Burning calories question

Options
Hi there,
I'm new here. (Thought I've lost 16 pounds so far... just haven't posted yet)

A calorie burning question.

When I put in that I did 40 minutes of Exercise bike. It tells me that I've burned over 700 calories.
That just seems way too much.

(in fact, every exercise I do just seems like they're telling me that I'm burning way more calories than I feel like I could reasonably burn)

Am I crazy? Am I really burning that much? Any advice?
(and of course... sorry if this has been discussed before)

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good question, get yourself a heart rate monitor. MFP told me that I use 1000 cals riding for an hour at 30 kms/hr. My HRM says 400, good thing I wasn't eating all my exercise calories.

GG
  • ematagi
    ematagi Posts: 9
    Options
    heart rate monitor is the way to go, it will give you a more accurate count. MPF only gives an estimate, but everyone's fitness level is different and it fluctuate as well. HTH
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try this site I found. It's very accurate and has a lot of different exercises. Hope this helps. :happy:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html
  • adlerjs
    adlerjs Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you everyone. Very nice of you.

I ordered a heart rate monitor. Can't wait to try it out!

And I will check out that site right away.

Best,

Josh
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sorry, here's the right link...

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If the machine you're using gives you a number, I usually go with that. I'd love to have a Heart Rate Monitor, but I can't really afford one yet. The site Wildflower suggested is great (I stumbled across it while satisfying my curiosity about how many calories 'being intimate' burns), and there's also an App (though it's not free) from them.

Good luck!!