going over on Protein

Options
So i've tracked protein in my diary because i NEVER used to eat fresh meat or fruit and veg - my diet was ALL packet micro meals and takeaways
I'm noticing that I'm going over my daily goal of 45g Protein, and sometimes hitting as high as 75g (i like chicken and pork)
Am wondering if there is anything wrong with going so far over the daily goal on protein?
I know that going over on carbs can slow weight loss, and going over on refined sugars is bad, but never knew about Protein

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I weigh 156lb and I eat 150g of protein a day. Not doing me any harm.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I weigh 148 and *aim* to eat at least 67g of protein base (1g per kg that I weigh) so that I can build muscle efficiently. As long as you're meeting (roughly) your other macronutrient goals so that your diet isn't deficient, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • pjharr
    pjharr Posts: 8
    Options
    I aim for 1 gram per pound of lean body weight. I pick things up and I put them down. In other words I lift with the intent to build muscle. I would worry more about your going under than over. If you wanna get rid of that surplus just send those protein grams over here. It would make my life easier.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've read a few times that MFPs protein and fibre goals are low and not to worry if you go over them.
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is true, the fiber and protein goals are very low. No worries if you go over in either category. I do many times and have never had a bad result.
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I never worry about my protein or fiber. But sodium....sodium is my sneaky nemesis!
  • lkmisztela
    lkmisztela Posts: 23
    Options
    I've manually adjusted the fibre and protein goals to be more in line with what I want - I don't like seeing red numbers staring at me at the end of the day. :P
  • aekriebs
    aekriebs Posts: 45
    Options
    It's a good possibility that if you are female and trying to lose weight, the carb/fat/protein ratios that MFP has set for you are a little off. You probably need to be eating MORE protein that what your diary says. I'm 5'1" and 125lbs. and I am supposed to eat a minimum of 67 grams per day, when I exercise it is even more. Try changing your percentages under your "goals" tab to reflect a 50/20/30 balance of carbs/fat/protein. Don't worry about going over on protein, just that you get enough. Worry more about going over on carbs and fat and try to stay under or even in those categories.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    My percentages are set to 40/40/20 carbs, protein,fat. I find this easy to stick to. Change your percentages to suit you.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't severely lacking on your other macros, and your overall cals are the same, it would be a good thing to be higher on protein.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    all my other tracked things are fine - sometimes im over on my sugars but most fo them are natural
    i am always under on my fat and saturated fat
    am thinking maybe my protein numbers should have been set higher than MFP set them - am aiming for 60g a day instead of the 45g that MFP has set me

feel free to keep an eye on my food diary and give constructive critisism where i may be going wrong
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I posted this the other day and got some great advice!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228886-protein-overload