Help! Other moms of young babies.

Options
My son is almost 5 months old. He does not sleep through the night. I am so exhausted. I'm a zombie most days. I also have a 2 1/2 year old.

How do I do this when I am so tired and unmotivated? Does anyone have things that helped them get through this stage? I feel so unorganized and overwhelmed.

Replies

• Bulldogmomma3
    Bulldogmomma3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old who refuses to fall asleep before 10 or 11 pm at night and I have to be up for work at 4:30 am so I am also quite exhausted and feel unorganized. I have been trying to focus on eating right even if I am too tired to work out. I've been trying to keep grab and go healthy snacks on hand as well to try and make it "easier" for me.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Are you a stay at home mom or do you work? Do you have a spouse/partner to help you? I am a SAHM and have 4 kids and did weight watchers after having each one of them. (WW is very much like MFP but I didn't know about MFP then…). For me the best things was the double jogger stroller. I would go walk or run when they were awake so that I could still relax at home when they were sleeping. I would use bribes, lolly pops, whatever worked so that I could get my 35-60 minutes in. Walk them to the park, zoo, etc… It was probably easier for me because I lived in Hawaii and San Diego when the kids were that small. Now that my youngest are 5 (twins) I live in the North East. We have a treadmill so when I am trapped in the house I can still run. I also joined the YMCA, which was so fantastic. I could drop the kids off for 1 1/2 hours and work out. Good luck and enjoy that age (annoying, sorry!) , it is hard but I do miss those wet kisses.
  • Dolci07
    Dolci07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do stay at home. I'm in Ohio so it is starting to get too cold to take them outside - but I may buy a double stroller for the spring. I also plan on joining a gym here with childcare. My husband works 3rd shift and works 55-60 hours a week so he isn't much help if I am being honest. I believe I am struggling with some depression (I did after my daughter was born too). I know when I get enough sleep I am a totally different person. I'm mostly struggling with food. I find comfort in it since I am so tired.
  • mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You know it gets better soon! I always struggled with foods that first year too. Eat high protein foods as much as possible and try to stick with fruits for your sugars. Those are the only two things that helped me with the crazy pp cravings. Are you nursing, by chance? That can make it harder to get a hold on cravings too. You'll get your sleep back soon enough!
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My babies aren't baby-sized anymore (5 and 6 now) but I clearly remember those days. I may catch some grief for this, but the only thing that saved my life was nursing and co-sleeping. I had a bassinet that hooked onto the edge of the bed. They both slept better too beside me than in another room. I had a full time job, was in college full time, and also trying to turn my life around on my own both physically and mentally. Cosleeping saved my sanity.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation... I try not to have unhealthy/trigger foods at home as I know this is a specially stressful time and may tend to eat emotionally. I try to make some time for myself, go to the gym, etc, it helps a lot and I don't feel so guilty about it this second time around.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I did the cry it out method with my two oldest around 6 months. We co-slept for the first 3 months then the next 3 months I transitioned them to their crib but I would nurse them until the fell asleep. I know this is not for everyone though. I would sing to them and read them a story and then laid them down with a lullaby machine. I had to walk to a part of the house where I couldn't hear them and after 10 minutes if they were still crying I would go in quietly and pat them for a couple minutes and then leave just as quietly as I came in. It took my oldest about a week and the second about 3 weeks to get in the habit. With my youngest he pretty much did co-sleeping until he was 2 so I didn't do the cry it out method because of possible emotional trauma since he was older. When I transitioned him to his own room we did our usual bedtime routine and then I would lay with him until he fell asleep. Every couple of days I would move a little further away from him until eventually I stood at the door until he fell asleep. After about 2 months he was able to fall asleep without me being in there. It's still a process since it's only been about 4 months since he turned two but it does get better I promise. Coffee gets me through the day and also kills a lot of stress cravings for me. I also allow calories for treats if I am craving something just so I don't feel deprived.
  • schlabetsy
    Options
    I have 20 mo old twins and am going through the same thing. They eat constantly so I am eating constantly. No weight loss so far. I'd love to hear what other moms have done at this toddler stage. I work and have a gym with childcare but I am lacking motivation.
  • Dolci07
    Dolci07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am nursing. He eats every 2 hours during the day and every 4 at night. He wakes up at really awkward times for me and I haven't figured out how to make it work for me. I know I need to sleep train but it is hard because we live in a 2 bedroom apartment and my daughter is in the other room and sleeps 12 hours straight. (Thank goodness one of mine sleeps amazing)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I bedshared with my son from 4months to 10 months. We kept the crib in our room until we felt he was old enough to transition to his bedroom and cry it out at 11 months. It was a lot easier for me personally to keep him in bed with me so he could nurse and I could sleep, I was also working at the time as well so I was only halfway delusional from sleep deprivation. If you don't think bedsharing is for you, they have bedsharing attachments to keep him at a safe distance but still be close to make latching in the middle of the night easier.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad about it. Especially if you are at least maintaining. I find that when I am exhausted I feel hungrier because my body needs energy and is confused. food= energy and sleep=energy. Can you have a neighbor come over so you can do a 15-20 min walk or run by yourself? Don't feel bad asking for and taking help, especially for short periods of time.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of 3 my advice is don't do it all in 1 go....little changes amount to big things. One thing I loved to do was bench press my children lay on floor lift above your head or do hip bridges so they can crawl under you , incorporate exercise into games. Secondly my middle child 4 yrs old has night terrors so sleep isn't common here either I find 30 mins workout is my limit.

Food, make them snacks the night before and make yourself 1 too so you don't eat theirs. I make dinners for the family and I weigh my portion out then they dish up whats left between them. Puddings and sweets are my downfall I must say greek yogurt or porridge with coconut milk are easy quick ways to get energy. It does get easier but start small.