Advice for those working in an office?

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I work at a computer all day! Can't move too much and do my job well.

I pour all my energy into one exercise session 4 - 5 times a week. If I concentrated on anything else other than my job, it would not be good do the nature of what I do.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I work at a desk job all day and there is even a lot of movement in that- restroom, talking with someone about a case, walking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. I'm there to work so I don't think about whether I move enough or not.
  • RetiredNavy_CT
    RetiredNavy_CT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I actually have a set of resistance bands I keep in my office, I'm able to do some bi & tri stuff during the day.
  • mightygirlruns
    Options
    For lunch, I pick a restaurant about a mile away and walk there. I tell myself that the only way I get to eat is if I walk to go get it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I pick a restaurant about a mile away and walk there. I tell myself that the only way I get to eat is if I walk to go get it.

The trouble with that is that I'd probably eat more extra calories at a restaurant than I'd burn off walking that mile. Packing my lunch helps me stick to my calorie goals. I still allow myself the occasional restaurant lunch, but I've cut down on them a lot since starting to lose weight.

Instead, I grab my camera and bring it with me on lunchtime walks. If I eat at my desk first, I can go out for a 30-45 minute walk, easy. And the camera gives me a reason to go with a destination in mind -- someplace to take photos. Photos are calorie-free. And they offer an excuse to go out even when the weather's miserable, for the challenge of capturing snowstorm or rain or low light photos.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We have a gym at my facility, yet I can't see myself working out on lunch and getting sweaty and coming back to the office. So the one thing that helps me is just reminding myself to get up as often as I can! I drink a ton of water, and both the restrooms and water cooler are on the other side of the building so I walk there frequently.

I have also noticed that a LOT of people in the office setting prefer to use emails or phone calls and never leave their desks. However, I have found getting up and going to another building or cubicle to talk to people works well, both for fitness and better communication. I would much rather walk around to consult with others instead of picking up a phone or emailing them. If it happens to be a day that I don't need to move around and talk to others as much, I take short breaks to walk around the perimeter of the facility. I am stuck inside a building with NO WINDOWS, so it is beneficial for me mentally as well to get outside and get some fresh air every few hours. I also park in the very back of the parking lot, so I have a good 1/2 mile walk each way from the car to my desk.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I lift for an hour every day on my lunch break!

but my gym happens to be across the street, so that helps
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    a desk trainer Good for burning 67 calories an our :smile:

auuvx2p41a6h.jpg

Do you actually do this at your desk?
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options

auuvx2p41a6h.jpg

Wow! I just looked into this little baby, I know what I want for Christmas :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »

auuvx2p41a6h.jpg

If somebody can give me some first hand experience with this thing, I might actually consider it!

• LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »

auuvx2p41a6h.jpg

If somebody can give me some first hand experience with this thing, I might actually consider it!

If you look it up google they have reviews, best I can help with as I have never used one myself.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice, I walk for 45 minutes of my 60 minute lunch. When it gets cold (like now), I take two 15 minute breaks and walk and walk during 10-15 minutes of my lunch.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind them being in German, I have a series of 3-30 minute videos of exercises you can do at your desk. :)
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The kitchen where I get my water is on the floor below me. I use a smaller glass so I have to go get water often. When I get water, I go down stairs, to the kitchen, up the back stairs and out the back door, around the building and back in through the front door, up the stairs and back to my office. It's about a 4 minute walk (it's a small building) but includes going up two sets of stairs. I also walk at lunch time and most days I try to make it to the gym before work. By the end of the day on most days, I have between 10 and 15K steps and 15-20 flights of stairs. At my last job, I kept an exercise band tied to the legs of my desk and would use it for leg exercises during the day - it was underneath my desk and people had no idea I was actually exercising! (I need to bring one of those in... I changed jobs recently and I just haven't brought a band in yet)
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider some body weight exercises?
    Incline Push ups, squats, reverse lunges, wall sits etc. (it also depends on how private your office space is or how little you care if people see you doing these things)
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I lift weights every other day in my lunch break. then eat/ shower and walk back to work. Spose im lucky to do this.

Im usually buggered from morning training and night training too so i like the days to sit down at a desk and recover

But i did have to adjust eating, as i went from working outside to indoors and put on 20kg over a couple years. Got all that under control now but :)