I know it's just water retention, but..

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
It still makes me feel bad. It is my TOM (hopefully it's nearing its end), and yesterday we had a shop lunch at Chili's. Instead of getting grilled salmon (which seems to be the ONLY reasonable thing to eat on the menu), I let my willpower combust and chose the honey chipotle chicken crispers. I told myself that I didn't care, I deserved a treat after turning down so many yummy foods over the weekend. I wasn't surprised when the scale showed an increase this morning, but still. It's disheartening. So even though I know all of the reasons why it happened, that it's just my body retaining water and one day of 2500-3000 calories won't set me back, it still helps to hear the reasons from other people. So if you could, provide me some motivation and support so I can get rid of these feelings of self pity!

Thank you so much. That's why I love this community. I feel like I'm accountable to everyone here. It's not just me I'm cheating when I have a bad day, it's the entire MFP community. :)

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You're right that it's water retention, both from hormonal changes and from the chicken crispers.

Having gone through 3 TOM's here now, I see the same thing every month: 1 week where the scale won't budge and then a very nice drop when the hormonal madness ends. Even though I know the cause, it can still be a sort of :sick: feeling when the scale suddenly stops moving.

But I try my best to focus on my behavior, rather than the scale. If I keep eating well and exercising moderately, that scale will move eventually. It's more reinforcing to me to measure things that I can truly measure every day--which is my eating and my exercise.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    If it bums you out so much to see the scale go up, avoid it when you know it will- like after a day of eating bad or durring your TOM. I used to weigh in every day and I still do for the most part but if I know the scale is going to go up, I will avoid it for a day or two just so I don't get down on myself. All that salt in those chicken crispers plus TOM is for sure making you retain water. Drink a ton of it, weigh in after TOM leaves.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    :sad: I weighed myself yesterday at 199 and today i was 196...Saturday i was 195...yea water retention my tom is next week so I need to prepare to see disappointment in the scale
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    Im dealing with the same thing right now....last thursday i went to the melting pot and went wayyy over board then got my TOM that night...needless to say on weigh in day i was up a pound....i was so upset but i faced it and am working on erasing it....i checked this morning since im nearing the end of my TOM and scale is already showing improvement....everyone is allowed to have a day to enjoy and being woman our TOM can really throw us off but just keep in mind it will get better once its over!! keep up the great work!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My TOM gets later each month. He arrived today 8 days late and I have put 2lb on overnight. Dont beat yourself up, it happens to us all. Just try to stay on track and the scales will move when its finished.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    Just cause you messed up doesn't mean we'll disown you! Just jump back on the wagon and go for it.

ps at Chili's, if you get the chicken fajitas with out any side items (condiments or tortillas) it's less than 600 cal i believe. :)
  • Slaying_All_Day
    Slaying_All_Day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gain 5 lbs in water weight everytime my TOM rears it's ugly head, BUT the bright side of this is that your metabolism is much higher during your TOM vs. when it isn't around.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    TOM is definitely an annoying monthly visitor! :) I avoid the scale like the plague when it's TOM, and weigh-in only after it's completely gone. It's definitely discouraging to see any gain on the scale, even though we know in our heads it's because of water retention. It may help to put away your scale when TOM comes, and just focus on getting enough water to flush out any extra sodium you may be getting in your diet. If you are consistent in your healthy eating and exercise habits throughout TOM, you'll probably end up losing weight by the time it's gone. keep your spirits up, take it one day at a time, and stay committed! and look at the progress you've already made - you're doing great so far! :flowerforyou:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    The next two weeks are probably going to suck then.. my TOM is all confused because I started birth control out of cycle (due to a miscarriage and others things which I won't go into here), so I'm sure I'll have another "period" next week when I'm on my off week of pills. Maybe I just won't weigh for a couple of weeks. My next goal is to hit 150 by May 14. Perhaps I should wait until then to weigh? :\ It's so hard NOT to, though. My husband wakes up every morning and weighs, and it's right beside the toilet. Hm.

I wonder if that will provide more motivation to stick with everything, since I know I'll be working towards a goal.