I hate greek yogurt. Other options?

Options
I feel like most recipes for so many different health options include greek yogurt, or people just recommend eating greek yogurt in the morning with fruit. But I just can't get past the tart flavor of it. Is it bad that I'd rather eat yoplait's flavored yogurts instead? Or do you have any other ideas?

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You could just not eat Greek yogurt - problem solved! In recipes, you're probably not going to actually taste the Greek yogurt. It's often used as a "healthier" alternative to sour cream or mayonnaise.

You could also add things to it - sweetener/sugar, jam, peanut butter, etc. Or you could eat flavored Greek yougurt, like the ones Yoplait makes. I can't stand plain Greek yogurt, but I like the flavored ones a lot and it's a nice high protein snack.

If you don't like it with stuff added or the flavored varieties, skip it. Greek yogurt is hardly a requirement.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i just don't eat yogurt lol
    im not big on yogurt either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah go for the flavored kind! Still more protein than regular yogurt.

Or mix jam and fruit with it. I made a parfait this morning with plain Greek yogurt, 1.5 serving of apricot jam, some raspberries, and some honey almond granola... It was absolutely delicious and not tart at all (and 350 calories, but heck).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think as long as you're not getting the ones with candy mix-ins on the lid (yum, though) whatever kind of yogurt you like is fine. I've been on the fence lately about the low cal/low fat craze. But I used to eat the Dannon Lite n' Fit Greek which isn't as tart as other varieties. (Which I believe has something to do with it being 'Greek style'.) Regardless, it's closer in texture & flavor to regular yogurt.

Otherwise, what are your thoughts on cottage cheese?
  • Judie1933
    Options
    Learn to make your own. Its easy - I have done it for decades.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Most yogurt is full of crap. Even the ones you think are healthy for you. I've started eating 1/2 cup of organic yogurt with a 1/2 tbsp of honey and it tastes awesome. The yogurt itself is pretty bad. But that is 60 calories of a filling snack! Your taste buds will change too over time too....Buy a big bulk container and it'll be just as cheap as the single serving main stream yogurts.

But you don't have to eat yogurt either ;)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't think yogurt is such an amazing food that you should force yourself to eat it if you don't like it. Plenty of other ways to get calcium.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think yogurt is such an amazing food that you should force yourself to eat it if you don't like it. Plenty of other ways to get calcium.

This. I eat a lot of it because I really like it, but there's no reason at all to eat it if you don't. It's an easy way to boost protein, but there are plenty of other options for that too.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    for my dessert just now at lunch I had a cup of oikos plain greek mixed with 2 tablespoons chocolate pb2(powdered peanut butter) and a packet of stevia.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I feel like most recipes for so many different health options include greek yogurt, or people just recommend eating greek yogurt in the morning with fruit. But I just can't get past the tart flavor of it. Is it bad that I'd rather eat yoplait's flavored yogurts instead? Or do you have any other ideas?

I don't think you'd be able to taste it at all in recipes.

People do love their Greek yogurt, but I just don't like it. If you really like Yoplait yogurt, or Dannon, or Light n Lively then go for it. But in my opinion there are much better tasting protein options :)

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    wine and cheese???
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt, but not the Greek kind. Too thick and gives me the runs due to the specific culture. What my nutritionist told me is I can get more protein into it with minimal cals by adding some PB2 into the yogurt. Vanilla nonfat works well for this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like it because I have to watch my liquid intake at meals (my particular problem, not general advice). The benefit of yogurt is the protein and the calcium. I bet you would change your mind if you tried a high-fat high quality Greek yogurt. But truly, each it's own. My daughter rejected ANYTHING white and creamy as disgusting. As alternatives you might try:
    • Milk
    • Low-fat old cheddar
    • Milk alternative like soy or almond
    • Cream cheese
    • Quark
    • Egg
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese has a more milder taste if you're looking for something similar. Just make sure to watch the sodium if you go low fat or fat free.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also, ricotta cheese might work.
  • jennidee12
    Options
    add brown sugar lol. That's probably bad but It makes it taste less tart and then add the fruit. Or yeah just don't eat it.
  • jennidee12
    Options
    Or! Swap your sour cream and use the plain greek yogurt. This sounds really gross, I know, but since it's so tart it really tastes like sour cream, and it's healthier and you're still digesting that good bacteria that plain yogurt provides.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal with yogurt is. Why do you need a replacement? Just don't eat it. There are still much better yogurts than yoplait though. Try some other fun brand.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A lot of recipes recommend Greek yogurt because there's less whey. It changes the amount of liquid you use and effects viscosity. Same thing with ricotta and cottage cheese. It's not important if you understand how it interacts with the food. It would matter more in baking for instance.
  • grammaNe
    Options
    I do like Greek yogurt, but I much prefer Fage plain, non-fat. I add a package of Truvia, some cinnamon and about 1/3 cup of frozen fruit defrosted. It's not tart, not overly sweet, and not at all chemically tasting. My go-to breakfast.