50 lbs in a year realistic?

Options

Replies

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    of course, you can do that in a month

I can't tell if this was serious or not, but I think even if I did have the ability to lose 50 pounds in a month, I wouldn't. That sounds scary.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    saamantha wrote: »
    Hiya :)

I think 50lbs is definitely doable. I lost my first 50 in less than a year. I was eating 1360-1520 calories a day, depending on exercise, and only ate back half of my exercise cals. I lost the most at the beginning of my weight loss journey, which is pretty typical.

Tons of Jillian Michaels DVDs, elliptical training and diet overhaul helped me lose the weight. I think that changing the way I ate actually helped me shave most of the weight off. Determination will get you there!

That's where I get pretty iffy about losing 50 lbs in a year, because it took me a year to lose the first (almost) 50 and I'm well into my weight loss journey at this point, so I suspect it'll be harder this time.

Also, congratulations on your success so far! You're doing great yourself.
  • Folmarv
    Folmarv Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Very possible! I've lost almost 70 lbs since May (with minimal work out, too). :) Try to perpetuate good habits!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can do that. :) I have lost 40lb since July with no extra exercise at all other than my daily life.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do that, I have lost 44lbs since August, not much exercise, just watching how much and what I eat. I also rarely cheat, stay on schedule all the time.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Absolutely reasonable. You'll probably lose faster at the beginning. You've got plenty of time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's doable. I've lost 54 pounds this year (248 to 194). Make sure you log everything accurately!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34lbs since July. You can do it!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    definitely doable im 12lbs away from 50lbs loss and I started smaller than you ive done it slowly and sensibly eaten around 1600 calories on average a day. good luck and enjoy your trip over here.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

I started at the beginning of January of this year and hit 50 pounds in late October/early November. It is definitely doable :)
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did it.....I was 172lb in January 2012 and by February/March 2013 I was 120lb....I'm back up to 135lb right now....but that's another story....sighhh....trying to get that off again.....totally doable though.....:)
  • Strikingly_Jackie
    Strikingly_Jackie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    absolutely doable... I am down 96 since February and I couldn't move for most of the month of November... be consistent!
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Definitely do-able. I've lost over 60 lbs since March. I started at 209. My friends cannot keep commenting on my appearance. I feel awesome! You can do it!
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Considering I lost 180 pounds in a year, I'd say 50 is doable... :)
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do that. I've gone down 55 pounds since June. (so like 6 months). So wanting to lose 50 in a year sounds really reasonable. Yes, you might not see the weight fall off as fast as you get closer to your goal, but even with that I think you should make it in a year if you are sticking to your calorie goals.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Most say that once you get to within 40 pounds of goal, you should drop down to 1 pound per week, and at twenty 20 pounds to goal, you should switch your weekly goal down to 1/2 pound per week.

With all of the posts for people struggling to lose the last ten or twenty pounds, I wouldn't necessarily bank on losing all 50 pounds by the goal you set.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but would just say to take the weight loss as it comes. You're already successful in my book, and you shouldn't put too much pressure to lose weight by a made up end date.
  • michsax14
    michsax14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable if you are committed!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    sure! i did it in 6 months. i really wasn't even "killing" myself. i ate around 13-1500 calories. i was starting 255 fyi. so if losing 50lbs gets you down to goal weight you might struggle more? i think the closer you get to goal weight the hard it might be for some people?