Period Weight

Options
A while ago I weighed in at 186.4 pounds. I think it was at the beginning of this previous week. I've been dieting and cutting back like crazy, but I gained four pounds and it made me unhappy this morning. But then I realized I had started my period. I've never really noticed how much I gain while on my period, but is 4-5 pounds normal? Or am I just doing something wrong with my diet. I've been exercising every other day for 45 minutes of constant movement. Running up and down stairs. Situps squats jumping jacks etc.

Replies

• brntwaffles27
    Options
    Yep! It's pretty normal to put on 4 or 5 pounds of water weight. I usually put on 3, and feel so bloated ugh.

Don't stress it, it'll fall right off a couple days after it ends, or sooner everyone is different haha.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty normal. It should start to go down around cycle day 3-5.
    I also always gained water weight during ovulation.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Very normal. I gain 2 pounds a week before and it comes off a bit after I start.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yep, normal, lovely feeling when you feel a bit lighter at the end of it though.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 1-7 pounds, it goes away quickly, though, sometimes taking more weight with it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    That's why I weigh in every day and log it. It helps me see my body's own patterns and fluctuations, and it helps me put slight gains in perspective when I can see the overall downward trend.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    IncredibleShrinkingSandy Posts: 118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I tend to not lose any weight during my period and then lose one-three pounds immediately between bleeding (which lasts 7 fudging days :s ) and ovulation. During the rest of the month I will lose about a pound to a pound and a half a week, on average. This has been the consistent pattern I have noticed with the 4 cycles I have had in the 4 months I have been dedicated to losing weight and improving my life.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    god am i ever with you. i gain and lose almost exactly 5 lbs every month during that week, and it's all i can do not to let it get to me. i am lightest just before ovulation, so i try not to take the little changes too seriously. thank god for MFP where i can at least look at the past few months and say "oh, it's just THAT again.."
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I can put up to 11 pounds of water weight during my TOM. I learned to stay away from the scale 3 days before and 5 days after.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    totally normal!
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I always gain 2lb without fail during period. Then I lose it straight after (unless I have eaten loads and gained 2lb during the period).
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    4-5 pounds is pretty average. Yay, water retention!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I've personally gained up to about 7 lbs when my TOM comes. So I think it's really normal.