Fitbit Charge HR review

Options
I signed up to be notified when the Fitbit Charge HR was released and had the opportunity to buy one last week (they are not yet available for general sale). Well, I've been wearing it for a few days and here are my observations, in case anyone is thinking about getting one.

1. It's very wearable. The watch-type strap is comfortable and doesn't fall off as easily as the Flex. It's thicker than the Flex, but very comfortable.
2. The display is great. Love having the watch display. With a press of the side button, you can view (in order): time, steps, heartrate, distance/mileage, calories, stairs climbed.
3. Syncs beautifully to my android phone.
4. Tracks sleep without having to start/stop it. Love that.
5. If you're doing non-walking/running activity, you have to press and hold the button to start and stop tracking that activity. Kind of annoying, but then it give you the total time and calorie burn of your workout which is nice.
6. Seems to up my TDEE (calories burned) from what my Flex used to. I don't know if this is due to more accurate measurements or if it's extra sensitive or what. For example, MFP now gives me several hundred more calories per day just based on my steps/calories from the Charge HR.
7. Don't have to remove the actual device from the strap to charge it, which is nice. The adapter plugs directly into the back of the strap.

All in all, I am happy with it. We shall see how it holds up over time. I like the Fitbit products when they work well, but have noticed they don't last so long. I've had two Zips and two Flex's. This one is a larger investment at $150, but so far I like it.

Replies

• skuggiaiko
    Options
    I really want one of them when they release - I almost did the early order, too, but I am hoping to get the plum one and only black was available. I am happy to see this positive feedback! Thank you for sharing :)
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad you like it.

About having to manually tell the watch you're doing workouts other than walking/running, I think that's a good thing. Basis Peak claims to do that automatically, but all the reviews I read that mention it say it's done incorrectly and just screws everything up and they wish they could manually tell the watch when they are doing workouts other than running/walking.

I think it's because you're having periods where your heart rate goes up dramatically and then comes back down after a very short time. The watch is not a mind reader. It just senses your heart rate to tell if you're running or walking.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the review. Thinking of getting one soon.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in finding out how accurate the HR measurement is. Apparently heart rate straps are the best way to calculate your heart rate?
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you go to fitbits site under HELP, there are tons of threads on it from people that just got it.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    skuggiaiko wrote: »
    I really want one of them when they release - I almost did the early order, too, but I am hoping to get the plum one and only black was available. I am happy to see this positive feedback! Thank you for sharing :)

I had the same thoughts I really want the plum color so I didn't do the pre-release order. Can't wait for the release.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Well I couldn't wait went on Kohl's website and ordered it, even though I was trying to wait for the plum one. I figure if it ends up being that big of deal I can exchange it or sell my black one and get the plum later.
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How accurate is the HR portion? I hear the wrist ones a almost useless.
  • almatters
    Options
    I also have one and like it. I hope the calorie counts are accurate. I like that I can use it for spin class
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for posting this review! My mother pre-ordered the Charge HR for me for Christmas and I should be getting it later this month. I'm eager to try it for myself but this information is great!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i'm so jealous! thanks for the review. do you know when it'll be released (or how i can get one asap)?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Is there an option to change out the band or if you buy a color, that is the color you have forever? I have a flex and am really interested in the HR option but would like to be able to have additional bands later.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I think your review is spot on. I agree with everything it says. Discounting its issues with calculating heart rate during intense cardio sessions, it really is a great device. I wish you were able to change the name of a workout on the Dashboard, but that's a really minor detail.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting the Charge HR, but a lot of the reviews that I've seen so far seem to say that the HR portion is not accurate. It's a nice device to use as a guide, though.
  • ABertolini915
    ABertolini915 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit Charge HR for a little over a week now and I could not be more dissatisfied. The heart rate monitor, which is the sole reason I bought the device, stops reading my heart rate numerous times throughout the day for no reason and does it consistently while working out. That in turn means I am not getting an accurate calorie burned count. I have done every trouble shooting recommendation and have come to the point that I am going to return it. If it cannot accurately tell me the calories I am burning, 45 for painting a large bedroom for 6 hours, because the heart rate monitor continues to stop reading then why did I pay $150 for a step counter?? Yesterday as I sat for 15 minutes typing it actually logged 120 minutes af activity...how is that even mathematically possible? Disappointing product. I would not recommend to anyone who takes their workouts seriously. There must be something better out there.
  • ABertolini915
    ABertolini915 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Horrible at keeping an accurate HR or calorie count because of inaccurate HR reading.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for a couple of weeks and have had no issues. Well one when I forgot to charge it. I will buy another cable to keep in my purse. It does need charging more often than my fitbit one. Not suprising since it tracks HR.

I have not used it weight training yet. So I am not sure how it will work with more arm movements. I wore my polar chest band when using an elliptical to see the accuracy and it was within a beat or two the whole hour I worked out.