Can't #2

Options

Replies

• CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The salt water may do the trick- every time I swim in salt water, I make a mad dash to the restroom.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I know this is such a difficult topic to talk about but how often do you usually go? Even though some people seem to think that you have to go every day, you really don't if that's not normal for you, and forcing yourself to do so can actually be harmful (if you've never seen a rectal prolapse, trust me, it's not something you want to see). I've always been like every other day or every third day. I'm 43 years old and it's ALWAYS been that way.

But what I noticed is that when I increased my protein, if I don't drink enough water and eat enough veggies, it will slow down. Have you increased protein intake lately? Because it might be that.

Anyway, yeah, coffee will help. I also drink some Nestle hot cocoa at night, which seems to help as well. It's the caffeine and extra water in general that helps. Prune juice or the prunes themselves are something you can try as well.

If you start to feel uncomfortable, take an ex-lax. As long as you're not dependent on it and only take it once in a while, it's not going to hurt you. But if your bowels don't right themselves on their own after say like another week, talk to a doctor.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Second the water. But also, are you eating a low-fat diet? Dietary fat definitely helps.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Um, if you are hitting your fiber goal and haven't had a MB in a week... I am concerned for your health. I understand you want a home remedy, but you really don't want an impacted bowel. Please seek medical assistance.
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    I'm usually an every other day person. One night I thought I was going to die from stomach bloating, but it was just gas. I travel a lot a usually blame the water changes, but I actually was off for a few days this week and drank my "normal water". I have taken ex-lax before, but it's so dang gross.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements (seconding the recommendation) will really keep you regular. I'm on them for migraines of all things, but was pleasantly surprised how they helped with chronic constipation.
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    33% fat over the past 7 days. 46% carb, 21% protein. I have it set at 45C, 35F, 20P so I'm close to being on target. That is what a RD recommended for me a few years ago.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm vegan-- I po0p several times a day...are you getting enough vegetables?? Try eating some broccoli. All vegans I know go that often. I'm not sure if meat backs people up or we "go" because we eat a lot of veggies. But it can't hurt to eat extra veggies. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I used to be a raw foods vegan. I still had problems with constipation thanks to my thyroid. That doesn't make your recommendation for more veggies a bad one, though. I'm an ovo-lacto veggie now, but I don't think meat has anything to do with regularity.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan-- I po0p several times a day...are you getting enough vegetable?? Try eating some broccoli. All vegans I know go that often. I'm not sure if meat backs people up or because we eat a lot of veggies. But it can't hurt to eat extra veggies. :)

Ditto this. But Smooth Move tea always does the trick.

• yourpalsoap
    Options
    I'm vegan-- I po0p several times a day...are you getting enough vegetable?? Try eating some broccoli. All vegans I know go that often. I'm not sure if meat backs people up or because we eat a lot of veggies. But it can't hurt to eat extra veggies. :)

idk, I'm vegan and I don't? eating lots of veggies should help because of the fiber but honestly it's going to differ between everyone :--)

OP you mentioned being in pain from stomach cramps so I take back what I said before; you should go to the doctor.
  • jennidee12
    Options
    Omg. This happens to me too. But the funny thing is that It only happens when I have been eating a lot of unhealthy carbs. Drinking coffee does help (usually when I don't want it to,) But definitely drink lots of water. Water flushes everything out. And eat plainly just fruit and vegetables and lean meat (no red meat) for a couple of days (no carbs, grains or cheese!). This, along with drinking lots of water, will cleanse your system. If it doesn't then you may need to see a doctor but i'm pretty sure this will help.

I went out with my family over the weekend and we went out to eat about three times in two days. It hurt my stomach, but then I ate only vegetables for (only one day) and it helped it a lot!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Charlene let us know you go, and what worked for you. Good luck xx
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I increased my fiber tonight- just made eggs and 2 high fiber English Muffins for dinner instead of my leftover sushi. I also forgot to mention that my period will start Friday or so and that usually helps move things along. Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring relief though.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    How often do you normally go? Some people only regularly go every 3-4 days, so an extra day or two after a diet change is not anything crazy. If you're normally an every day type of person, I, personally, would try the ex lax and lots of water. If that doesn't get things moving, I would head to the doctor.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Get some fiber in your diet OP.
  • CharleneMarie723
    Options
    Ahhh. Went! :) And I dropped .7lbs overnight. I know where that came from.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

On day 10 of calorie restriction. I'm 29, F, 5'4", 137 lbs. I've reduced my calories to 1300-1400 per day. I've been hitting my macros pretty well and have been meeting my fiber goal of 25g/day or more. But I haven't pooped in almost a week (Dec 5). I don't feel full or bloated, but I would like to go- I'm thinking I should need to go by now.

I've been doing some "light exercising": walking for an hour or so and a 5K 4x/week with a bit of weight lifting at home and doing a yoga DVD. But I am quite active doing my job. I don't add in my exercise calories and instead just set my lifestyle to active. I've dropped 3.2lbs since Dec 2.

What should I do about it? I have ex-lax but really don't want to take it if I don't need to. Will eating a bit more tonight maybe do the trick?

Thanks, and sorry.

I had the same issue once I started losing weight. Except I was super miserable. It lasted about 5 months.

The only thing that has worked for me (and I tried everything) is a daily magnesium supplement. I love being regular.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yep, detox tea. Also a powdered Magnesium supplement.
  • clearlybrunette
    clearlybrunette Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i take 5 HTP (pure with no fillers) and saffron ( with satiereal and no fillers) supplements- it helps me to go when my fat intake is low. Currently i am 60 carbs/30 protein/ and 10 fat