New mom needs advice from other moms

Options
Hello, I am new to this and cant wait to get started on shedding off these pounds. I am a new mother to a precious son and love being a mother but hate how I look. Everytime I look at myself in the mirror i become more and more depressed...I just cant wait to look in the mirror and actually love what I see again!!!

Will my body ever be the same and how long will it take??????????????

Replies

• jaycarrion5
    Options
    Hello, I am new to this and cant wait to get started on shedding off these pounds. I am a new mother to a precious son and love being a mother but hate how I look. Everytime I look at myself in the mirror i become more and more depressed...I just cant wait to look in the mirror and actually love what I see again!!!

Will my body ever be the same and how long will it take??????????????
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Every new mom is different, of course, as to how long it takes to get the pre-baby body back. In the mean time, just enjoy your new miracle. I remember looking in the mirror after my babies were born and being in awe that my wonderful yet imperfect body had produced such precious angels. I know I am waxing sentimental, but thinking of my babies, who are now 7 and 9, bring that out in me. Congratulations on your new little baby!!

One practical thing I do remember is that if you are nursing, that burns a lot of calories and also somehow helps your uterus shrink back into shape. When that is happening, you may feel some cramping. Your stomach will go down some as your uterus contracts back down.

Good luck!!
  • Kirsten2577
    Kirsten2577 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Picture! I am a mother of 2 with in the last 5 yrs. I founf the weight loss very different each time. My first was easier to loose weight after. My 2nd was another story. I found it hard to find commitment times for exercise and keeping a clean diet was harder to because I was making a lot of convenience meals. The important thing I found was to be patient and do the calorie counting. If you have a bad day remember that the next day is a new start. Also remember that your body has been through a lot! So there will be good days and Bad and also If you aren't getting your sleep it will affect you weightloss too!

Best of Luck in your Journey!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Lib1927
    Lib1927 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and I am just starting work on getting my pre baby shape back!! :P But thats because I am lazy!! I wear my strech marks like a badge of honour, they are there because I have her, and nothing is more important to me than that. Having a new baby is the perfect excuse to get walking, the fresh air will do your baby good, and the exercise of pushing the pram will do wonders for you too. But don't push it, enjoy being a mommy first!!
  • AdreaDawn
    Options
    I have not had kids yet, but my good friend just had twins, and by breast feeding, and working out, and going back to work early, she was back to her pre-pregnancy body in about 4 months!
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    After baby #1, it was easy. I was back within 8 weeks. Baby 2, however, has taken me a whole year!!!

Side note, it is totally typical, in my experience, to have an OMG moment post baby. Pregnancy and childbirth can wreck the former you and left me with weight, stretchmarks, gianormous boobies, a rollypolly tummy, the lower "apron belly, and the list goes on. Most importantly, though, pregnancy left me with 2 great kids.

I'll probably never have the same bod I did before (although some moms do), so I just strive to get in the best shape possible!

Good luck and GIVE IT TIME!. I was having an anxiety attack post baby # 2 about my weight and my mom was like, get a grip, it took 9 mos to make the baby, it takes 9 mos to get you back.
  • mias2short
    Options
    the most important part is sticking to it, i have a 5 year old i lost all the weight and some but in the last year i havent been paying attention to what im eating and i notice it coming back, i love to work out and i do almost every day but u have to eat right as well or it just doesnt work. congrats on your baby and good luck
  • stenogal
    Options
    What an amazing blessing! :heart: I agree with everyone that the important thing is to enjoy every minute of your precious baby! The weightloss will come. I promise!

You are young so that is a huge plus. You mentioned in your profile that you have always been fit and play soccer, so that is also a plus. If you are breastfeeding that will shrink your belly and get you back into your old clothes in no time. I would say to give yourself about 4 months and you will look back and say, "Wow!" Make sure to drink LOTS AND LOTS of water! That helps greatly. I can remember sitting down to breastfeed and making sure that I had a HUGE glass of water right next to me and would have that glass finished by the time my little one was done eating.

With my first one I weighed 108 and then got back down to 112. I agree with those who say the 2nd one is a lot harder and so on. I had kept 10 lbs from each of mine. I have 3 amazing kids and a good weight for me was 130. I am trying to get back to that now. When I weighed 130 two years ago I was a FIT 130 and I was able to fit into clothes I wore when I weighed 115. So make sure you don't go scale crazy and be stuck on that. It's how you feel inside. Your body will change a lil but it will only make you more beautiful because you will always have that glow of being a mom!
    YOU ARE BLESSED!:flowerforyou:

Take care!
    Stenogal (Melissa)