Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Daily. Fluctuations do not bother me.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Daily, but my official weigh in is every Friday morning.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Few days per week...but I would only recommend weighing in that often if you understand natural fluctuations and aren't going to flip out because you gained a little water weight or have a little excess waste in your system.

I weigh daily, but only because I'd forget otherwise (and, um, that's why I ended up here), but I agree with this^^. The daily fluctuations don't bother me, and I'm not bothered if I put on a couple after a meal out or special occasion, but not everyone is like that.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Pretty much daily as I use the libre app to see the trends. I don't pay any attention to any one weigh-in.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I occasionally will weigh daily, but it messes with me and if I am having a bad day mentally it can trigger past issues (recovered bulimic) so I tend to weigh myself maybe 1-2x a week. If I go too long without weighing myself I seem to get very flippant about eating/working out and I tend to overeat and undermove and put on weight.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I do daily, but I don't get upset over gains, because about half the days appear that way! Weight loss isn't linear, it goes up & down, but as long as the overall trend is down, then it is all good for me. Some people like me like this way, but it is a mind game for others.

Find what works best for you and keeps you motivated.
  • Halcyon3608
    Halcyon3608 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Daily, because I like entering my weights into an Excel spreadsheet and comparing the trend line to my goals. I find it helpful to "face the music" on a daily basis rather than weekly or monthly, otherwise I find myself misbehaving and then not wanting to weigh because I'm afraid of bad news, and then if I'm not going to weigh myself I might as well eat what I want... it devolves from there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Daily for me works. Apart from weight (fat) loss I am also monitoring small fluctuations in weight that result from fluid retention from salt intake and, my stress levels and also general hydration levels. Depends on what you are you are monitoring for I guess. What ever works for you.

This is me too. I weigh daily but skip a day here and there. I enter my weight in MFP when I have lost a lb or more since my previous low point. I am looking at all of the effects food has on my body and this includes water retention. It is amazing how many lb of water a higher than normal carb day can put on me, especially if those carbs are from alcohol. That retained fluid also takes the longest to go away (about 3 days) unlike salt fluid which usually is gone the next day.

• AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in daily, but I only log once a week. I do it to see how my activity and what I ate during the previous day effects my weight. Obviously, if I put on 2 lbs, I need to change something from the previous day.
  • LittleWarriorBee
    LittleWarriorBee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Daily. I track it on this gut-wrenchingly complicated spreadsheet. (I wouldn't bother, but I teach Excel, and practicing data analysis scenarios is important to keeping my skill sharp).
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Weigh Daily - track weekly average changes to spread out fluctuation impact.

^^ this
    Weigh and log daily but track weekly, because weight fluctuates during the week
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Daily - keeps me accountable.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I weight once weekly at the same time of day
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with ocd for years. It could easily become an obsession if I weighed myself daily. I don't know. I am the type of person who gets down if I don't see a loss each month. I am 140lb 163cm/5'4. I still have some weight to lose.
  • gringo43
    gringo43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because of doctors orders...need to keep track of fluid changes.(heart failure)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Weekly, although since I've noticed that my weight drops go in two week cycles anyway, I am thinking about switching to every other week.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Until recently weekly because my team insists I do. I do not like my mood following the scale up and down. But I want to get to the bottom of my fluctuations, so I've been logging daily for a few days now.

Someone here suggested http://www.weightgrapher.com/graphs/ and I love it.

It smooths out the readings and shows the trend. Much more satisfying.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning. Trendweight.com calculates an exponentially smoothed moving average for me. The principle behind the average is explained by John Walker in the chapter "Signal and Noise" in his free online book The Hacker's Diet (google it if you want to read it).

I also weigh before and after a major cardio workout (more than 45 minutes running or 90 minutes biking), to keep tabs on whether I'm hydrating enough.
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't do it daily or monthly. . . just when I feel like I can. I am a reformed ED sufferer and have gone in waves. When I was deep in my ED I would weigh every few HOURS. Although I'd consider myself recovered, I went through a period of time a couple months ago where I would weigh myself daily and my mood for the day would hinge solely on what the scale said. Now that I am consistently eating healthy, doing strength training and cardio in reasonable amounts I don't EVER weigh more than once a week to avoid being obsessed - but that's me - clearly I previously had an unhealthy relationship with the scale though.