Would appreciate advice on calculations

Options
Hello! I just joined MFP and I've very happy with it so far. there is one problem I'm having, though. I'm 18 (well, I'll be 19 tomorrow) so MFP sees a young, healthy person who burns a lot of calories even if I do nothing all day. The issue is my metabolism is not like most of other people my age, mainly because of a certain medication I take.
The assumptions the site makes about how many calories I burn and how many I need are most likely skewed because of this.

I've been wondering what do do, and considered putting my age as much older than I am, when my metabolism would be naturally slowed down. Is that against the rules?

As a newbie who is intimated by new websites, I'd really appreciate feedback.

Replies

• Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try using their calculations for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If it does not work for you then you can always use your own goal figures.
  • Kaleidoscopic
    Kaleidoscopic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the reply!
    The problem is at my age it's telling me I'm burning over 2,000 calories a day (BMR) , and I know I'm burning the calories a 50 year old woman would burn.
    I have been following the calculations and I don't have a scale, but my pants actually feel tighter.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What do YOU think your BMR is? And how are you measuring it?

(Honestly, I'm not sure how much notice MFP takes of age - lost of people seem to end up with a goal of 1200 regardless of their age, weight, etc!)
  • Kaleidoscopic
    Kaleidoscopic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think my BMR is about 1,000 calories, because my GP told me I probably burn about half the calories the average 19 year old does, and that when I diet I'll have to keep that in mind.