Chafing!

Options
I know it's cos I got fat legs but I just wondered if anyone knows of any good ways of eliminating chafing? Just started power walking and jeez the tops of my legs are so sore! It'll improve as I lose weight I guess, but it's starting to put me off exercising :(

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Get underwear that have a bit of leg to them so that your upper thigh is covered. And no boxers or briefs. Also Baby Powder made from corn starch is good.
  • Trig0r
    Trig0r Posts: 47
    Options
    Depends exactly where and why I would of thought, I used to get cafage and it was from the seam in my boxers, changed underwear and its fine now, more so as my thighs arent as big as they were at the time..
  • DanielleAThomas
    DanielleAThomas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Try wearing stockings, the nylon stops the chafing.
    D
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I've read adding baby powder is a great improvement! It absorbs moisture as you begin to sweat where your legs are rubbing together and keeps a rash from building as quickly. :smile: For a long time I moisturized the area and it turns out that is the absolute wrong thing to do. :tongue:
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    the under armour long legged boxer things are great! And try going to a running store, maybe even a sports store, and get a bar of bodyglide. It's used like a deodorant but it really helps with chaffing. Baby powder is awesome too.
  • aoifebr
    aoifebr Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm not sure where your based but found this great cream called B3 which is specially designed for chaffing - good luck!
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    this is going to sound awkward but put deodorant on your inner thighs. I did that once when I wore a dress (mind you, I have very thick muscular thighs, so even when i was 130, I still had chafing problems), and I was fine until my skin absorbed it all...
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lanacane makes an anti chafing gel that you put on before working out. I've tried that and it works better than baby powder. For me the powder only helps after I'm already chafed. You can get it at the drug store
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Avoid seams and ideally get something like a pair of cycling shorts to wear (underneath everything else, if you aren't the cycling shorts type).

If you want to know real agony though, try runner's nipple - a curse on long runs when a sweaty top starts chafing on your nipples with every step, and if you don't know what it is, try a Google image search!
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was wearing boxers and they kept riding up (is this oversharing yet) lol
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide is magical. I started using it for running, but now I wear it on my thighs when I wear skirts and dresses as well.

If not online, you can find it at sports stores or outdoors stores (REI, etc.):

http://www.amazon.com/BodyGlide-Anti-Chafing-Stick-2-5oz/dp/B0025UIZUU
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    All good sugestions. I found this site when I first started walking and it gave me a lot of good ideas that have helped

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/blisters.html
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lanacane makes an anti chafing gel that you put on before working out. I've tried that and it works better than baby powder. For me the powder only helps after I'm already chafed. You can get it at the drug store

Bump! I did this on all sorts of chafe-prone spots last fall when training for a half marathon.
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    I use Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. :smile:
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You definitely need talc! It has many times been my saviour :)
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Deodorant works wonders for me. And Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder. That stuff is magic.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Deodorant works wonders for me. And Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder. That stuff is magic.

You've gotta be taking the pi$$?? Anti-Monkey-Butt powder??? lmfao!!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What about a bit of vaseline? Might help and easily avaliable.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options

You've gotta be taking the pi$$?? Anti-Monkey-Butt powder??? lmfao!!

*tries to resist the temptation to google it at work*
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bodyglide is magical. I started using it for running, but now I wear it on my thighs when I wear skirts and dresses as well.

If not online, you can find it at sports stores or outdoors stores (REI, etc.):

http://www.amazon.com/BodyGlide-Anti-Chafing-Stick-2-5oz/dp/B0025UIZUU

I'm a runner and now that it is getting a bit warmer use Bodyglide on more body parts than you want to hear about. Toes, bottom of foot, top of foot, bra line (I guess you wouldn't need to do that area :o) ), and sometimes waist area where band would rub.