ITBS/knee pain from running- how to recover?

Options
Hey all,

I recently ran a half marathon and had serious knee pain after it. I didn't feel anything all of training and it was my second half, but I had some bad pain on the outside of my knee. I rested up and slowly incorporated running back into my regimen. After a month, I did a 6 mile run and ended up in urgent care because the pain was so bad. I was put on a 6 day steroid regimen (I'm in the last 2 days of it now), but the doctor didn't really say what to do next.

Has anyone else been through this? If so, how did you remedy the issue? Did you start running again and, if so, what helped you recover?

I have a 15k race in a month and I'd like to run it. I won't count on it because I don't want to risk real injury, but if it's possible to rehab in time, I'd like to know how!

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you're doing heel-strikes? People claim forefoot or midfoot strikes alleviate knee stress. I don't have knee pain, but I'm not a distance runner. Maybe look into it, anyways.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you learning to do ITB stretches (since you mention ITBS in the subject line)?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Assuming it has been actually diagnosed as ITBS::

1) foam roller
    2) Google IT band stretches
    3) find a good massage therapist ( I missed 6 weeks of running due to ITBS a number of years ago - my massage therapist made me cry like a little baby but had me running again after a few sessions)
    4) hip & glute exercises to address muscular imbalances

orthoped.org/it-band-injury-symptoms-exercises-stretches-treatment.html
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    +1 for adding the foam roller.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Are you learning to do ITB stretches (since you mention ITBS in the subject line)?

That's the thing, she said it was the IT band, but she didn't give me anything but "here's some steroids, don't walk more than you have to until you're done with them."

It was urgent care and I wasn't pleased with the service, to say the least. But that's really all she told me.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That's the thing, she said it was the IT band, but she didn't give me anything but "here's some steroids, don't walk more than you have to until you're done with them."

It was urgent care and I wasn't pleased with the service, to say the least. But that's really all she told me.

Google IT band stretches and try those.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good stretching and foam rolling. Has prevented me from having more then the occasional IT tightness.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes, foam roll the IT band! Bought a foam roller when I was training for my half and it was great! When the IT band is tight it can displace your knee and thus running causes a lot of pain. Use the foam roller every day. It will be super painful at first, but will get better with time. Once your feeling well enough to run again (start slow), make sure you use it before and after runs!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sadly most GPs and emerg room docs know something less than diddly about running injuries. I got lucky when I had a Bakers cyst rupture and got a doc who was a runner.

If in doubt get a referral to a sports medicine clinic. With ITBS the usual problem is that the IT band has become inflamed (normally from overuse).

• runnerflute
    runnerflute Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dealt with ITBS during marathon training over the summer. Skimping on foam rolling and cross training can make this issue linger.

Since the ITBS is a band of connective tissue, you can't stretch it. You can, however, stretch and strengthen the muscles around it. This is a great free 30 day program that will get you stronger.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=KRtopBar

And I suggest finding a cross training activity you enjoy doing - it will keep your body happy and healthy. Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    I did a 6 mile run and ended up in urgent care because the pain was so bad. I was put on a 6 day steroid regimen (I'm in the last 2 days of it now), but the doctor didn't really say what to do next.

The next step is to see a physical therapist or sports doctor. Running injuries usually involve imbalances elsewhere in the body, so get a full assessment, and a customized treatment plan.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All good advice, definitely be sure to address strength training in addition to running. All of the muscles around your knee need to be super strong to protect the joint. There are TONS of online resources for suggestions re: how strengthen muscles slowly and carefully so as to not aggravate existing pain.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    How many miles on your shoes? It is amazing how much difference a new pair of shoes can make. Occasionally I can get 500 miles out of a pair. Usually no more than 400 before I start experiencing discomfort. Good Luck
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Assuming it has been actually diagnosed as ITBS::

1) foam roller
    2) Google IT band stretches
    3) find a good massage therapist ( I missed 6 weeks of running due to ITBS a number of years ago - my massage therapist made me cry like a little baby but had me running again after a few sessions)
    4) hip & glute exercises to address muscular imbalances

orthoped.org/it-band-injury-symptoms-exercises-stretches-treatment.html

This.

And rest.

I wouldn't do that race next month if you were recently in the ER with such bad pain. Need to rehab instead.