Trying to mentally get used to weight loss

Options
Hi all,

I was clothes shopping yesterday online and I almost always go for my standard size 16 (US 12) even though I'm nearly 20lbs down and now a solid 14. I imagine everyone does this at least at first.

Just wanted to highlight how amazing that feeling is when you realise you've done it and can quickly correct (assuming you haven't already bought it of course!)

I know people are losing weight/gaining weight for many reasons but a change in clothes size can always be motivating. Guess it's a mental thing - your brain trying to catch up with the physical changes.

We will get there in the end!

Have a great day all

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have failed at buying clothes that fit for the past 6 months EVERY SINGLE TIME. Be it from ordering a size or two too big, or from losing weight by the time my orders arrive. I finally gave up and decided to just buy the things I like in 3 sizes, all of which I know for a fact I can't get into yet. I would just shrink into each outfit gradually and have it right there instead of fishing in murky pond.
  • Change1992
    Change1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Haha. Sometimes buying smaller clothes can be a motivational tool I suppose!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My original size was a TIGHT size 30/32.. beyond the maximum size of most plus size stores. The first time I went clothes shopping since losing some weight, I was in a plus size 14/16 on top and 18/20 on bottom. I simply couldn't process that in my mind. Fortunately I brought my sister with me.. who would RIP any size 26 clothes out of my hand and force me into the dressing room with clothes that were MY size. OH and the first time I went into a non-plus size store and tried on size XL clothes was terrifying, I argued with my sister for 20 minutes before even agreeing to go inside the store.. I couldn't understand how she could possibly think that ANYTHING in a regular store would even fit onto my body let alone actually look good. Once again, she was right! I'm a size XL on top now. though still wearing size plus size bottoms (size 16W or 18W which would be a "missy" size 20 which is a VERY rare size)

Also like Amusedmonkey, I also buy too small clothes but only if it's a very good price like a thrift store because I would never know when an item would fit and knowing me, if I bought something costly, it would start to fit me during the wrong season and I'd never get to wear it!

As for online shopping, I love to shop online but I'm not ready to do that with my shrinking body yet. The only thing I'll buy from online is stretch leggings and control tanks!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of clothes. I'm a clothes horse - and, when I started this latest adventure in weightloss, my 2 walk-in closets were (and still are) stuffed with clothes from size 20-26.

I have now gotten to the point where I can wear some of the size 20 clothes, and yet - I have left them packed away and I am dressing in baggy size 24s. Two weeks ago when I put the 20 size pants on, and they zipped up - and they looked like they fitted well - there was some voice in my head saying ... "but if you don't wear the size 24s more - they are barely worn..." the belt holds them up well, and they're very comfortable...

I seem to be setting myself up for always wearing baggy clothes. I ordered a pair of plus 18 jeans, and this weekend, I put them on - and they were tight at the waist, but I got them zipped and closed. I'm dieting my way into smaller sizes, and yet - I still haven't packed away the size 26 jeans, cords, skirts.

I feel bad to see my beautiful wardrobe not being warn. those glorious size 26 wool skirts ... perfect for a day like today. And I wonder if I could possibly get one more wearing out of them?

I really do hate losing my wardrobe...
  • salves90
    Options
    Did any of you get clothes that became too big fitted?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    One of the things anyone might want to consider is taking very thorough measurements so they can have them on hand when choosing sizes from online shopping. Most clothing sites do have a size guide where you can go by them to get the right size.

You DO have to resist the urge to suck in your stomach, I know, but it can be useful to thave those.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    salves90 wrote: »
    Did any of you get clothes that became too big fitted?

I have put on clothes that are too big inside out then had a friend pin-fit them and take them in before.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    OMG YES! Wait untiul you see how fast your sizes will change after you get under 12!!! It seemed like a loss of 3 pounds was enough to get me from there to a 10!!!
  • erkyperky
    Options
    Non scale victories are the most rewarding!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Well, I keep reading that your brain is the last place you lose the weight, so I guess it's true - definitely in my case. I'm down 78.2 lbs (still in the obese range), but my brain doesn't always see it. I'm getting better, but there are times I see no loss in the mirror. I'm the one who wears leggings, stretch pants, capris, yoga pants and baggy tops. I haven't worn real jeans in years. My clothes don't tend to have sizes other than XXL, XL. etc. I have no clue what I'd be right now. I clothes shop without trying anything on, whether online or in the store, so the idea of hitting up a dressing room scares me. I've gotten better with wearing more form fitting tops and even can do a medium here and there. I just need to suck it up (and maybe in) and get myself to a non big girl sized store and try on some clothes with numbers.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes, the mind takes much longer to grasp some realities than others - like it may have taken some time for us to realize we were overweight it takes time to realize we are no longer as overweight as we were. I went shopping with a friend for jeans and argued that I wore a size 10 and wound up buying a size 4 :)
  • st_scrivener
    st_scrivener Posts: 26
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit of weight and let me tell you, it took me several months for my brain to realize that my body is no longer 250+ lbs, that I am no longer obese nor overweight, even. And yes, shopping was a pain at first, but I learned to try on everything I wanted to buy and then get a size smaller than that, because while I was losing, I couldn't keep up with clothes fitting me. Eventually, I gave up and started wearing tons of sweats and tee-shirts.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I have a LOT of clothes. I'm a clothes horse - and, when I started this latest adventure in weightloss, my 2 walk-in closets were (and still are) stuffed with clothes from size 20-26.

I have now gotten to the point where I can wear some of the size 20 clothes, and yet - I have left them packed away and I am dressing in baggy size 24s. Two weeks ago when I put the 20 size pants on, and they zipped up - and they looked like they fitted well - there was some voice in my head saying ... "but if you don't wear the size 24s more - they are barely worn..." the belt holds them up well, and they're very comfortable...

I seem to be setting myself up for always wearing baggy clothes. I ordered a pair of plus 18 jeans, and this weekend, I put them on - and they were tight at the waist, but I got them zipped and closed. I'm dieting my way into smaller sizes, and yet - I still haven't packed away the size 26 jeans, cords, skirts.

I feel bad to see my beautiful wardrobe not being warn. those glorious size 26 wool skirts ... perfect for a day like today. And I wonder if I could possibly get one more wearing out of them?

I really do hate losing my wardrobe...

Oh my gosh...I seriously could have written nearly the same thing about six years ago!! I had such a vast and amazing collection of clothing in large sizes.

I know this doesn't really help...but when I was in between sizes 1X and 2X, my home was destroyed in a tornado and I lost 99% of my clothes. I literally had to start from scratch with my wardrobe and I wouldn't allow myself to buy any more 3X or 24 items.

Sometimes I really think that was a push toward my losing so much weight lol. Especially all of the Lane Bryant Seven for All Mankind jeans. They were so beautiful and the smallest pair I had was size 18. It would have killed me to see those go to waste or even to sell or donate them! I'm almost glad they flew off into the sky somewhere ;-)

• Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It is difficult. I'm hoping it comes with time. I tend to dress in baggy clothes until I can't stand it anymore.

As a person who's been overweight all my life, learning how to dress is a struggle. What's my style? How are clothes meant to fit? These are all questions I am willing to learn the answers to, haha!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    Well, I keep reading that your brain is the last place you lose the weight, so I guess it's true - definitely in my case.

This is so true.

I still turn sideways to walk behind chairs or through narrow doorways, even though Im a size 8.

• RoseyDgirl
    Options
    What I should do is pack up the size 26s and donate them. that would at least give me room to start a size 18 section in my closet...
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    selzer - How horrible! the idea of losing everything - it takes courage to live through an event like that!
    -
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Revonue wrote: »
    It is difficult. I'm hoping it comes with time. I tend to dress in baggy clothes until I can't stand it anymore.

As a person who's been overweight all my life, learning how to dress is a struggle. What's my style? How are clothes meant to fit? These are all questions I am willing to learn the answers to, haha!
    I've been trying to explain this to people in my life and they don't get it. Lane Bryant (the only store that I've shopped in for a decade) is now too big. I'm in the smallest sizes at Torrid. I am so intimidated that I'll soon have so many options. When I try to explain this to my best friend who is a size 22 she doesn't get it. I feel bad talking to her about it.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Some of y'all need to go to a department store on a weekday and find an experienced salesperson and explain your situation. They will help you figure out the best styles that work for your body as it is now. As for your personal style, maybe you need to look at street style blogs/clothing ads/people in public and make notes of what you like?

As for baggy clothes, the classic rule is loose on top/fitted on bottom OR loose on bottom/fitted on top.

I am typing this wearing too-large tops and bottoms myself but hey
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I lost another four pounds this past week and all the new clothes that I've just bought in the past few months fit loose. *sigh* Now I am worried how long I will be able to wear my new clothes.

I, too, am depending a lot on t-shirts.

My weight loss support group has a monthly closing exchange which really helps out the pocketbook.