oz coleslaw mix
1/2 cup brown rice
1 tbls Butter

I will cook the rice with the butter and bullion cube. Meanwhile I'm going to chop the veggies and brown them in the pan until soft, including the coleslaw mix and mushrooms.
When all is right I will stuff the bell peppers with it and keep it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350. I hope it will go well...

Replies

• Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it needs some seasoning. Other than that, looks good, but I would want some protein in there - beans maybe?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ditch the brown rice and that's not going to be enough butter to saute veggies and add to your rice
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree 1 tbsp of butter probably wont saute that many veggies. If you don't have the calorie budget for extra fats you could use stock to keep the veggies from sticking. I also second the idea of adding a protein. Finally, I am not sure about the oven part, I would be concerned that it would dry out the vegetables.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think you should add some seasoning like celery salt or maybe Mrs. Dash. I'd suggest a tomato sauce to go on top of the stuffed peppers to give it color, flavor and moisture so they don't dry out. Or you could pre-cook the unstuffed peppers and then add the stuffing. That way the stuffing mix won't dry out.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If you bake the stuffed peppers without a liquid, they're going to be dry. You could use tomato juice or sauce or veggie broth.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I would pick up one of those 6 oz cans of tomato paste and nix the bullion cube (too much salt).

Peppers Stuffed with Vegetable Risotto

Heat about 2 cups of water in saucepot until just boiling.

In pan, sauté vegetables in 1 Tbsp butter about 4 minutes. Add dry rice and stir until coated. Slowly add 1/4 cup hot water while stirring frequently. Wait until almost all of the water is absorbed, then continue adding additional 1/4 cup hot water at a time until rice is par-boiled. Remove from heat.

Mix in 4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) tomato paste. Divide mixture evenly and stuff hollowed out bell peppers.

Place stuffed peppers in baking dish and add about 1/4 inch water.

Combine remaining tomato paste with hot water and pour evenly on top of stuffed peppers.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I would pick up one of those 6 oz cans of tomato paste and nix the bullion cube (too much salt).

Peppers Stuffed with Vegetable Risotto

Heat about 2 cups of water in saucepot until just boiling.

In pan, sauté vegetables in 1 Tbsp butter about 4 minutes. Add dry rice and stir until coated. Slowly add 1/4 cup hot water while stirring frequently. Wait until almost all of the water is absorbed, then continue adding additional 1/4 cup hot water at a time until rice is par-boiled. Remove from heat.

Mix in 4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) tomato paste. Divide mixture evenly and stuff hollowed out bell peppers.

Place stuffed peppers in baking dish and add about 1/4 inch water.

Combine remaining tomato paste with hot water and pour evenly on top of stuffed peppers.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

This recipe sounds delicious and easy. ^5!
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Guys, you are amazing.
    I had spinach salad and a 4 oz chicken thigh on the side, baked in a aluminum foil pocket ( I don't have too many baking dishes not cooking a lot and all). I also used jasmine rice ( brown rice takes too long to cook for me). The coleslaw mix I sautéed it for 5 minutes with little olive oil and rosted garlic infused vinegar, to give the stuffing a little crunch. I left the rice stuffing with little liquid in it, stuffed the peppers and left in the the oven for 35 minutes. Nothing dryed out. Everything came out fabulous. I didn't add any red sauce to it because I don't like the flavour in my rice, it's just a thing, don't mind me. I was afraid the ingredients mix will produce some crazy stupid flavour but it didn't. I was amazed by the outcome. Man, I miss eating out. Thank you again guys.