cherryblossombabe
cherryblossombabe Posts: 113 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello

Replies

• steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    not quite sure what your asking myfitnesspal works out how many calories you should have to lose, maintain or gain depending on your activity, height and weight and if you are trying to lose how much you want to lose a week.. the quicker you want to lose the less calories it will give you to eat.. errr guess thats what you ment!! :p
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    errr.... hello :smile:
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What are you asking?
  • cherryblossombabe
    Options
    Haha must have deleted my question! Oops
  • cherryblossombabe
    Options
    Do you follow MFP allocated daily calories or do you prefer to calculate your daily calories using another method?

Hope it works this time
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Do you follow MFP allocated daily calories or do you prefer to calculate your daily calories using another method?

Hope it works this time

I used this calculator fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Some people use this one scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

MFP's calculator is fine.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I follow MFP set to sedentary, with a weight loss rate currently of 0.5lb per week gives me 1590 calories

MFP is linked to my fitbit with negative calorie adjustments enabled so I always get more automatically than the MFP initial allowance

Plus I log workouts based on my HRM readings less a little

I generally eat 1700 - 1900 per day (averaged over the week I always net around 1400 - 1600) and am currently losing at a rate of about 0.8lbs a week (actually trendweight is saying 1.2lb a week so I need to eat a little more)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP. On non-exercise days, I stick pretty close to the 1600 calories they allocated. On exercise days, I eat more than that, but usually not anywhere near what the number shows. I have MapMyRide linked to MFP, but I have my weight on MapMyRide set at my goal weight because it indicates that I'm burning more calories than I think I am. Even with that adjustment, it seems a little high. I'm not too worried about it because I've been losing the expected 2lbs per week. If I weren't, I would adjust my calories accordingly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Hope it works this time

I'm following MFP, but I'm considering switching to TDEE after the new year now that I have a routine down. I have a Fitbit, and my burn numbers for this past month have come very close to the calculations.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP, eat back most exercise calories, and allow myself to go over as needed to maintain sanity. Thus, instead of losing my programmed 1 lb. a week, I lose more like 1 lb. every 10 days, which is great for me.

Scooby's Workshop has my TDEE at about 100 cals. higher than MFP. MFP's slightly lower estimate allows me to go a bit over their recommendation on occasion and still lose weight. :+1:

19507081.png
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP generally but I am pretty good at knowing what my body's requirements are and what it takes for me to lose. My sweetspot for losing is 1000-1400 calories. Anything less than that and I am over hungry and likely to binge on ice cream, anything over that I see very little results unless I team it up with high intensity workouts.

Learn to know your body... No online method or website is accurate for everyone, we're all different!

Good Luck!
    Mark
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I think it does a pretty good job calculating TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). I have it linked to MFP and it gives calorie adjustments. I follow it but track my food here (better database.)
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use MFP
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP, switched quickly to Scooby, and now use an adjusted version of Scooby based on meticulously logging and tracking actual results in Excel for 8 weeks.

Yeah, I'm a data geek. What can I say.

None of it matters all that much, though. If you pick a program and stick to it, you may lose slightly faster or slower than what the calculators say, but you should still lose.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I use health-calc numbers, adjusted my estimated TDEE based off of weight loss from a few months ago though. BUt if I adjust my settings on health-calc to be reflective of the number I got from my own calculation, the activity times do seem to be pretty accurate (about 10hrs of sleeping and laying down 2ish hrs a day walking and standing, and 20 mins moderate exercise - this is all averaged out).
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary, but on my days I'm not, so I have a Fitbit Flex and it adds calories if I have a more active day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I use health-calc numbers, adjusted my estimated TDEE based off of weight loss from a few months ago though. BUt if I adjust my settings on health-calc to be reflective of the number I got from my own calculation, the activity times do seem to be pretty accurate (about 10hrs of sleeping and laying down 2ish hrs a day walking and standing, and 20 mins moderate exercise - this is all averaged out).

That's a pretty decent estimator, actually, though I'd like to see a place to input body fat percentage. My bf% is (sadly) higher than the average estimated by the calculator, so this actually overestimates my BMR and TDEE by about ~15%, which is significant at my height/weight.