What healthy foods do you eat??

Options
I am trying to lose weight but more importantly just eat a healthy diet and cut out junk. But I am getting so sick of the food I usually eat. Does anyone have any suggestions for other foods I can try?
This is what I am eating now:
Breakfast - Whole wheat toast with easy-over egg.
Morning snack - Banana, nuts, or rye crackers with cream cheese
Lunch - Salad with chicken or leftovers from dinner
Afternoon snack - apple w/ natural peanut butter
Dinner - Varies every night (Whatever my mom cooks lol)

Not looking for anyone to critique my diet, just looking for new low fat, non-processed, nutritious foods to break the monotony. Thanks!

Replies

• hannahrichins
    Options
    Well I have some more snack ideas for you:

Almonds (nuts are very high in protein so they make a great snack!)
    Grapes
    Sliced cheddar cheese with a few crackers (this is a FAVORITE)
    Greek yogurt mixed with some fruit
    Whole grain English muffin toasted with peanut butter
    Carrots with humus
    Apple
    Sliced deli meat

Good luck! :D
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why low fat? fats are great and help keep your hair and skin nice, and keep you full :)

Taco salad is good: lettuce, tomato, black beans, salsa, some meat, a little cheese and avocado!

Also, stir fry: asian frozen veg (or fresh veg if you arent too lazy to cook), some brown rice and some meat/tofu with a bit of teriyaki sauce!

Oats for breakfast is a great choice, you can stir in some fruit, peanut butter, whatever
    Or pancakes:
    1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    1 small ripe banana
    Mix together and then cook on frying pan at medium heat.
    There are also protein pancakes you can make super easily if you have whey protein powder! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/20-best-healthy-protein-pancake-recipes.html

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is an essential macro-nutrient and important to a nutritious and balanced diet...you don't need to do "low fat". Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...eating too much makes you fat.

I eat a crap load of veggies (about 6-8 servings per day), a couple servings of fruit, lots of lean protein to include eggs, egg whites, chicken, lean cuts of pork, lean cuts of beef, and fish. I eat oats a lot...and legumes are a steady part of my diet. Brown rice is a staple as are sweet potatoes and red potatoes. I get most of my fats from cooking with olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, and butter as well as consuming avocados regularly and snacking on nuts.

Basically i eat a lot of whole foods and prepare meals from scratch, whole ingredients. Tonight I'm having a homemade ragu bolognese with some regular old semolina flower pasta (this is where portion control comes into play) and a nice side salad of mixed field greens and garden vegetables. Totally delicious...totally healthy.

• mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I like to make a batch of 12 egg muffins on Sunday for the week ahead. Just whip 6 eggs and add whatever veggies/protein/cheese you like to mix (or have on hand) and pour evenly across 12 muffin tins. Bake at 350 for about 20 min. They freeze nicely and make a great breakfast on the go.

I'm a big nut eater as well. I usually have a handful or two throughout the day for snacks

Lots of veggies, prepared all different ways. I love to roast cauliflower florets until they are a bit crispy and snack on them like popcorn.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I guess fruit, veggies, protein? I don't exclude any type of food based on it being "healthy" or not. You can see my diary, these are the types of foods I eat on a regular basis.

But FYI toast and crackers are "processed." So I mean, might as well just eat foods you love while being in a calorie deficit without being all "omg I need to not eat processed foooods!"
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Chicken,rice,cheesecake,cookies,peanut butter,tomatoes,green chili,jalapeno,spinach,lettuce,cupcakes,donuts,sausage,bacon,eggs,waffles,blackberries,strawberry,ice cream,gelato,baklava,chili. This list could go on and on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Chicken,rice,cheesecake,cookies,peanut butter,tomatoes,green chili,jalapeno,spinach,lettuce,cupcakes,donuts,sausage,bacon,eggs,waffles,blackberries,strawberry,ice cream,gelato,baklava,chili. This list could go on and on.

calcium in cheesecake.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i mean obviously you visit a grocery store to see all your F&V options so i would start with some simple recipes to liven things up.
    i have no real staples in my house because i eat different every week. i change it up all the time or else its hard for me to stick to plan. i use various websites like skinny taste and cooking light to give me some inspiration or make their posted recipes.
    good luck
  • sixofsvn
    sixofsvn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter in the morning (good fat in the PB). And Swiss cheese seems to have a lot less sodium than most other cheeses, good for lunch or a PM snack.
  • 1mountainmama
    Options
    Ha! You specifically said you were not looking for folks to critique your diet, and yet here they are critiquing! Well, I won't. I feel great when I eat oatmeal for breakfast. It keeps me full for a long time. I put on a wide variety of toppings but right now I am into dried blueberries, a little brown sugar and a splash of milk. Eat with an egg if you need some extra protein. Greek yogurt and granola or pumpkin seeds is delicious. Peanut butter is also great on bananas, celery and carrots! Also, google "greek yogurt veggie dip" I used to make a homemade veggie dip out of Greek yogurt but got tired of it (ate too often). Also I am learning that when I replace a lot of the processed grains in my diet (bread, baked good) with fruits and veggies I feel WAAAAY better! Still working on it, though. The other day I had turkey on apple slices (cut flat slices like little bread) and it was yummy and satisfying...
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    how about some oatmeal or smoothies?
  • k8dagr8
    k8dagr8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Usual is :
    -Greek Yogurt (whatever is on sale!)
    -carrot sticks
    -string cheese
    -season fruit (apple, grapes, strawberries, w/e)
    my lunch is usually left overs from dinner and my dinner go-to's are:
    -turkey tacos (usually over shredded lettuce)
    -turkey chilli (mmmm...love the crock pot!)
    -grilled chicken breast (boring but healthy)
    -meatballs and sauce (no pasta for me)
    -oh, and I will sometimes get those sauces steamable veggies and eat that as a lunch
    -I like the sliced deli meats and cheeses too, I make rolls of them since I don't tolerate gluten well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not fear fat. There are thousands if not millions of combinations of foods out there to eat. Vary your seasonings for different flavors. Try new fruits veggies beans or nuts that you may have never eaten before. Cook meat chicken & fish with varying spices. Healthy does not equal boring and tasteless!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: eggs, bananas, whole wheat toast, spinach smoothie, protein powder w/ almond milk, homemade clean muffins

Lunch: salad with chicken, egg, or avacado. apples. leftovers from dinner.

Dinner: chicken, fish, brown rice, veggies, beans. The occasional lean burger. whole grain pasta. chicken chili. seafood w/ whole grain pasta. QUINOA!

Snacks: trail mix (homemade w/ non salted nuts and raisins), organic yogurt w/ honey, 1oz cheese with 1c grapes, homemade granola bars