TOM- always hungry. why?

Options
Am I the only one? I feel like I can never get enough to eat during TOM. Bloating, cramps, all of that crap, I never have to deal with. But omg I am constantly starving!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    yes
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just up your protein to half your body weight in grams and make sure you drink half your body weight in oz for water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only one. :) Lots of women have that issue. Carbs and candy seem to be the most craved for me. A few days into it or just after it ends, I start craving meat.

So I eat more carbs before and more meat after. Happens almost ever period, in varying intensity.

I don't eat the candy. :)
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yep happens to me too. It's your body's way of dealing with all that's happening.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Sure. And you know what? I just go with it. Obviously I don't get totally ridiculous, but I do just eat when my body craves. It doesn't set back my journey too much.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's because your metabolism goes up a little bit due to the changes in hormone levels (maybe burn a couple hundred more caloriesa day), so you're hungrier.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just up your protein to half your body weight in grams and make sure you drink half your body weight in oz for water.
    This is so wrong. Except for the water, drink enough water
    You need to eat enough fruit and veg for several reasons.
    - your body is telling you it needs extra vitamins and minerals and possibly calories. Just eat more vitamin/mineral rich foods.
    - the fiber in fruit and veg will help flush out water weight and other junk out of your system.
    - cut out dairy, chances are you may be lactose intolerant and it can make bloating worse.
    - go low on the sodium, this should be pretty obvious.

P.S. I just got my period yesterday and I'm not bloated, pretty flat as an ironing board :)
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Waaaaaa! I have this. Well I hope that's what this current hunger is! Fingers crossed it ends tomorrow!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I totally get this. I just want to consume my bodyweight (plus my cat's bodyweight) in chocolate for about 5 days every month. I don't think its ACTUAL hunger as I will turn down healthier choices. (I think I remember someone saying that if you turn down healthier choices its not real hunger).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The day before mine arrive I'm hungry all day long. Nothing seems to satisfy me! Thank goodness it's only for that one day and not the whole week!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I just want to consume my bodyweight (plus my cat's bodyweight) in chocolate for about 5 days every month. I don't think its ACTUAL hunger as I will turn down healthier choices. (I think I remember someone saying that if you turn down healthier choices its not real hunger).

My inner dialogue last Friday:

Upon leaving the house: Grab that apple and some nuts in case you get hungry.
    Two hours later:
    I wonder if I have any chocolate in my bag?
    You have fruit and nuts!
    That isn't chocolate.

I just would not eat the apple. I was willing to go hungry rather than eat an apple and some nuts. It was past dinner time by the time I got home, but I still hadn't eaten my healthy snack!

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Heck no you're not alone. I have a sort of compromise; I measure out a shot glass full of chocolate chips and very slowly eat that amount. No refills lol. And I log it. But it satisfies me without the calories just going completely overboard.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I listen to my body and I eat. I measure everything out, log it, and eat. Last week, I was starving like nothing would satisfy me. I went over my calories with no exercise, ugh... oh well, log it and I move on. Yesterday I started my period... good thing the whole day was a busy day for me, so I was walking everywhere, and just ate fast food. At the end of the day I logged my food and my walking (cuz it's out of my norm). I've come to realize that if I don't listen to my body and eat whatever I want without caring about calories that one day, then that craving lasts more than just the one day. I rather screw up one or two days, than several days during a week. It what works for me.

Now I will go bake a lemon pound cake. :yum: And enjoy it slowly during several days. :smiley:
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I get the worst carb cravings. The last few months though I've found that a little bit of dark chocolate every day and lots of tea helps keep it manageable! And just make sure I don't have a lot of extra food in the house or I'd eat it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I must be the opposite of everyone else. I have a sweet tooth the rest of the months. But 3-4 days before TOM I start craving salty foods. And then when it actually starts, I lose my appetite for the first couple of days and want to eat less and just exercise. Weird, I know. But I get bad cramps the first day or so, and exercise helps them, while eating/digesting meals makes them worse. So that's probably why.

It's the most motivated I ever am to work out, so hey, not complaining. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I must be the opposite of everyone else. I have a sweet tooth the rest of the months. But 3-4 days before TOM I start craving salty foods. And then when it actually starts, I lose my appetite for the first couple of days and want to eat less and just exercise. Weird, I know. But I get bad cramps the first day or so, and exercise helps them, while eating/digesting meals makes them worse. So that's probably why.

It's the most motivated I ever am to work out, so hey, not complaining. :)

At least you're getting something positive out of our monthly visitor.
    I think they should just go away and STOP after we're done having kids!!!

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just want to eat all the salt. I crave sodium so much.
  • mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This. Yes.