Please help me with this!!!

Options
I know this has been beat to death, but I really don't know how to search topics on past forums so I'm going to ask again, sorry!

My son is 6'1, and weighs around 155, but he drops weight for wrestling to 152, he would like to go down to 145 and the trainer/skin fold test said that the lowest he could go is 140 according to a healthy BMI, but how do I go about finding what calories he should be eating to lose down to 145 if he is able to, I tried finding some TDEE and BMR on-line but am confused on how to read them, thanks advance for help,

Replies

• paf370
    Options
    There are various sites on the Internet where you type in the gender, height and weight and receive a BMI and calorie requirements. I don't know the site names.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Those kids do themselves no favors when making weight.

I'd consult his doctor to find out what weight he should be and what foods he should eat.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'd consult his doctor to find out what weight he should be and what foods he should eat.

I did take him in for a check up because I could not believe that 140 was healthy at 6'1, but according to the BMI he is the normal range at 139-189, crazy I know, He like has no fat, but if he is wanting to do it, I want to help him do it healthy as possible, I don't want him to starve himself like so many do.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    He's in his teens still? It couldn't be good for a growing 6+ ft. boy to bring his weight down that low.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I find this one easy to use, thorough, and accurate: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Seems like a very large "normal" range.....maybe consult another doctor? And while you are at it, ask them for nutrition advice based on your son's needs.....
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I did take him in for a check up because I could not believe that 140 was healthy at 6'1, but according to the BMI he is the normal range at 139-189, crazy I know, He like has no fat, but if he is wanting to do it, I want to help him do it healthy as possible, I don't want him to starve himself like so many do.

Consult a pediatric nutritionist. Playing with weight like that is typically not healthy for someone growing. Dropping weight just to meet a weight class if not a good idea. As the parent, his well being is in your hands. It is perfectly okay to tell him that you do not approve of him dropping his weight like that.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Give him a trash bag and an empty bottle to spit into. That's how you lose weight for a match. Then as soon as you weigh you pound water. Or has this old trick gone by the wayside in today's society? Cause that's just as healthy as a teenager starving down to a weight just to make a class.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    May I ask why he wants to drop to that weight class? My son dropped from the 220 class to the 195 but he didn't start at 220, he was actually 205 and thus he was wrestling kids who had 15 pounds on him. He also had a higher body fat percentage then and could afford to lose those 10 pounds. I would be really worried about him trying to drop to the next class if he was already a healthy weight.
  • iblack30
    Options
    This website has a variety of calculators including BMR and BMI and BF. I hope that they are useful! http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators/
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    May I ask why he wants to drop to that weight class? My son dropped from the 220 class to the 195 but he didn't start at 220, he was actually 205 and thus he was wrestling kids who had 15 pounds on him. He also had a higher body fat percentage then and could afford to lose those 10 pounds. I would be really worried about him trying to drop to the next class if he was already a healthy weight.

because he is being bumped by another kid, believe me I don't want him to drop, but he will do it whether I say no or yes. He is only 15 and believe me, I know it is not healthy, but when kids are determined to do something, they will do it. and I want to help him do it as healthy as possible. His doctor has been his doctor since he was a baby, so I do trust him. he didn't say that he should go to 140, he just said according to the BMI, that is the lowest he could be at his height. his dad is naturally tall and had been very thin, so he has that going for him, but another 7lbs scares me...I just wanted to show him that he had to eat, and maybe if he saw it on the computer he would believe it over me telling him, because you know, a mom doesn't know anything.

and yes, spitting and not eating all day before weigh in is still what everyone does, then after weigh in, they drink and eat, its at least 1-1/2 hours before the meet. But he wants to go another 7. and just doesn't look like he has any more fat to lose.

Thank you for the websites, I will check it out. and go over it with him more. He is only in 9th grade so he has a few years to wrestle yet, so if he gets bumped he'll just have to go to JV again. no biggie... thanks again