denial- the truth about how much I am eating

Options
i have been on my fitness journey for over a year and i have done nothing but gain more weight. I'm seriously in denial and I don't know when I will get it. I can't stop myself from eating all the foods I love to eat. I tell myself one more bite it will not matter.
When will I see the truth. That I am overeating and that the working out isn't my problem. How do I stop?

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you see the truth already.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pretend that I have already eaten two or three helpings or an entire cake (I only eat one portion, but as I'm eating it I imagine that this is my third one). IDK if this is a healthy strategy but it helps me deal with this problem.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Take your meal and cut it in half... Eat half now, and eat the other half in an hour. See if you REALLY need to eat that meal. if you dont, youve made lunch for the next day :)
  • Baymein
    Baymein Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I really hope so. I'm just tired of the lies I tell myself.

@sophomorelove Thanks I have never heard of that advice. I will give it a try.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Baymein wrote: »
    i have been on my fitness journey for over a year and i have done nothing but gain more weight. I'm seriously in denial and I don't know when I will get it. I can't stop myself from eating all the foods I love to eat. I tell myself one more bite it will not matter.
    When will I see the truth. That I am overeating and that the working out isn't my problem. How do I stop?

The only thing required to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. There is no reason to stop eating the foods you love as long as you can (1)work them into your calorie and macro goals and (2) you practice and stick to portion control.

I know exactly what you mean when you say working out isn't your problem, because I've always exercised even when I was fat. I guess had I not exercised with the amount of food I was eating, I would have gained more weight! :neutral_face:

I weigh all food, measure liquids, log both calories in and calories out (exercise), and I eat whatever I want--just not as much as I want.

You can do this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log everything ...weigh it and log it ...eventually you will stop lying to yourself

But you have to commit

• cdiponio87
    cdiponio87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water 20 mins before eating, then another with your food.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Your situation is different than mine. I did gain weight trying to lose it because 1) I could not find the right balance of food and how much to eat to maintain and not gain 2) Once I found the maintain I then could create a deficit (in daily calories) and eat just that amount.

Everyone has a relationship with food! Some eat really healthy, some eat crappy food (high carb/sugar), some do not eat enough (putting their body in stress) trying to loose too fast, etc... But no matter what you eat, if you eat less, you will loose. Add some movement or exercise you will lose more.

You have to find out why you are eating the way you are, and when you are ready, you will start to put your mind, body and soul to where they work together.

I wanted to lose so I had to eat less. Period. I wanted that so bad... I had to stop eating the extra 100, 200, 300 and 400 calories. This kind of eating does not equal weight loss.

Think about it... why do you eat? Find out why you may be over eating or making too many trips to the fridge or cabinets.. I found that I was mindless eating because I could and it was available not because I needed to..

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Could it be that your happy with your weight and don't want to admit that? I've lost a couple pounds this year but ultimately i realize it would be nice to lose weight and have a six pack but it't not that important to me. Beating up on yourself is going to get you no where. Be happy you haven't gained. From your picture you don't look overweight.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OP - honestly, I am/was/still am in the exact same boat as you. It's been almost a year that I have been "logging" and "staying within my calorie goal" and only gaining weight over time. I would ask myself "why isn't this working??" I even lamented on here once. But I knew the hard truth. Because, oh that little mini chocolate bar I just ate, I don't have to log that...Or, one more glass of wine won't make a difference, I won't log that. Even worse, the 5 spoonfulls of kraft dinner I just ate while making the kids supper won't matter. And yet, the numbers on the scale kept going up, despite working out hard 5 times a week!!! Well, I finally decided to give 1 week 7-days a try of logging every single thing that went into my belly, and staying within 1500 calories. And guess what??? The first 7 days have gone by, and the number on the scale went down!!!! FINALLY!!!! So you know what this has done form me??? It has motivated me to go 7 more days, because at the end of it...It wasn't that hard to do....

All that to say OP, you got this!!! You can do it!!! Just focus on 7 days...that's all...Then go from there!!!

Good luck. I know how you feel. It is very frustrating and depressing...
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is before I eat I log it honestly and then I see how little I have left I feel rubbish so then this motivates me to not eat what I wanted to exactly maybe lose 1 element or a healthier side. I only drink water or herbal tea that cuts calories right down too.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I am going to add this.. because I hope that I can help trigger a thought process...

Forget math, calories counting, for a minute.

You came to MFP for a reason. It appears that you want to 1) stop over eating or stop eating more than you think you should 2) You want to see results or the truth

So, I take it that you need to find out first and foremost why do you over eat (there is no wrong answer to this question) and it could be any reason the world

You want to see the truth (or I take it as the truth to #1) so that you can begin starting to make a plan to fix what is "untrue".

You cannot create a plan until you answer Why do I over eat? How come I cannot stop? How can I stop it and make results. Your goal may not be the skinny minny... you may just want to eat better and feel better.. But you came here looking for a change...

Answer the first question, and you begin a plan then work the plan!!
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is before I eat I log it honestly and then I see how little I have left I feel rubbish so then this motivates me to not eat what I wanted to exactly maybe lose 1 element or a healthier side. I only drink water or herbal tea that cuts calories right down too.

THIS is a good idea too. The first thing I do when I get to work, is log everything I "plan" to eat, and if there is a leftover, then my reward is a glass of wine. If there is nothing left at the end, then I try to see where I can cut some calories or tell myself I have to forgo the reward...lol
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Quote from a personal trainer friend of mine: "you can't outrun your mouth".

When I was exercising a lot more than I do now, I was fit but I should have been slimmer and looked a lot better given the amount of exercise I was doing. However, I was always a "little picker" (rather than a binge eater) and liked big portions and drank too much beer, so was always still a bit chubby and probably just gained and lost the same 7 pounds rather than making any real progress.

I wish I'd paid more attention to that quote at the time!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    FIND NEW FAVORITES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be the girl in your group that is the culinary explorer, the outrageous foodie - find ALL TEH NEW THINGS!!! and own that new reputation!

It's easier to build the person you want to be than to slowly just destroy who you are.

Healthier too.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Quote from a personal trainer friend of mine: "you can't outrun your mouth".

Great quote! I have something else to remember when I want to remember why I do not want to eat that or eat more of that!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Well you have made a good start. Being honest with yourself puts you in a good position to start adressing the situation. For me it wouldnt make sense to have a years worth of trying and no progress. I'd have to deal with the issue in the first month until it was working. The guidelines and underlying knowledge are all on MFP. I'd do a rethink and refresh of your plan with some of your friends/ get some or people from MFP and they could check what you were doing would give you the results you want. The other aspect is you have to commit and want the results more than you want the comfort food. That requires you to make some tough choices. You are going to have to be more mindful of what you consume. Logging your food and learning about nutrition and weight loss will put things in perspective and help it all make sense.

I can say if you think out your plan properly, prepare yourself mentally and then make small realistic tragets then you will get success early, this will build up some momentum and it will encourage you into action. It will also make you protective of any gains. Consistent deficits will give you more success and so on.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Nicely said 999tigger!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    A wise alien once said this:

Do or do not. There is no try.

RIP Yoda. Wise wise man...
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem so I TOTALLY understand what you mean. I clear 1900 calories some days. For me, it is a mental issue - not a physical issue. I workout A LOT. I love to lift so I don't gain much but I eat well over 500-700 empty, excess calories some days. I honestly believe it's a combination of poor will power and addiction.

On the the solution you asked for...lots of water before meals, gum, the word 'NO' that we have to say to OURSELVES and to others, honest logging (I hate logging my bad meals), a deep breath and a step back (this food WILL be here), a few photo reminders of your goals, and if you are a praying woman.. that helps too. Pray for strength and will power. I hope this helps and remember that there are others out here with similar issues and it's a daily struggle, but you CAN DO IT! The thing is, you're the ONLY person that can do it. Also - NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. Just keep going and keep trying! You're on the best website. Instagram fitness helps me a lot too.