I have been here a week.

Options
I have found this app on my phone to be very helpful. I like how it shows how many calories/carbs/protein are left. Takes the guess work out of it. I started out anemic and hope to get m y iron back up to where it needs to be. Not enough protein.

Replies

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You may be able to modify your macros you track to help you keep a handle on that. Can't get there right now or memo will be cut off but go into your setup and check it out.
  • lynnh2013
    Options
    I am eating 111 gms protein at least a day...I was doing low carb high fat...not a good fit for me. So I have upped the protein and lowered the fat. I still much keep my carbs low because my blood sugar spikes. Morning BS today was 110.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For the iron, would you consider organ meats, red meat, pills? I was on an iron supplement for months to get my iron back up.
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love the way the app breaks down the protein, fats, and carbs too. I can't eat a lot of meat for health reasons but realized I definitely needed to up my protein intake. It takes the guesswork out of eating healthy. :smile:
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    if you are going to do the iron supplament thing, make sure you really push the fkuids, iron can and often is very binding on the digestive tract
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    lynnh2013 wrote: »
    I am eating 111 gms protein at least a day...I was doing low carb high fat...not a good fit for me. So I have upped the protein and lowered the fat. I still much keep my carbs low because my blood sugar spikes. Morning BS today was 110.

I have a question? I would like to add more protein (I work out 3 - 4 days/wk) and more protein ups my caloric intake. What can I eat high in protein but wont bust my deficit too bad?
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    lynnh2013 wrote: »

I have a question? I would like to add more protein (I work out 3 - 4 days/wk) and more protein ups my caloric intake. What can I eat high in protein but wont bust my deficit too bad?

I find protein shakes help, but if you want to go less processed, Egg Whites are fantastic low-cal protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I have protein shakes and protein bars and I love them. I have to adjust too much to drink or eat these as they keep me out of my deficit because of the calories.

Anyone know of some really good ones but don't pack a lot of sugar (calories)?

Gosh do I love to eat them. I was eating protein before and after workouts. It was putting excess weekly calories and no really keeping me in enough deficit.

Thanks 33Freya
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I have protein shakes and protein bars and I love them. I have to adjust too much to drink or eat these as they keep me out of my deficit because of the calories.

Anyone know of some really good ones but don't pack a lot of sugar (calories)?

Protein bars are really nothing but glorified candy. I'd try to stay away from them if at all possible.

Protein shakes are ok, and an easy way to add some protein to your diet. Just get something that's at least around 80 % protein, otherwise you get a lot of fat and carbs with each shake as well. All lean meats are a good source of proteins as well, and fish is good, too. Even if it's a fattier fish, you'll get a lot of essential fatty acids from it.

Also depending on what's available and if your stomach agrees with milk, there are lots of good dairy products such as cottage cheese and quark.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Can't do the milk thing.. I work out fasted. I was consuming these shakes and bars prior to and right after work out. My muscles (legs, butt) were getting huge.

So I started letting my body work out fasted and stay fasted for 2 -3 hours after. I am going to go back to the internet and do a search on low cal shakes and bars. I do not feel satisfied on just a shake. The shakes feel really empty to me. Do not want to bust my deficit on workout day.

I will throw in some beef jerky. Its a quick easy 15 gm of protein per 3 oz 80 cals

Thanks so much for the info.... :D:)
  • zipa78
    Options
    Yeah, shakes do leave you hungry, unfortunately. I usually take one as a post workout drink for recovery, or to supplement a meal that was otherwise low on protein. If you are looking for a more "portable" snack, then a protein bar is better than nothing as long as you keep track of your total calories.

Beef jerky is good, low calories, high protein and gives you something to chew on.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    It just not the prettiest thing to eat around your co workers! They wonder why you are eating something that looks like bark. It think its yummy though. Teriaki for me. And the turkey is pretty good.
  • lynnh2013
    Options
    I realize that protein alone will n to build up iron. I have seen the doc and nothing else is out of line. I have begun to eat higher iron natural foods. Liver is not too bad, amongst other things.
  • zipa78
    Options
    Other good sources for iron are green herbs, seaweeds and veggies, bran flakes, soy beans and green lentils and various seeds, such as pumpkin seeds.