To weigh or not to weigh

Options
laurakayks
laurakayks Posts: 5 Member
edited December 2014 in Getting Started
Do you weigh, and if so how often? I am trying to lose 50 pounds without weighing *regularly*, though I am planning to have a co-worker take my measurements as an alternate way to stay accountable,

Replies

• Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you weigh? How will you know you lost 50 pounds if you don't weigh yourself? I weigh almost everyday but only long in MFP on the 10th, 20th and 30th of each month. Nothing scientific about that. Just random.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh every two weeks. I started daily. It did help in the beginning to see that there was or was not any progress, but then there were weight fluctuations. It drove me nuts.

Then I went weekly. So I weight once a week to see that I am in check with my goal. Make a change if necessary.

Second week I measure and log it all!

I readjust or change my plan if needed.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you aren't weighing yourself, then at least do not set your goal on losing a specific amount of weight. Having a goal that you will never achieve (well, at least will never know if you have achieved or not) is a sure way to lose motivation.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i weigh every week.

i find it helpful to check in once in awhile
  • Mrs_Brigham
    Mrs_Brigham Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I weigh daily. If I don't weigh, I don't feel accountable to myself, and more eating while ignoring the consequences is not what I need right now. When I first started weighing, I only did it weekly, and if I didn't see a loss, I would get really upset, and I would fall off my eating plan for a week (or two).
    So for me, weighing daily has made me more understanding of the natural fluctuations of my weight, and this has made me happier overall. Your results may vary, so do what works for you. :)
    Jess
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm with you. I hate the scale. Here's how you can do it.
    Figure out what clothing size you are now, and what size you would be fifty pounds down:

http://mybandita.blogspot.ca/2009/08/weightheightclothing-size.html

Here's a chart that gives corresponding bust, waist, and hip measurements.
    http://www.womenssizechart.com/

Be warned however that inches go down slower than the scale. You may not see movement for a while.

That all being said I am on a six week project myself to weigh daily just to understand my own fluctuations.
  • Vistarr1
    Vistarr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Every day for me. I have to know and it helps to keep me on track. But.... I realize our weight does fluctuate so I don't let it stress me if it goes for no reason. I know it's coming back down again and usually more comes with it. I don't let the scale indicate if it's a good day or bad.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    whilst weighing daily would give you very varying results you do need some form of marker so that you can see if what you are doing is right for you and is working. If it isn't then you can review and change things! Fortnightly would be far enough apart to not make it obsessive but close enough to measure if something is or isn't working and make changes it needed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily. Log daily. Measurements every Sunday.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because it keeps me accountable daily and it helps me track the changes in my eating and how they affect my weight.

If you weigh daily you have to know that there will be ups and downs on the scale regardless of how hard you work or fall off plan. I've noticed that the scale usually takes about 2-3 days to catch up to my effort. For me, when I see the number go up, I know I have to work harder, so it's my motivation.

Everyone is different. Find something that works for you, whether it is the scale, measurements, clothes, pictures. The one guarantee is if you don't monitor it somehow, you WILL NOT be successful 99.9% of the time. (No that is not scientific fact, but neither will your success unless you can measure it).

Find what works and put it into action NOW. Good Luck
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    If you aren't weighing yourself, then at least do not set your goal on losing a specific amount of weight. Having a goal that you will never achieve (well, at least will never know if you have achieved or not) is a sure way to lose motivation.

Agreed. Select measurement goals, clothing size goals, etc... if you aren't planning to weigh yourself. Personally, I weigh myself daily just to see the fluctuations from daily dietary changes. It doesn't disappoint me to see I "gained" 3lbs in a day because I know its water weight. Other people can't handle seeing those numbers vary so much.
  • michsax14
    michsax14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had problems where I weighed in everyday, and I found the scale would dictate my mood and eating for that day, so now I try to do it every week to two weeks. If you don't want to weigh in often maybe do it once a month or so?
  • Loohoo98
    Options
    I'm nervous about weighing and even my start weight may not be accurate as I'm taking it off a doctors visit from a month ago. I just know that when I weigh myself all I think about are the numbers instead of how I look and feel and it gets me down. I'd rather just look at myself and if I feel like I've lost weight I'll weigh myself for (hopefully) a pleasant "Suprise". When I dieted on here in the past I did weekly weigh ins and it made me very hard to live with.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day because that's what works for me
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale any more so I weigh in, do measurements at the gym once per month. I take progress pics and can see a big difference. Good luck with whatever you choose that works best for you!
  • tiffanymorash
    Options
    For me personally, weighing myself every day sets me up for failure. Sure I could lose 10 lbs and see it reflected on the scare, but then I'd treat myself, again and again and before you know it, that diet you were on just went out the window.

Another con of weighing yourself every single day is that you become obsessed with the number and not with the way you feel and look. Personally, I would measure your success by the way you feel (you can take measurements too), example: energy levels, mood, etc. The scale is important yes, but not if you're trying to get some where in the beginning - truthfully, the scale can hinder your progress hugely because in your mind, you have an expectation based on how hard you've been working and if that number on the scale does not reflect that expectation, you will feel as if you've failed and may give up. I've given up many times based on what was revealed to me on the scale.

So my advice, work hard for 2 or 3 months (don't stop though, keep going!) and then weigh yourself. By the 2nd or 3rd month you would have made huge strides in your progress and this healthy lifestyle you created will be something that your committed too and not something you would throw away if the scale doesn't reflect a certain number. Besides, fitness and health take time and it's a path that never ends. Plus - the transformation after this period of time will be so much more than a couple of pounds (if you're consistent) that it will completely shock you and send you on a mission to keep pushing!

I hope this helped! So basically, don't weigh yourself everyday - it's just a number, go with how you feel, how your clothes fit.

Good luck!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself. I can just TELL when I'm packing on too much - clothing getting too tight, feeling like a pile of crap, not liking what I see in the mirror. That's what I go by.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but since daily weight fluctuates all over the place, I have this equation to smooth out the variables to give me a steady curve (up, down or straight). This keeps me on track well, without me freaking out about daily changes.
  • slb1107
    slb1107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My friend made a resolution to not weigh herself. Still hasn't all year long. I'd go crazy. I have to be able to see progress. Or if no progress means I need to work harder.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It's just data collection. Weighing this frequently takes the emotion out of it because one single weigh in means little in the long run. I would be much more emotional weighing weekly or monthly because that weigh in means more.