Healthy Holiday Eating ideas

Options
ruthierama
ruthierama Posts: 16 Member
I am looking for good ideas to serve for the holidays. I want to serve very healthy choices so help people stay on track... All recipes and tips welcome and helpful!! :) Thank you!!! <3

Replies

• seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like to find healthy recipes for holiday or family functions on skinnytaste.com
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Turkey or ham (good lean protein), roasted brussels sprouts, roasted potatoes, big garden salad, etc

For the most part, I don't find holiday food to be particularly "unhealthy"...the bigger issue people have is shoveling everything into their pie holes all day long, including the whole pie.

The issue with holidays isn't the food, it's the quantity that is generally consumed. People need to practice more self control and portion control...that's all they need to do if they want to stay on track. For my part, I really don't worry about it...it's one day...if people put as much focus and energy into the vast majority of the days in a given year as they do holidays and special occasions, everyone would be healthy and fit.
  • ruthierama
    ruthierama Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ruthierama wrote: »
    I am looking for good ideas to serve for the holidays. I want to serve very healthy choices so help people stay on track... All recipes and tips welcome and helpful!! :) Thank you!!! <3

Is your whole family trying to lose weight?

If that's the case then it's really up to them about portion control. But you can serve steamed veggies and roasted potatoes (instead of mashed). Sweet potatoes are healthy as well - as long as the portion isn't too large. You can also make a veggie tray with hummus.

But on Christmas I would let people make their own choices as to whether or not they want to 'stay on track'. It's only one day :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    chocolate,,, and um, more chocolate... its the holidays!, time to whoop it up!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    desertswithbenefits.com
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Here's what I made last year: vegan sweet potato cornbread, acorn squash with cranberry apple stuffing, savory broccoli cauliflower roast, grilled shrimp, mini date-nut snowballs for dessert. Was awesome. Even my picky eater didn't complain. We're cruising this year, so won't be cooking for Christmas.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast generally qualifies. Mashed sweet potatoes with maximal cinnamon and minimal sugar/butter. Whole wheat rolls. Green beans with a light garlic sauce. An apple crumble with less sugar/fat in proportion to oats on the topping; no sugar needed in the fruit, just cinnamon and allspice and maybe a snap of ginger.