How much to you allow your weight to go up?

Options
Phill2488
Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
edited December 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Weight obviously fluctuates, and the number of the scale can't stay the same all the time. So how high will you let the scale go up until you realise that you're slowly falling back into you're old ways again?

I like to keep my weight at about 130-135 pounds. So far the highest the scale has gone up for me is 133 pounds, and that's only due weekends of drinking alcohol. And within a day or two I'm back down to 130 anyway. So I'm doing good so far

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Five pounds for me.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Five pounds for me.

So if the scale goes above 5 pounds to you go back to eating in a calorie deficit?
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think it largely depends on your past history with weight-gain. Personally, I've come to the understanding that even a 2lb weight gain is a red flag for me. I typically drop back down to 1200 calories per day for a couple of days to get back in line. It helps keep me vigilant honest.

Caveat: the 2lb gain does not include PMS weight-gain/bloating!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    105-108, My weight is pretty stable unless I really go off the rails like 5x a year, but most of the time I dont fluctuate more than 1lb
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance right now and so I have a range of 145-149. If I went above 149, I would go back into deficit eating until back into the range for a while.
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I seem to stay around 140-145. If I went above 145 I would reevaluate my eating.
  • fsumarie1
    fsumarie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    114-119 ...same here, 5lb range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not so much how high...on average I can fluctuation a good 3-5 Lbs. What I tend to look at is the average.

For example, right now I average about 186...I have averaged about 186 for the past few months...but this morning I was 190...last Saturday I was 184. If I start to see the average actually creep up, that's when I take action (or not) and make adjustments (or not). This requires weeks and months worth of data.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Depends on the individual really.

Some naturally hold on to more water weight than others which would need a larger variance.

Of course the ladies have to deal with any additional flux the female cycle may or may not bring.

For me, it has been 2-3 lbs flux range but it has been over a yr & I usually flux about 1 -2 lbs. I also have a definitive 'warning' weight that if I reach I'd look at what I may or may not be doing different to cause the out of norm variance. It is also important to recognize normal flux from actual weight gain. :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    zero, because the last time I slipped 15 lbs!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 pound range. 125-130. I really don't want to go 125-126, and I'd rather not be 129+ but I also refuse to micro-manage it. As long as I'm consistently in the 125-130, I keep with what I'm doing. (Which means still logging, though I estimate more and use the food scale less than when I was losing.) Aiming for ~1900 calories in, 2000 out according to my Fitbit (which I assume to have a 5-10% error rate) and training for a 1/2 marathon. :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    5 pounds, but only if it stays for more than a few days. If it's just a day or two I don't bother changing anything because it's probably just water weight.
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    2ish lbs
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I can safely say I fluctuate 2 pounds without worrying about gaining. If it starts getting closer to 4 or 5, I go back into *I need to lose weight* mode.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Within 3 pounds
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Due to hormones and large shifts in sodium consumption, I can gain or lose at least 5 pounds of water in a couple of days, so I would say more like 7 lbs as long as it appears to be water weight.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I started maintenance in June, I thought 5 pounds would be a good range. However, I've noticed that I only fluctuate about 3 pounds.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    not one bit, its all about maintaining for me.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    Five pounds for me.

So if the scale goes above 5 pounds to you go back to eating in a calorie deficit?

Well, it hasn't happened so far, but yes.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for a while.. and will weigh myself usually once a month.. if i have gone up 5 lbs.. i start to login my food to make sure i am not eating to much.. i follow PALEO and IF... I also just eat low carb if i am feeling bloated before an event... if i let it go more then 5 lbs. that will turn into 10 or 15 in no time...

45 Years old
    133 Lbs. (maintaining strong) with some vigilance
    128 Goal weight ( which i never reach) its ok though...maintaining is enough...

*** however i can go up easily to my highschool weight of 160 if i dont watch it ***