NSV - self-concept as a female lifter

Options
I have been lifting for more than 6 months now and I love every second of it!!! However, I train early in the morning in my apartment complex gym, all by myself. The only person who knows I lift heavy is my husband (and my kids) because whenever I mentioned I would like to do it I got weird replies from people (oh, better stick to lower weights, I never lifted anything that heavy, you should not do that etc, aren't you still nursing,...). So I have become very quiet. which is hard, because it has become such an important part of my life and my well-being.
Recently, I had to move a heavy rug for someone, and that person said "Oh, no, you don't have to do that. We can get someone to do that." And I replied "Oh, that's ok, I am strong. I lift weights for a hobby", thinking to myself that this is basically a deadlift. Sure enough, picked the bulky rug up and carried it to where she wanted it. The fact that I said that is my NSV.

I am a little intimidated because one woman (who, honestly, I do not really like) does crossfit and has been doing it for a while, and I don't want to get into the competition thing with her or on people's minds. It is ridiculous but one part of me wants to wear "I lift heavy" tanks to show off my triceps, and one part of me just wants to do my thing without explaining.

Sometimes I think I might just train like crazy over winter and then look so breath-taking next summer that people cannot help to ask. And then I will say, oh, well, I am a lifter, as if it were nothing. :smiley: During training, I always plan my "coming out" :blush:

Any women can relate?

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I love this. I always feel a bit sheepish telling people I lift a) because I am still relatively new to it and very weak, and b) because I expect to have that reaction of 'what?? women shouldn't lift weights!!' so I can totally relate.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Totally, but for different reasons. I find this site so important because I have found people interested in better health and who I can discuss things that come up. People in real life might not know how to be supportive of me. I do lift, but right now, am not shocking anyone with my successes. However, it is the reason for my success with weight loss. I think of myself as a secret project. My muscles are getting stronger under the blanket of my excess weight. When the weight is gone, my muscles will get to have the show!! Interesting, I always plan my 'coming out' during my cardio....

You might be crazy, but you have company!!

Keep on lifting heavy. Rock on.
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ha, I can totally relate. The gym I go to has about 80 percent of males because they don't offer "courses", which are popular with girls. Or at lunch, when all the girls are eating salads and I am loading on my carbs and protein. :)
    There is nothing to be ashamed of though, you don't have to hide it - that's like hiding a succesful career just because you are a woman and many might comment on how you should stay at home more;). Make it your thing and be proud of yourself!
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    DouMc wrote: »
    I love this. I always feel a bit sheepish telling people I lift a) because I am still relatively new to it and very weak, and b) because I expect to have that reaction of 'what?? women shouldn't lift weights!!' so I can totally relate.
    Yeah, I am still not as strong as any man out there who does not lift. Once I can do an unassisted pull up, I will let everyone know. Sheepish is exactly how I feel. Then again, it is my passion, and other people blabber about their passion even if they are not good at it. Hm.
  • sengalissa
    Options
    maram29 wrote: »
    Totally, but for different reasons. I find this site so important because I have found people interested in better health and who I can discuss things that come up. People in real life might not know how to be supportive of me. I do lift, but right now, am not shocking anyone with my successes. However, it is the reason for my success with weight loss. I think of myself as a secret project. My muscles are getting stronger under the blanket of my excess weight. When the weight is gone, my muscles will get to have the show!! Interesting, I always plan my 'coming out' during my cardio....

You might be crazy, but you have company!!

Keep on lifting heavy. Rock on.
    I am like 5-10lbs from my goal weight, and I only stopped eating at a deficit because lifting during winter and getting stronger was my priority. So, one can see some muscle - but basically on my arms and back which means it is covered under clothes. I do not even do cardio these days...

Anyway, yeah, let's plan out coming out!! We could even make this a theme. It blows my mind that I have been thinking I was the only one thinking that way and now I got 3 replies within minutes! Let's plan out coming out together :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • sengalissa
    Options
    MacCroc wrote: »
    Ha, I can totally relate. The gym I go to has about 80 percent of males because they don't offer "courses", which are popular with girls. Or at lunch, when all the girls are eating salads and I am loading on my carbs and protein. :)
    There is nothing to be ashamed of though, you don't have to hide it - that's like hiding a succesful career just because you are a woman and many might comment on how you should stay at home more;). Make it your thing and be proud of yourself!
    I am trying... and I AM proud of myself. But not proud enough to brag - yet.
    97806543 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish I could like this post...I have been secretly drinking protein shakes!! I've just gone back to the gym after an 18 month break/3 stone gain of pure fat - I can't wait to start lifting heavy!
  • sengalissa
    Options
    97806543 wrote: »
    I wish I could like this post...I have been secretly drinking protein shakes!! I've just gone back to the gym after an 18 month break/3 stone gain of pure fat - I can't wait to start lifting heavy!

Welcome back, and enjoy lifting again!
  • fdfallie
    fdfallie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    MFP actually inspired me to hire a personal trainer to teach me how to do heavy lifting. I tell everyone regardless of the comments I receive because I'm proud that my body can do this. One of my guy friends grabbed my bicep the other day so I flexed and my arm was actually harder than his. He told me that my muscles were 'mannish'. I said "Nope, I'm powerful". Keep at it! Share and make your coming out spectacular!
  • PunkyMP
    PunkyMP Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I planned my coming out for next spring at my daughter's graduation. I have it all figured out in my head. lol I'd love for someone to say, "oh, hey... OH, HEY!" And do a double take. That's all. My husband and kids are the only ones who know, too.

The body is definitely changing (I was surprised by the look of my shoulders and veins one day after a shower), but the scale hasn't moved. I'll get the eating dialed in. I have trouble getting out of my head on the food part of my life.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I recently started lifting heavier but it isn't a big thing at my gym. There are some women who just do cardio but there are just as many women as men using the squat rack, bench press, barbells etc. I have also noticed that quite a few of the women in my spin classes are also doing hard core strength training several times a week. For me, I sometimes get strange comments outside the gym such as "aren't you worried about looking too bulky". On the other hand, since my "batwings" have been replaced with "guns" I have had alot of my friends ask about what I have been doing and they have since started lifting. (Not having batwings is considered a small miracle in post-menopausal circles!)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!

My close friends know that I lift, but I don't really tell people because the topic doesn't come up usually. Also, I don't really look like I lift weights so I feel a bit silly telling people about it lol
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the oddball because I'm going to key in on the "competition" part of this. I don't lift heavy, I don't run marathons I do what I need to do for me to make me healthy. Because I have friends that are in that competition frame of mind and do a bunch of "classes" I just avoid the conversation of fitness with them, I'm proud of their success but I'm proud of mine too. So I guess what I'm saying is wear that shirt, be proud of it, maybe you just wear it to work out or maybe to bed but you deserve to own what you're doing because you're doing it for YOU. :smiley: Don't ever let anyone else cast a shadow over you even if it's in your own mind.
    Congratulations on your success so far and to showing off those guns.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You should totally get the tank top! You don't have to lift heavier than anyone else to "lift heavy". If it is hard to lift, it's heavy. Period. My deadlifts are nowhere near as high as some of the women at my gym, but they are as much as I can lift 3-5x, so to me they are heavy.

On the rare occasion that I go out clubbing, most of the women I see are wearing low cut blouses to show off their cleavage, or short skirts to show off their legs. I wear sleeveless shirts to show off my delts, lol!

One other note, I never went very far in my Muay Thai training until I started to think of myself as a fighter. I don't think I would have had the motivation to actually become a competitive fighter if I hadn't started acting like I already was one.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    sengalissa wrote: »

Sometimes I think I might just train like crazy over winter and then look so breath-taking next summer that people cannot help to ask. And then I will say, oh, well, I am a lifter, as if it were nothing. :smiley: During training, I always plan my "coming out" :blush:

Any women can relate?

This is exactly what I wanted to do this winter! I've been lifting semi-seriously (motivation comes and goes) for a while, but I want to hit it hard this winter and hopefully shed some fat too so those muscles will show through. I usually gain during the winter, but not this winter!

My New Year's Resolution is to focus more on lifting AND crop top by summer.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Cool NSV! I was ordering my dog food on line but started going to my local shop and the guy refuses to let me carry it out to my car myself. Lol. I always say it's okay but I think he is just really polite. When I was in CA for a mini vacay I had to talk myself into using the weight room at the 24 there. I still feel out of place there but then I just tell myself no one cares about me and go for it. And I love the tanks with the sayings. My favorite one I wear says "I bathe in male tears."
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    yes! I can 100% relate!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hmmm I don't relate. I've lifted for a while and I never felt weird or shy in the slightest saying that I do.... who cares what people think, lift all the rugs.
  • musil0325
    musil0325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You go girl! I remember when I first started lifting I did get a lot of grief from men. Until they started realizing I was serious about it and then they actually started to help me improve. I've taken the last few months off and I'm not sure why. But recently I've gotten back into it and very excited.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First of all, you GO. I know exactly the feeling, like when I lifted my tire to put it in my trunk to my neighbors amazement. Or how my manager couldn't believe that I could change a keg.

I, too, keep it somewhat to myself because I just don't want to hear the comments: "You're going to get bulky" "You're gonna look like a man" "Why?".

Like you, i'm gonna just keep doing what I do and when I get to that point where I look awesome, I can preach the ways of strength training for women.

Why worry about the crossfit chick? I don't know much about crossfit, but what I do know is laughable. Take solace in knowing that you are training responsibly and using proper form and don't worry about her!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!