FitBit Surge pre-release

Options
Timshel_
Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
I received an email that they were offering a limited pre-release of the FitBit Surge to some of us, but to hurray before they were gone. Now, I have gotten these email before and figured it was just trying to create a call to action for sales. So I tried to order today and guess what...all gone. I called and talked to someone and was told that, in fact, they only had release 5000 units and their online stock was bought up lickity split! I was told they did ship some to retail outlets, which I thought was weird since there were certainly many more of us Force fiasco owners that have been waiting for the next gen units to come out. Anywho...if you look around online you might find one. I found out though the discount I have waiting from the Force recall wasn't going to be honored for the pre-release so I probably would not have bought it now anyway.

Soooo, all that to ask, and the TLDR point....did anyone buy one?

Replies

• OtisBuck
    OtisBuck Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I ordered one from the pre-release notification and it was delivered this morning. Have not had an opportunity to try it yet. I hope the HR monitoring and GPS feature operate as advertised.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I just bought a flex, and am now kind of regretting it after researching the surge. Oh, well. At least by the time my birthday rolls around (August) it will have been out long enough to hear plenty of review on it, and make sure that I really, really still want one.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, with 5000 units selling at $250 each...you do the math. Not bad for three days selling. lol.
  • fedegarino
    fedegarino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got mine today, tested with a run. It's my first fitbit gadget, but i can tell you its amazing. I used both surge and hrm suunto quest to try the bpm and almost the same +/- 2 bpm, and i used the nike+ app for the gps and the surge was better, so amazing little thing. I will try to figure it out how it works with mfp, and test it for a week and i will do a full review!
  • fedegarino
    fedegarino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the run out in 5 hours, not 3 days haha, thats money dude...
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy the Surge but I did buy the ChargeHR in it's pre-release a few days ago (it was gone really quickly as well) and I just got it today and I love it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are any of the new models water resistant (in other words, can I wear then in the pool like I do my flex?)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Are any of the new models water resistant (in other words, can I wear then in the pool like I do my flex?)
    No

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No

Actually yes, the Surge is rated 5ATM water resistant. Which according to Garmin's site means it is suitable for swimming but not suitable for water sports.

zs3px0g4p7fy.jpg
    b1ecza4wh98n.jpg

The ChargeHR however is only rated 1ATM. Which according to the chart means splash resistant.
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't get in on it soon enough to be emailed the early release. However, I just noticed REI started taking pre-orders for the Surge. I think two days ago, that was not the case as I was searching for pre-orders and only Brookstone was doing that (which they have now stopped...guessing cause they got more pre-orders than they can fill). I was actually wanting to pre-order through Amazon or Best Buy, but went ahead and pre-ordered with REI. Maybe when Fitbit said "early 2015" they meant January 1 2015.

I was thinking it could mean first quarter of 2015, which was too long of a wait for me. Actually ordered a Basis Peak, which I recieved today (Best Buy ebay front) and returned to Best Buy un-opened for a full refund. Honestly, the Peak just looks like it should not be worn as anything other than a sport watch if that. Not very nice looking. Kinda clunky.
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine on the 5th and got it yesterday. I love it so far. Way more comfortable than I was expecting. Very shocked about that.
  • mmgavitt
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fedegarino wrote: »
    Oh, and the run out in 5 hours, not 3 days haha, thats money dude...

They did it more than once though. I saw people talking about it on the 4th; then I got my email on the 5th. Maybe I got someone's spot from them not snagging theirs?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No

Actually yes, the Surge is rated 5ATM water resistant. Which according to Garmin's site means it is suitable for swimming but not suitable for water sports.

The ChargeHR however is only rated 1ATM. Which according to the chart means splash resistant.

Thank you so much! I looked over that site and missed the details. I saw the 5ATM but had no clue what it meant. This is good news. I lap swim and do water aerobics year round and kayak in the summer so "surface swimming" is a good description of the use I would put it to in the water. Once I read the reviews after people have received theirs, I just may have to upgrade!

• Kasuad
    Options
    Just went to Target and they had display models of the Surge and Charge HR up and were taking pre-orders. Hopefully that means a full release is right around the corner. Other than for video games, I don't think Target (brick and mortar) takes pre-orders outside of two weeks before release.

Can't believe people are actually bidding over $250 to buy it off the scalpers on ebay. Seriously, I saw bids on there well over $500 for this the Surge. It's funny because a week or two after they get it, it'll be on full release for $250.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    Sweet, appearntly some people contacted REI and according to them, they should have inventory of the Surge and Charge HR by Decemeber 14 (2014) and people who pre-order should expect delivery by December 22.

I guess all the retailers are getting some inventory by the 14th, but REI was the only ones currently taking pre-order online that I know of and the one Target I went to...which was all out for pre-order.

Just chat'd online with REI and they're saying I should have the Surge by 19 Decemeber!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    No

I'm glad you corrected me! I knew the two Charge models weren't and just figured no way the Surge would be. Good to know.

• mmgavitt
    Options
    They still don't recommend the surge for long time submersion in water. It might be rated for that but I'd be careful. I kayak in the summer and will probably wear it for that but not for swimming but that's just me!
  • TriBecca_14
    TriBecca_14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found a Surge today at my local Target. It was the last one. So far, I really like it. Easy to use and very easy to set up and sync to MFP. Cant wait to really put it to use tomorrow...kickboxing!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I ordered one from Brookstone last week, and it shipped immediately, which surprised me as I thought they weren't being released until "Early 2015". However, I saw on CNET that they are shipping as part of the regular release beginning today.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    mmgavitt wrote: »
    They still don't recommend the surge for long time submersion in water. It might be rated for that but I'd be careful. I kayak in the summer and will probably wear it for that but not for swimming but that's just me!
    I don't think they suggest anyone submerge it.

Can I wear my Surge swimming?
    Your Surge is water resistant, meaning it is rain and splash proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout. It should be removed before swimming or showering.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/All-About-Fitbit-Surge/m-p/555476#U555476

I have one on my desk and it sure doesn't look submersible. It's got three non-sealed buttons on the side and an open charging port and a reset hole.