The mindset of maintenance without logging

Options
I have been maintaining for about two years, but only six months without logging. During the time I was losing, I tried to read everything I could find about healthy eating, weight loss and exercise. I was on MFP all hours of the day. I memorized menus, calories of foods, created lower calorie recipes of my favorites. Because of that mental dedication, I feel I can eyeball and even feel if I am overeating. I believe I can tell if I have a healthy diet. I say "believe" because I am not logging. I do step on the scale a couple of times a week, with clothes on (I used to strip off before stepping on, not just once a day, but several times a day, LOL) My point is, take your time reading and learning, weight loss is a hard, tedious process, use that tedious time to learn. If you go back to your old habits as soon as you reach your goal, you will be right back here, trying to lose weight again. I hope this doesn't read like a brag post, there have been several threads that make it scary to stop losing weight. It is not scary. It is a happy place.

Replies

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I hope that one day, I'll feel comfortable enough to let go of the logging and maintain without it as well. Good luck with everything!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I maintain without logging. I simply got tired of tracking. A lot of people don't mind tracking and plan on continuing to track forever. Either way there's no need to fear maintaining.

The rub with hitting the goal is too often it signals a finish line. "I hit my goal, I'm done!". I think it's important to set a new goal. A specific fitness goal can help with staying focused.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    I think the ONE thing I've learned from this wt loss / maintaining journey is that we are all different & there is no wrong or right way to go about things.

Unfortunately there's no blanket solution for everyone. Many will just have to kind of figure out what works for them individually to maintain for life.

Congrats!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot about portion size, nutrition and exercise over the past almost three years. More than I learned in the previous 60 years. I know what a serving is just by sight, but, as Raspberry says, we are all different. Logging is the only way for me, and I will continue to do this for as long as I am able. I will not go back to where I was 3 years ago, and to continue to achieve this, I must log.

As in losing the weight, we all have to do what works best for us. The success rate for long term keeping the weight off is astoundingly low. Losing the weight was the easy part, maintaining is going to be a commitment that I have to make for the rest of my life.

Congratulations and best of luck to all of us!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good post, and, imho, it should be the ultimate goal.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to wait here for the several posts claiming that you must log for the rest of your life.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm approaching maintenance now, but i think i'll always count calories. at least loosely. i don't mind it at all; in fact i rather like it. i think the awareness is awesome. but to each his or her own of course. congrats on maintaining!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Very sensible. I am only 2 months into maintaining - but must say, its going well. I am still logging daily - though I admit to not weighing everything now. I get on the scale daily as well, part of my morning routine, but just eyeball to see that I'm in range. And I too don't bother with stripping to nothing unless I'm about to be in the shower. I know 129 with clothes on fits in my 126-128 ideal range. (And 125-130 is my overall comfort zone.)

One major thing that changed for me, and helped me to get it right 'this time' - I changed my way of thinking about food. Food is something I should think about, not just randomly grab whatever is nearby or easy. With a little thought, its easy to be prepared. I don't limit foods - but do focus on protein/fruits/veggies.

I don't expect to log for life. Thinking in the next few months (maybe at my 1 year on MFP anniversary?) I will mentally log. Have considered this tactic: mentally set aside 350 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner and 500-700 for snacks. (I snack alot!) Instead of logging each item, just keep daily track within my little categories.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    this is EXACTLY how it is for me, 2 years into maintenance, and no one believes me!!! how can you not count calories?????

I dont need to. I trust my own judgement.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    why cant i like/share/upvote this?????
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have already geared myself up for a lifetime of logging, whether I'm losing or maintaining and I am ok with that, but the aim to never have to log again adn not put the weight back on is surely the ultimate goal.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and as has been said,it is my ultimate goal.....logging now is helping me learn portion size and the impact of high calorie foods and drinks....that's all knowledge to be used later when i am not logging
  • ckchilds
    ckchilds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal right before Halloween, and then promptly gained two pounds back within a week! Maintaining is definitely the hard part! I am still struggling to lose those 2 pounds. Maintenance takes a life-long commitment. The weight-loss counselor I have been using suggested tracking a couple days a week for maintenance if I don't want to keep tracking every day. Weighing myself once per week is also very helpful.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I decided to experiment about 8 months ago and have maintained weight and leanness despite eating a more "normal" diet including... ahem... having a 2000 calorie double doughnut burger a couple of weeks ago. :blush:

Basically, I make sure I lift weights 3 times a week (30-45 minutes) as well as participate in sports regularly. I swear I've grown muscle in the last 8 months, too.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached my goal weight yet, but once I got to a milestone I took a break from MFP to try and maintain without logging. It worked pretty well for me I didn't gain any weight for a year, but I might find it a little harder once I reach my goal weight and have less calories for maintenance but I think it's doable. The time I did spend logging and regularly weighing out portions of food really helped me see how much I was overeating before. I have such a better understanding of how much I should be eating now.

There's nothing wrong with continuing to log during maintenance for those that choose to, one thing I really missed was looking at my macro pie chart thing, or weekly charts. I didn't do much with the information but it was just something I enjoyed seeing.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have been maintaining at 102-107 for about 4 years. My SW was 128-130, with a goal of 105.
    I learnt how much to eat and portion control whilst losing, and that is what I use in day to day living. If I feel my tummy is getting bigger ( apple shape), I cut my overall portions for a couple of weeks.
    In general I rarely weigh myself.
    All that being said, I am actively counting at the moment because I want to maintain at the 100-102 level for a few months, and I have changed my exercise routine.
    (I am going on a cruise in March, and from previous experience I know I want to be as fit as possible, and be a couple of pounds under my ideal weight because of the 3-5lb water weight gain that always happens to me on a cruise. I don't mind the water gain per se, I do mind that half my clothes don't fit me if I put on the 5 lb. Getting a whole set of new clothes just for 2 weeks is a lot more hard work than adjusting my weight down for a few months.)

Maintenance is an individual thing, I am enjoying calorie counting for 3 months or so each year when circumstances dictate; and relying on my self knowledge the rest of the time. It makes me feel I am in control; not the food.

Cheers, h.
    A couple of pics from the last cruise added. ( done from my phone so sorry if they don't turn out right)

sn4se2arkuj8.jpg

kla2gbjzys12.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great post and I totally agree about being armed with knowledge ☺

I still log during the week but my aim is to not log eventually, right now it's my crutch, it's a good habit which I really don't mind doing. I weigh in twice a week and I log my food just to keep an eye that my weight is being consistent.

I have been maintaining my weight for a year.

I never want to go back to being the curvy sister/friend ever again, she's gone for good!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for about a month, and I just quit logging. I weigh in daily and I plan to log if I ever see the weight creeping back up. For me, it was all about breaking bad habits and making good habits.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to keep logging forever. I'm always on the computer anyway lol. But any method that works for you is a good method!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you! I hope to one day be able to achieve this as well.